• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

I just finished reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.
We frequently get black bear in our back yard. Especially last year, we were kinda inundated with them. Not a week passed without seeing them. One time I was working in my vegetable garden, which is about 20 feet from our bird feeder, and when finished walked up to the house which was about 40 feet away. when I got to the house my wife yelled from the back porch..."there is the bear". The darn thing had been hiding behind some trees waiting for me to leave so he/she could get to the bird feeder. Wish I could post pictures here as I have over a 100 photos of bears in our yard. :)

Ok, no more off-topic from me. :)

muggle said:
We frequently get black bear in our back yard. Especially last year, we were kinda inundated with them. Not a week passed without seeing them. One time I was working in my vegetable garden, which is about 20 feet from our bird feeder, and when finished walked up to the house which was about 40 feet away. when I got to the house my wife yelled from the back porch..."there is the bear". The darn thing had been hiding behind some trees waiting for me to leave so he/she could get to the bird feeder. Wish I could post pictures here as I have over a 100 photos of bears in our yard. :)

Ok, no more off-topic from me. :)

Off topic or not- WOW! We've seen foxes in our backyard in the middle of the afternoon. But bears, that's wild. You'd probably like Nevada Barr's Blood Lure since it deals with bears..see now we're a little more back on topic ;)

MonkeyCatcher said:
I have just finished Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood. This novel was one of the best novels that I have read this year. Make that ever. Definately a novel that lives up to its hype and deserves its place as one of the best sci-fi/fantasy novel of all time.

Told ya. :p

That book was so much fun.

abecedarian said:
Alright you two, I guess I'll have to add this to my never ending list too. I hope you're proud of yourselves ;)

I'm having a psychic vision....I see me saying 'I told you so' about how great a book is...it's an Atwood...it's Oryx and Crake! :eek:

I recently finished 'Citizen Girl' by the 2 authors who wrote 'The Nanny Diaries' (sorry I don't feel like looking up their names right now). I felt like something light before I jumped into The Third Secret.

I thought their first novel (Diaries) was much better. The plot in this one was borderline boring and I really couldn't give a hoot about the main character and her problems.

Before that I read a few of my favorite stories from Stephen King's 'Night Shift.' I forgot how enjoyable The Mangler was! Man I wonder where King gets his imagination...

peacefield said:
Before that I read a few of my favorite stories from Stephen King's 'Night Shift.' I forgot how enjoyable The Mangler was! Man I wonder where King gets his imagination...
I never cared much for that story. I always was rather fond of "Children of the Corn" myself. ^_^

Just finished Lewis Grizzard's book: Don't Bend Over in The Garden, Granny, You Know Them Taters Got Eyes. The central theme relates to sex, but in a humorous way. He is comparable to Dave Barry in his sense of humor. This book came out in the late '80s--a good read no matter how much time has passed.:cool:

The Third Secret

:D I read it fast. I couldn't put it down and loved it till the last word. If you're a progressive Catholic like me, you'll like it. If you're a conservative Catholic, you'll hate it!

Night Train by Martin Amis. This was the first book by Amis I've read and I found it unique and mesmerizing - mesmerizing in the sense I couldn't put it down. I'm now onto Time's Arrow which is just as unique, but in a different way. Not quite sure how I feel about Amis, yet. At least he's not boring.

I finished The Shining by Stephen King last night. Not as scary as I had been led to believe, but that's possibly because I read the last half of the book (the scary part) during the day yesterday. I really did enjoy it, though, and there was one bit that really creeped me out. I really liked the
gradual degradation of Jack's mental state. I especially liked reading his warped ideas and his twists on reality - one of the parts that I most enjoyed in the book was when he was talking and dancing with the people at the party near the end. Very twisted

So overall, a good read, but I don't think that I'll be watching the movie. I really can't picture Jack Nicholson (sp?) playing Jack.

