• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

I just finished reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Beyond Good and Evil" by Friedrich Nietzsche was my last read. I actually burst out laughing at one point because I'd found a passage that I even remotely agreed with...

I've just started "Last and First Men" by Olaf Stapledon, and it's completely different to anything I've read before, but excellent so far by all accounts.

watercrystal said:
I just finished <Of mice and men> from recommedation on the bookforum. It seemed that I fell into a dilemma. I kept asking myself, if I were George, would I shoot Lennie? Is there any possibility that George and Lennie can escape? Would George feel guilty aftering doing that, I mean, would he live in remorse? etc,etc,etc, :confused:

Would any of you like to share some of your thinking about this book with me? something like why you like this book? what impressed you? or what makes you think it is a great book? I am very curious about those.

THanks! :)
I had the same thoughts as you ,wanting George to go free. Try 'The Grapes Of Wrath,' it's probably one of my favourites, beautifully written and very heart rending by the end.l

I just finished reading ...

... Cosmicomics by Italo Calvino - I liked it, nothing more, nothing less. That said, an author who can link the making of noodles to the Big Bang is a good author in my book.

Cheers

Finished with Miller's "Tropic of Capricorn" -- much more depressing than "Tropic of Cancer" -- but then it is about his life in America. If you like Miller's writing and like his ideas, then read this one. His language is as potent as ever and you get all the lovely little bits (remembrances of sour rye bread from childhood or composing a song to a louse) mixed in with the usual Miller mayhem. If you are unfamiliar with Miller, I wouldn't start with this one, I would start with "Cancer" or one of his collections of short stories and/or essays.

Interestingly enough, my next one is "Cosmicomics."

Irene Wilde

Just finished Cosmicomics...and The Picture of Dorain Gray....although I'd aleady read the latter, it was a few years ago, and I appreicated much more this go around.

I was thouroughly impressed by Calvino's writing and need to read If On a Winter's Night a Traveler....

Was by Ryman is supposed to be here anyday now......should have known better than to trust the company I work for :mad:

Just finished up the last story in cosmicomics. After contemplating back upon the book as a whole, I can't think of many authors better at pure writing and story telling. Calvino certainly has a rare gift. Cheers to Italo, for being the best author in the world at taking absolutely random storylines and turning them into something fluid and graceful!

I'll agree with you on that - he's a talented man, and I'll definitely give If On A Winter's Night a chance, but I wasn't completely blown away by Cosmicomics.

Cheers

I just finished Necroscope V: Deadspawn by Brian Lumley.

It's the last of a set of a 13 novel series on vampires (make sense?)

I'm not big on series' at all, I tend to lose patience with them. This series is nothing short of amazing. Completely original take on the origin of vampires, with all sorts of the paranormal thrown in. Great stuff here kiddies.

Just finished Out of Africa, which is anecdotal so I've been picking thru it for ages. Beautiful language, and her love of the place really shines thru. I want to watch the movie again now, haven't seen it in ages.

"Heart of Darkness" by Joseph Conrad. Unusual, with an interesting authorial style and an unusual and highly original method of introducing the enigmatic Mr. Kurtz that works perfectly considering the themes of the book. I found it quite haunting, and it certainly offered food for thought. Worth reading.

Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs. If you think your childhood was unusual, check this out. Proof, again, that truth is stranger than fiction.

I read if very carefully so as not to damage the cover, so it'll make a great birthday gift for my brother.

Wasp Factory by Iain Banks.

It was a pretty good read. Maybe a little gruesome, though that doesn't normally bother me. I felt like I could actually see what was going on. I thought I saw the ending coming, but I was wrong.

Just finished Agatha Christie's They Came to Baghdad. A rather charming spy story, I thought. Definitely a departure from her Poirot / Marple / Tommy & Tuppence mysteries. The heroine is a Cockney less-than-able typist with a penchant for telling large lies.

I just finished Fishcamp: Life on an Alaskan Shore by Nancy Lord
Kind of dry, but now and then I like to read about someone else's real life.

Star of the Sea by Joseph O'Connor

It was ok. Pretty interesting in some chapters, nearly boring in others.

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens.

I thought this book was great. It was my first Dickens book. I had a hard time getting through the book. I think it was because I wasn't used to the style of writting. But in the end, I really enjoyed this book. I think the characters in the book are some of the best characters I've ever read about.

The Girl With the Pearl Earring. It was both more and less than I expected. The character was incredible, fascinating. But the story itself was slight. I'm interested in seeing the movie now, as there are lots of pauses to be filled in, and it will be interesting to see what someone else's vision is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back