• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

I just finished reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blindess by Jose Saramago

Overrated, IMO. The writing style was confusing, the characters hard to relate to and sympathise with, and mainly just long-winded and boring. I had to force myself to finish.

The idea put forward by the book is a good one, I just don't think that Saramago managed to pull it off.

MonkeyCatcher

MonkeyCatcher said:
Blindess by Jose Saramago
Overrated, IMO.

Well, while Saramago is a winner of the Nobel (one of the few in recent years deservingly so, I might ad – and speaking of which, we’re coming to that time of the year again…) I can’t see how a book that rarely gets any praise nor was ever a best seller has a ranking that is overly high.

Yes, I agree, Saramago’s writing can be difficult (this is the style he writes with, not just for this novel); it’s an acquired taste. But _is_ easier to handle as the pages turn.

It seems that maybe this book was recommended to you as “horror”? It’s just out-and-out literature (Saramago being pretty much the only person currently writing that fits this bill, methinks), while the theme certain is more ‘horrifying’ (and possible) than, egads, yet _another_ gawdamn insipid vampire story, it shouldn’t be labeled as such.

_The Double_ *may* be a bit more up you’re alley…but again you’ll have to struggle with the style of his writing.

j

jay said:
I can’t see how a book that rarely gets any praise nor was ever a best seller has a ranking that is overly high.
I meant by the members in TBF. I had not heard of the book before I came on the fourm, but I heard /a lot/ of /very/ good things about the book once I joined. It just didn't live up to my expectations.

Yes, I agree, Saramago’s writing can be difficult (this is the style he writes with, not just for this novel); it’s an acquired taste. But _is_ easier to handle as the pages turn.
I agree, it was /easier/ but still not to my liking. It is rather strange, I didn't mind the lack of speech marks and such in Angelas Ashes nearly half as much as I did in Blindness , but then again, Blindess does use a much more mature language.

It seems that maybe this book was recommended to you as “horror”?
It was indeed, which the main reason I did not like this book as much as I had anticipated. Where was the unnecessary violence and the horrific blood-and-guts gore? ;)

It’s just out-and-out literature
Books which I am not quite so into. I guess that I will have to mature before I fully appreciate books like these, but at the moment I am still moving my way up to the high-calibre books which I'm sure that you read on a daily basis, jay.

Monkeycatcher

MonkeyCatcher said:
It was indeed, which the main reason I did not like this book as much as I had anticipated. Where was the unnecessary violence and the horrific blood-and-guts gore? ;)

Heh. Yes, it’s criminal to recommend this book to some stating it is “horror”.
Hell, for that it would need a badly rendered painting on the cover at least…

Books which I am not quite so into. I guess that I will have to mature before I fully appreciate books like these, but at the moment I am still moving my way up to the high-calibre books which I'm sure that you read on a daily basis, jay.

I’m not as highfalutin as some make me out to be (myself included), but yes, Saramago’s writing and themes are more of a finely fermented wine; not exactly pop fiction, which is easily more digestible, especially if that’s what you’re thinking you’re getting going in.
j

I've just finished reading "How I live now" by Meg Rosoff.

I hadn't realised before I started that it was book written for teens. I really enjoyed it though and felt nice to view life through young eyes again. :rolleyes: Overall I really enjoyed it. A nice easy summer read.

It reminded me of "The curious incident of the dog in the nighttime" by Mark Haddon.

Just finished Mansfield Park (unabridged) and was suffering through the entire book. I just could not get into it, I find it very boring and the characters uninteresting.

I've read Austen's other works and loved them. Guess I can't be expected to like them all. :rolleyes:

I just finished... Shaman's Crossing by Robin Hobb.

I found the potential of the trilogy to be interesting and I can't wait to read what Hobb has install for us next. I liked the new world she has created, the Academy and the Forest. I liked the restrictions she has created for the characters, both men and women and social status -- they make for interesting friction. The only thing that bothered me was that the MC was too aloof I think. I related with him because I can be like that, and so I had the patience to read on. But most times he was just too dutiful, no rebelling (not even in his arranged marriage and profession). It was frustrating at times, but I think with all that happening – and this is why I'm excited for the next two books – the MC will be forced to step out of his comfort zone and rebel or detour or not be in such denial about what's happening to him. geez lol :rolleyes:

raffaellabella said:
Just finished Mansfield Park (unabridged) and was suffering through the entire book. I just could not get into it, I find it very boring and the characters uninteresting.

I've read Austen's other works and loved them. Guess I can't be expected to like them all. :rolleyes:
It's funny, I finished this last week and I loved it. But possibly more from a social point of view than because I liked the characters - in fact, Fanny Price may be the most wet and pathetic heroine I've ever read. It's definitely not my favourite Austen, but I did like it.

Just finished Wally Lamb's I know this much is true (for the fifth time)
The catcher in the rye
Deception point (Dan Brown)

I know this much is true is an amazing read! :)

Just finished The President of Good and Evil by Princeton bioethicist Peter Singer. Singer aims to compare Bush's self-described ethical positions to public policy decisions that have taken place under his presidency. Singer sees a disconnect in more than a few areas. One of the president's positions is that "state's rights" are of utmost importance. Singer notes that Bush went back on this belief by having the justice department move against Oregon's euthanasia law, as well as California's medicinal marijuana voter approved initiative. Singer also takes on Bush's "culture of life" stand by pointing out that Bush presided over a state of governor that has executed the most people in the nation.

This is obviously an anti-Bush book, it wouldn't be that hard to write a book like this one about any and every president that has governed in the U.S. He also fails to give Bush credit for following his beliefs on other matters. The president has carried through on his faith-based, community programs receiving federal aid, as well as appointing "constructionist" judges to the various courts. The president has also followed his beliefs on the stem cell debate and abortion. This is a very good book to read, a thought provoking one, no matter what your political inclination may be.

SFG75 said:
He also fails to give Bush credit for following his beliefs on other matters. The president has carried through on his faith-based, community programs receiving federal aid, as well as appointing "constructionist" judges to the various courts. The president has also followed his beliefs on the stem cell debate and abortion.

So should Hitler [and/or enter any other tyrant, serial killer and/or religion fanatic here] be ‘credited’ for “following through” on his “beliefs“ too?
(and Twat Boy back-tracked a bit on Stem Cell stuff a bit, possibly due to the er, um, oral skills of Nancy Reagan)

Glad you liked the Singer though. Interesting mind. His stuff on Animal Rights is worth a read too. Not sure abut this ‘Eating Ethically’ stuff he’s working on though…
j

I just finished

I just finished reading DOCTOR ON THE MOVE by Ray Cope. I like to take the road less traveled myself and this small publisher gem was recommended to me. I can't find it on amazon, but the book has a website for ordering.

DOCTOR ON THE MOVE

I kind of expected it to be stuffy, but I was way off. I couldn't put it down. It is an inspiring book for travelers and dreamers alike.

Just finished "Lightning" by Dean Koontz. I enjoyed the story, especially the first half of the book. Then when he got into the time travel back-and-forth, I kind of lost interest because I couldn't follow (or, rather, didn't want to put the effort forth to follow) the timeline.

I give the book an 8 of 10.

Just finished "The Art of Raising a Puppy" by the Monks of New Skete.

Very good informative book, anybody who's even thinking about getting a puppy should read it. These guys know what they're talking about.

Finished Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison.

Interesting book. Written in a sometimes confusing style, but once you get to know it it flows rather nicely. Has an interesting ending - quite remarkable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back