• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

I just finished reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow.
I also just finished reading a book - by Irwing Stone, on Michelangelo: "Agony & Ecstasy".
Re-reading really, as I've read it at 20.
I am not sure everybody would love it, but I liked it very much.
That's a real historical book, with loads of real material used by the author to tell the story.
And again, exactly as 25 years ago, it is very difficult for me not to start trying something creative myself... I've finally taken to wood carving then, by the way...

So, if somebody likes to think he/she could be an artist - painter, carver, etc. - that's the book one must read.

Plot Twists

In terms of plot twists, I thought Jeffrey Deaver's 'The Vanished Man' was outstanding and about as good as it gets. I had about three different scenarios in my head from about half-way and none of then turned out to be right (althought that may tell you more about me than the author).

Harlan Coben (Deaveresque) is also first class at this. It is true that if you are looking for scene immersion and super descriptive narrative, then these are not the authors for you, but if its just the twisting of a tale and some strong characterisatiobn then they are top draw.

p.s. Just finished 'Life Expectancy' by Dean Koontz and he's a mile away from Deaver and Coben...

Sergo said:
Wow.
I also just finished reading a book - by Irwing Stone, on Michelangelo: "Agony & Ecstasy".
Re-reading really, as I've read it at 20.
I am not sure everybody would love it, but I liked it very much.
That's a real historical book, with loads of real material used by the author to tell the story.
And again, exactly as 25 years ago, it is very difficult for me not to start trying something creative myself... I've finally taken to wood carving then, by the way...

So, if somebody likes to think he/she could be an artist - painter, carver, etc. - that's the book one must read.

hi sergo i see you are back. does this mean we will be losing kenny shovel to your members introductions thread? :D

nice to see you.

Ya Krunk'd Floo said:
I am unable to comprehend why-oh-goddamn-why people continue to read Clive Cussler's books for young adults...

Stick around, it only gets worse…

Sergo said:

Hmmm, historical-*fiction*.

Sure. And then go to Rome and let the Pope force you to into doing some work you have no interest in thereby completely making you ignore what you want to do.

Stone has also done this treatment with Vincent van Gogh (_Lust For Life_)
And Darwin, and Freud…
In case yer interested.

Frankly I prefer to just read the letters/writings by these people.
j

jenngorham said:
hi sergo i see you are back. does this mean we will be losing kenny shovel to your members introductions thread? :D

nice to see you.

Hi Jenn!
Thanks for noticing me.
As to Kenny... Of course I cannot own him. So I hope we will be able to keep our small talk, and as to your losing him... Mmmm... I really do not think I could be able of stealing something, and even less so - somebody...

:D

jay said:
Hmmm, historical-*fiction*.

Sure. And then go to Rome and let the Pope force you to into doing some work you have no interest in thereby completely making you ignore what you want to do.

Stone has also done this treatment with Vincent van Gogh (_Lust For Life_)
And Darwin, and Freud…
In case yer interested.

Frankly I prefer to just read the letters/writings by these people.
j

Yep, thanks, I know, but Michelangelo is much more interesting for me, as I was quite interested in sculpture some time ago... And am even now.

And all those obstakles are the realities of life one must learn to live with.

Yep, "Historical fiction". I think that Stone accomplished good results with the right amount of facts and fiction mixed together. Fiction without facts would have been less interesting, as the hero is a real person, and facts without fiction... Yes, to read letters could be great, but I imagine it is harder than reading fiction, and not everybody would be ready for it.

Sergo said:
And all those obstakles are the realities of life one must learn to live with.

I’d use a *far* different word than obstacle when I refer to the church, but ok ;)

Yep, "Historical fiction". I think that Stone accomplished good results with the right amount of facts and fiction mixed together.

Sure, sure. I wasn’t busting on it. Anthony Burgess has done this too (Shakespeare, Marlowe, Joyce…)…

Yes, to read letters could be great, but I imagine it is harder than reading fiction, and not everybody would be ready for it.

Very true. And books sales prove this so.

If you’re still on the Michelangelo kick, there are a few books with his poems and letters, sometimes complete, sometimes selected.
j

The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, Anne Bronte
I actually enjoyed this more than I did either Jane Eyre or Wuthering Heights the first time I read them, which just goes to show you shouldn't trust the popular choice. The heroine is strong and likeable, rather than insane or ridiclously submissive, and, cliché though it be, you could call this a feminist novel. Anne Bronte's "just delineation" of her male characters is equally real, especially in Hargrave, whose arrogance in assuming Mrs Huntingdon could not do better than to run away with him, and his accusation that she is ungrateful, is portrayed with equal amounts of wit and fury.
The ending was curiously dissatisfying, if only because the reconciliation seemed ridiculously short; and, I also found myself thinking, if she loves him so much, why does she not guess that his reserve is due to circumstances rather than a lack of love?
Still, absolutely brilliant, wonderfully descriptive and possibly ahead of its time. Although it took me about five seconds to figure out that
Lawrence is Helen's brother
I have a couple of Charlotte Brontes to read next so we shall see if this turns out my favourite.

jay said:
I’d use a *far* different word than obstacle when I refer to the church, but ok ;)
Errr... ;) I've thought you had here some restrictions... I could have told you my personal opinion on religion... But I rather not: I like to keep coming here sometimes.
jay said:
Sure, sure. I wasn’t busting on it. Anthony Burgess has done this too (Shakespeare, Marlowe, Joyce…)…

Very true. And books sales prove this so.

