• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

I just finished reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I re read A darkness at sethanon, its even better the second time round. now I am re reading magician (the best fantasy book in the world :D) again. There is a very small fly on my monitor screen.

I have just finished Cross Stitch (otherwise known as Outlander ) by Diana Gabaldon.

I really enjoyed this book. Although it was a rather long book (compared to the books that I've been reading lately), it did not strike me as one of those books where you're like, c'mon... lets finish already.

The pace and content of the book kept me hooked the whole time, there was never a dull moment during the span of this beautiful novel. Gabaldon was brilliant at making the characters come to life, and the characters themselves were easy to sympathise with.

All in all, a great read and a definate recommendation.

And hey, I'm a sucker for a great romance ;)

Has anyone else read the rest of the series? Are they worth reading also?

MonkeyCatcher said:
I have just finished Cross Stitch (otherwise known as Outlander ) by Diana Gabaldon.

I really enjoyed this book. Although it was a rather long book (compared to the books that I've been reading lately), it did not strike me as one of those books where you're like, c'mon... lets finish already.

The pace and content of the book kept me hooked the whole time, there was never a dull moment during the span of this beautiful novel. Gabaldon was brilliant at making the characters come to life, and the characters themselves were easy to sympathise with.

All in all, a great read and a definate recommendation.

And hey, I'm a sucker for a great romance ;)

I'm reading the second in the series, Dragonfly in Amber, now and liking it as much as the first so far :)

Ronny said:
I'm reading the second in the series, Dragonfly in Amber, now and liking it as much as the first so far :)
Great, thanks for the reply. I guess I'll have to add another book to my TBR pile then :)

Erica said:
Not read it yet! But Have heard "Handling Sin" is hilarious :D and at the same time quite touching :)
its on my to buy list...hoping to find a 2nd hand copy :) can't aford anymore new ones just yet...
Have a great Vacation
Thanks. I bought Handling Sin today. It is a huge book, over 600 pages. I did not expect it to be that big but am looking forward to starting it sometime while on vacation. A person recommended it to me and guranteed that I would enjoy it. :)

MonkeyCatcher said:

I read them a few years ago and liked them a lot. But somehow, in the middle of the fourth volume, I completely lost interest in it and stopped reading. I think the second used to be my favourite.

Rigana said:
But somehow, in the middle of the fourth volume, I completely lost interest in it and stopped reading.
Yeah, I've heard from a few people now that the first three are really the only ones worth reading, or at a stretch the fourth one also. Apparently the 5th one is absolutely horrible.

I have just finished The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd.

I really enjoyed this book - it was sweet without being too sickly and fake, had well-developed characters, was beautifully written, and also had a great story-line.

It's really an up-lifting book, filled with really great messages and morals. Highly recommended :)

I just finished Old School by Tobias Wolff and I liked it very much. I love all the detail he gives his characters and how he tells their stories, they are so familiar in a way, his characters and stories. I'm not sure if I liked Old School as well as I liked This Boy's Life but I'll definately read more by him.

Ronny said:
I just finished Old School by Tobias Wolff and I liked it very much. I love all the detail he gives his characters and how he tells their stories, they are so familiar in a way, his characters and stories. I'm not sure if I liked Old School as well as I liked This Boy's Life but I'll definately read more by him.

Absolutely totally agree. And he seems to do it with such ease - I mean come up with all those details.

Danielle Steel's Second Chance

i caught an eye on this book before i finished my previous book. Since I've finished it I will continue with the previous..=P

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. I thought that it was a brilliant book, certainly the best sci-fi book that I've read in awhile :)

Has anyone read the rest of the series, and if so, are the others worth reading??

MonkeyCatcher said:
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. I thought that it was a brilliant book, certainly the best sci-fi book that I've read in awhile :)

Has anyone read the rest of the series, and if so, are the others worth reading??

I read Ender's Game earlier this year and thought it was alright. I certainly wasn't driven to read any more of Card's work but I came across a cheap used copy of Ender's Shadow and picked it up. Haven't read it yet to see how Bean's point of view changes the story.

Goodbye, Mr. Chips by James Hilton. Loved it. Caught bits and pieces of the film a dozen times but could never seem to get interested. The book however was wonderful. Short and sweet. :rolleyes:

Ah, right. Each costs about $50 here, I believe. (about NZ $1 to every US 73 cents)

yeah, thats what they are here too usually. we got lucky though. My wifey-poo wanted them so that's what she got for her birthday. (of course, we ended up eloping on her birthday, so maybe I should have taken the presents back, what's a better present than me?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back