• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

I just finished reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shakespeare => Othello

wasnt thoroughly entertained but.......few lines stuck in my mind.....btw, i think Iago rocks!.....i really like him

SHABBA!!

Farewell my concubine by Lilian Lee. I liked it, it wasn't all that it could have been, but it was pretty intense and at times sweet. I didn't exactly like the ending, she could have done better.

The Lost German Slave Girl by John Bailey about the controversy as to whether this young woman is a German immigrant illegally enslaved or a light-skinned black woman. It is set in New Orleans in the 1800's, and I found the story intriguing and the purported historical info. enlightening.

Ghost Riders by Sharyn McCrumb. Although the author focuses on different characters in each chapter and then returns to the same folks in subsequent chapters, I didn't find it difficult to follow. The story is about the folks of Appalachia during the Civil War, and the author presents folks and incidents of that time as well as characters of modern times reflecting on the past. It was a different approach from what I typically read, and I found it interesting in that respect. Also enjoyed the story very much, and I don't know how much my Appalachian roots influenced that.

- Nancy

Just finished reading 'The Third Secret' for book club. Yuck! I found the subject matter (the Vatican, the Pope, Conclave) to be interesting, but I grew to dislike the book by the last few chapters. One word to describe my reaction: disappointment.

back from a two weeks holiday :cool: i've finished reading "The history of love" by N.Krauss, "tears of a giraff" by McCall Smith and "Bartleby" by Melville

Celeste said:
back from a two weeks holiday :cool: i've finished reading "The history of love" by N.Krauss, "tears of a giraff" by McCall Smith and "Bartleby" by Melville

Celeste, out of curiousity, what did you think of The History of Love? I read it a few months ago and enjoyed it. I thought the parts about the kids could have been shorter, but I loved the passages with the old man -- very heartbreaking.

Whatever Love Means by Simon Baddiel. Only once funny whilst managing the astonishing feat of being a perpetually irritating read. Obvious characterization with bad dialogue, flabby chapters and a bleak outcome made for an experience I will not be repeating.

I just finished reading The Time Traveler's Wife, by Audrey Niffenegger. It's quite compelling and certainly stirred a lot of emotions in me. I love "time traveling" scenarios in books and am always amazed at how the authors keep it all straight.

Has anyone else read it?

I just finished reading a really sad book which had me in tears at the end!

Its called Behind Closed Doors by Jenny Tomlin!

Whos the mum of actress Martine McCutcheon!

Finished Raymond Carver's "Cathedral" collection. Really, really enjoyed it. His voice as a storyteller is just luminous.

Dara said:
Finished Raymond Carver's "Cathedral" collection. Really, really enjoyed it. His voice as a storyteller is just luminous.
Have you read 'Short Cuts'? I would also recommend the movie, but ONLY after you've read the short stories. The movie is put together in a really interesting way.

I have just finished Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli.

I enjoyed this book, although it was extremely short. I don't really have much else to say - it was a rather simple book, with a sweet message. Aimed at children, I believe, which is probably why I didn't really get much out of it.

Jill by Philip Larkin. Absolutely wonderful. Hateful characters - I despised them, especially our dreadful protagonist: a snivelling little mouse.

It seemed an old-fashioned read but with very contemporary randomness (is that a word? It is here). Nice details.

Someone recently asked me about England during WWII . I will now point them in the direction of this book.

Kookamoor said:
Have you read 'Short Cuts'? I would also recommend the movie, but ONLY after you've read the short stories. The movie is put together in a really interesting way.

Can't say I have, but I will now. :D

I had to read The Ethics of the Global Environment and write a book review on it. Bleh! Very dry and tedious to get through. Definitely not something for a casual reader... unless maybe you're into that stuff. It's boring, don't read it! :p

Now except for final exam studying from textbooks, I have some time for pleasure reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back