If you’re still on the Michelangelo kick, there are a few books with his poems and letters, sometimes complete, sometimes selected.
j

Yep, I am - though I do not believe my language skills would make it possible for me to understand fully the beauty of his lyrics...
I imagine that the only way to obtain these letters are to buy these books? Really, I have never used the Amazon...

Sergo said:
Errr... ;) I've thought you had here some restrictions... I could have told you my personal opinion on religion... But I rather not: I like to keep coming here sometimes.

Heh. Based on that minimal info alone the jezuz freaks will be preparing your cross.
But don’t worry, you’ll hang in good company.

Yep, I am - though I do not believe my language skills would make it possible for me to understand fully the beauty of his lyrics...
I imagine that the only way to obtain these letters are to buy these books? Really, I have never used the Amazon...

Here’s two:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...104-8469315-0411902?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...3/104-8469315-0411902?_encoding=UTF8&v=glance

Check your library, maybe you can find some translated to Russian.
j

jay said:
Heh. Based on that minimal info alone the jezuz freaks will be preparing your cross.
But don’t worry, you’ll hang in good company.
Ha, really my opinions on the Faith and Religion differs very much: I think that faith is good, and sometimes is the only thing that holds a person in the upright position. I happen to see it here in Russia quite frequently. And religion is just the business of those whom I call "the providers of faith". Not too fair a business, but one of the most profitable.
jay said:

Thanks.
Really, I forgot when I've seen insides of a library... in the middle of 80es, looking for some technical books for my Institute studies, I imagine...

Sergo said:
And religion is just the business of those whom I call "the providers of faith". Not too fair a business, but one of the most profitable.

Along with prostitution.
Not a coincidence there, methinks.

Really, I forgot when I've seen insides of a library... in the middle of 80es, looking for some technical books for my Institute studies, I imagine...

Take a look, it might be worth the trip.
j

jay said:
Along with prostitution.
Not a coincidence there, methinks.

No, no - Religion is MUUUUCH MOOOORE profitable business, than prostitution. And much more dangerous. Wrong choice of a prostitute could lead to an illness, supposedly cureable without difficulty, and wrong choice of a religion could cost one's life and even much more lives of innocent people...

jay said:
Take a look, it might be worth the trip.
j

Really, I prefer to buy books... Or just download from the net. But you are right - I will check for Russian translations of these letters & verses...

Sergo said:
No, no - Religion is MUUUUCH MOOOORE profitable business, than prostitution. And much more dangerous. Wrong choice of a prostitute could lead to an illness, supposedly cureable without difficulty, and wrong choice of a religion could cost one's life and even much more lives of innocent people...

Prostitution is a victimless business, unless you count the prostitute, so there's really no valid comparison here...

:rolleyes:

StillILearn said:
Prostitution is a victimless business, unless you count the prostitute, so there's really no valid comparison here...

:rolleyes:

I agree with you to some extent.

Though, an average prostitute and "a provider of faith" both do not believe in what they supposedly sell, and do not especially like their customers.
And there are some exceptions in both cases: there are prostitutes who like their business "for the fun of it", and "providers" who believe themselves, and are not engaged in business, but give others out of their hearts.
Both exceptions are very rare.

So I think Jay has something in comparing these two businesses with one another.

The Aquasilva Trilogy - great books.
It's fantasy, but with strong paralels to certain parts of our own history. It's written by Anselm Audley who studies History at Oxford University, so he knows what History means to a culture and he knows how to play around with the concept of writing and rewriting History, which gives a very different aspect to these books than I normally find in the fantasy genre.

Just finished...

I just finished Miss Bradstreet, a biography of poet Ann Bradstreet. I really enjoyed it. It was historical as well as a biography, which are my favorites! :rolleyes:

Roald Dahl - Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Tonight I'll watch the movie, I'm interested how the children and Willy Wonka are portrayed.

Just finished JTLeroy's The Heart is deceitful Above All Things. Oh what a jolly read it was.... :eek:

Also finished Chuck Palahniuk's Survivor. Yes.

Just finished The Silent Cry bu Kenzaburo Oe, and this seemed to be a largely autobiographical follow up to a Personal Matter. These two books are quite strange, Oe's writing of the narrator gives us very little as he is totally shut off from himself, but descriptions of the moods and feelings of other characters are so sensitive, it really emphasises the narrators isolation. They also build up an incredible tension. After a difficult start with both books, I found myself wanting to push on and find out what happens, but dreading it as well, the emotional tensions were so palpable and so obviously indicated some kind of trauma.
They have both left me very interested in Oe, I will have a break from him for now but come back to him in the fulness of time.
I am still waiting for my latest book order to arrive, there must be one title they are having difficulty obtaining, trust it isnt Sirmyks book!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back