• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

I just finished reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eragon by Christopher Paolini. Not great, but enjoyable. Paolini is still very young and it shows in his writing. There was a lot in this book taken from Tolkien.

I'm looking forward to reading the second installment (of three) to see how the story and the author progresses.

Well, not being able to come here regularly does give me time to finish some books. And here are those that I did finish...

Umberto Eco - The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana. I learned a lot from this book - that there were so many foreign language comics in early 1950s Italy. I also learned a bit about antiquarian books - that a lot of them were not written in a language I understand.
JK Rowling - Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. Finished it double time. Better than the last one, but still nowhere in quality compared to the first 3 books. I'm sorry to say I didn't bat an eyelid at the ending, and somehow felt I should have.
Ray Bradbury - Fahrenheit 451. This is unfortunately one of the three Bradbury books I had wanted to read in August, but hey, one is better than none. :)
Douglas Preston, Lincoln Child - Brimstone. It was okay, but I'm willing to bet the earlier Pendergast books were, well, fun-ner.
Grant Morrisson (writer), Frank Quitely (artist) - WE3. Whoa. Thrill ride, this one.

Currently Reading/Listening
Salman Rushdie - Fury.
Guy Gavriel Kay - The Summer Tree, Book One of Fionavar Tapestry. Gasp! What do I think of this? Nobody knows, I reckon.

I will try and see if I can talk about each in their respective threads.

ds

Magician by Feist. Enjoyable, but not quite as much as the hype made me expect. Had I been given to believe the general hype about it I would've been gravely disappointed, but as I go to all things enthusiastically recommended with a healthy amount of skepticism I simply observed it wasn't as fantabulous as I had been led to believe but still very enjoyable.

Lucky You by Carl Hiaasen
My first Carl Hiaasen book but it won't be my last, very funny crime comedy set in South Florida.
Basically it's about a $28 million lottery winner 'JoLayne Lucks' who has to share the prize money with a couple of Muderous Redneck white Supremacists who try to set up a home grown militia. They don't want to share the winnings with Jolayne especially being a black women and they end up tracking her down a stealing her winning ticket.
Then starts her hilariuos chase to get back the ticket aided by a newspaper reporter all this mixed up with Money making religous shrines complete with the Weeping Fiberglass Madonna and a Road Stain with the face of Jesus on it.
A Hooters waitress held hostage who holds a striking resemblance to Kim Basinger.
The characters and their predicaments are completely over the top one of the most enjoyable books i've read for a while.

The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe By C.S Lewis- Just as enjoyable as when I first read this book as a child. Very quick read as it is only 90 pages.

Don't Eat This Book by Morgan Spurlock: Along the same lines as his movie Supersize Me. Another investigation into the fast food industry. It basically follows him during the time he was filming the movie. It was a light read, and quite funny.

Fall On Your Knees by Anne-Marie MacDonald. I really enjoyed this book. Although it was relatively long - around 565 pages, with small text - I really didn't notice its length at all and almost wished that there was more. The book did get a little weird at times - almost a Little Women gone wrong - but somehow the weirdness seemed appropriate. A definate recommendation :)

I just finished Swan Song, by Robert McCammon. I loved everything about this book. I liked the story with all its twists and turns, how you got to know each character so well, and it had a great ending too, that didn't disappoint. I never knew I'd have compassion for an evil character, that's what this book does to you.

MonkeyCatcher said:
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. I thought that it was a brilliant book, certainly the best sci-fi book that I've read in awhile :)

Has anyone read the rest of the series, and if so, are the others worth reading??

I enjoyed the books that follow Ender through his life. They are quite different from Ender's Game. The one's that featured bean and the other "earthside" happenings haven't been as good (IMO). But they were another interesting take on the story.

curiouswonder said:
I enjoyed the books that follow Ender through his life. They are quite different from Ender's Game. The one's that featured bean and the other "earthside" happenings haven't been as good (IMO). But they were another interesting take on the story.
Thanks for the input :)

And welcome to TBF, btw :D You should introduce yourself in the new members section so that everyone can welcome you.

Just finished Serpico by Peter Maas. This is the same author who wrote The Valachi Papers, which was about one of the earliest and effective mob informers. In this book, Maas details the true account of a police officer who witnesses police corruption rampant in the NYPD. Restauraunts gave officers free meals to them, in return for officers turning a blind eye to gambling in their establishments. Graft and payments were a quick way that officers supplemented a respectable, but meager income from gamblers and "number runners." Definitely a good read, this is one that you can't help but keep on reading. I would've been done a week ago, but I left the book at a relative's house and didn't get it back until this past weekend. :( ;)

MonkeyCatcher said:
Fall On Your Knees by Anne-Marie MacDonald. I really enjoyed this book. Although it was relatively long - around 565 pages, with small text - I really didn't notice its length at all and almost wished that there was more. The book did get a little weird at times - almost a Little Women gone wrong - but somehow the weirdness seemed appropriate. A definate recommendation :)

MonkeyCatcher, if you get a chance, pick up The Way the Crow Flies by MacDonald. I'm reading it right now and finding it a much easier read the Fall on Your Knees, and it's SO wonderful, I'm really really enjoying it.

Prairie_Girl said:
MonkeyCatcher, if you get a chance, pick up The Way the Crow Flies by MacDonald. I'm reading it right now and finding it a much easier read the Fall on Your Knees, and it's SO wonderful, I'm really really enjoying it.
Thanks for the recommendation - I added it to my rapidly increasing TBR list :) Fall on Your Knees /was/ a little bit of a hard read at the beginning, so The Way The Crow Flies sounds very appealing. It's a bit longer than FOYK, no?

MonkeyCatcher said:
Oh, really! You just persuaded me to read it - I /loved/ that book when I was younger :D

It's a fantastic book - one of the first i ever read. i still read it every few years now. You're the first person I've ever 'met' who has read it! My copy of it is very tattered and torn, and the cover is totally missing - the whole thing is held together by tape.

The Beach is also a bit Lord of the Flies, as well. It's grim in places, gory, but an easy and fairly quick read.

I just finished the Bridge to Holy Cross by Paullina Simons. It was a touching , emotinal novel and I was sad to finish it! I am not a fan of love stories, however , this one was so touching.

Scottishduffy said:
The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe By C.S Lewis- Just as enjoyable as when I first read this book as a child. Very quick read as it is only 90 pages.

Don't Eat This Book by Morgan Spurlock: Along the same lines as his movie Supersize Me. Another investigation into the fast food industry. It basically follows him during the time he was filming the movie. It was a light read, and quite funny.

I just watched part of Supersize me last night..I told my dh we need to watch the whole thing..The dd who rented it has sworn off pop and junk food for awhile! And she's talking about exercising! I may have to look up this book!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back