And was it just me, or did this book also remind people of The Amityville Horror? (the movie at least - I can't say I've read the book)

MonkeyCatcher said:
So overall, a good read, but I don't think that I'll be watching the movie. I really can't picture Jack Nicholson (sp?) playing Jack.

I've never read the book but The Shining is one of my favourite movies. Considering I hate most movies this is no small feat. Kubrick, Jack et al made a brilliant movie irregardless of how true it keeps to the novel. Well worth watching.

This is my first post here sooo I'll just say what I've read in the last month.

Haruki Murakami's "Dance Dance Dance"
Haruki Murakami's "The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle"
Haruki Murakami's "Kafka on the Shore"
Lorrie Moore's "Like Life"
Seamus Heaney's translation of "Beowulf"
Nick Hornby's "High Fidelity"
Nick Hornby's "A Long Way Down"
Eliot Perlman's "7 Types of Ambiguity"

I've never been much of a reader but in the last couple months something happened and I can't eat up books fast enough.

I just finished The Day of the Triffids - John Wyndham. I loved the opening, and overall thought it was a good book - the descriptions were good, the writing was snappy and engaging - however, by the end, I felt somewhat unfullfilled by it. The opening was super, very visual, and getting you involved with the main character immediately. However, as the book continued, there were long diversions from the plot development that wound up going nowhere - such as the time Bill Mason (the main charactor and narrator) gets waylaid by a group and he gets separated from his female interest. This, as I said, did not contribute much to the story, as this group kind of just fizzles and now, Bill embarks on a nearly hopeless search for the woman from whom he became separated. This would not be so bad a plot development, but I was never convinced that Bill had that much feeling for her - nothing approaching passion - nothing approaching the kind of devotion that such a hopless search under dire and perilous circumstances would warrant.
Additionally, there were so many details that were unaccounted for - how in heck did all those blind people take care of their sanitation? It might be nitpicking, it might seem low class of me to think of it, but I always look for this in a book. If people in books and movies never go to the bathroom, it detracts from the realism. Let's face it - all men and women on this planet - as well as every other organism, is no more than 2 - 3 hours at most from their next whizz. How did they ever wash? Or get their hair cut? Or get shoes or clothing? They were only trying to get food most of the time - very little else. I love these details - it draws me into a story - makes me almost feel a part of things. Without them, I become detached from a story. As far as sanitation, I guess at the time the book was written (1951) it would have been scandelous to account for it but hell, the Earth was ending. It's ok to kill off millions, but not ok to account for their hygene? Nah, the real end of the Earth would be very very very very much worse than Wyndham had it. P. C. Jersild had it right in After the Flood. The real END would be nearly unbearable, not a mere inconvenience. Then, the triffids themselves were less terrifying than they should have been. They just didn't arrouse the kind of horror that they might have. So - a good book - deserving of its reputation, yet, it falls a bit short.
Just my humble opinion.

ions said:
I've never read the book but The Shining is one of my favourite movies. Considering I hate most movies this is no small feat. Kubrick, Jack et al made a brilliant movie irregardless of how true it keeps to the novel. Well worth watching.
Well, seeing as how you are usually right on the money, then I guess that I had better take a look at this movie. I had just heard elsewhere that the movie was terrible, but now I want to form an opinion of my own.

Just finished reading The Book Of Evidence by John Banville.
Now on to the next.. also by the same author, Eclipse.

I just finished The Long Rifle last night. What a great read for historical fiction buffs. Now I feel like renting Jeremiah Johnson! Thanks to muggle for reccomending this book.

Just finished INSIDE THE VICTORIAN HOME by Judith Flanders. Loved it and thought it was very interesting.

I believe the UK version is called LIFE AND DEATH IN VICTORIAN ENGLAND.

I finished The Travelling Vampire Show by Richard Laymon this afternoon. It was a fun, quick, and occasionally scary read, but it read more like a coming-of-age book than a horror novel. I felt that the ending was a little rushed, and some queries that had been raised throughout the book wern't closed by the end of the novel, but still a fun read. I think that i will try another Laymon in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back