• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

I just finished reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished The Taking by Dean Koontz. Quite simply, this is one of the worst books I have ever read. I hate it with a vengeance. In fact, I hate it so much I'm going to write a review and hopefully help others to avoid it. Appalling. :mad:

Fingersmith by Sarah Waters. An engrossing read, but completely plot driven. Her language wasn't great, her characters weren't fully developed, and the plot twists (which were good but not FABULOUS) were the only thing that held the book up....great fun to read but lacked sustenance.

Small Island by Andrea Levy

It was great. I highly recomend to history buffs, people interested in the relationship between Jamaica and England, people who dig WWII era stories and anyone just looking for a great book to read.

I just finished reading Ridley Pearson's Beyond Recognition. It was an alright book. It took me a good 150 pages to really get into it and start to read it at a quicker pace, and the ending was somewhat of a disappointment. There was no real "justification" for the crimes that were the focus point throughout the book; more of an assumption from the other characters. Other than that, it was a pretty decent read.

Just this second got done with Murakami's "Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World". One of those books that gives you an "Ohhhhh, so *that's* what's going on" moment about two thirds of the way in. Good stuff, as usual.

Not sure what I'll be moving onto next.

Yesterday I finally finished The Illuminatus Trilogy - I'd read it before, and it was just as brilliant as I remembered.

Excellent read.

Cheers

Just finished Rhapsody by Elizabeth Haydon, on recommendation from a friend. I loved it! Can't wait to read book 2. Loved the characters, loved the writing, loved the story, loved the musical based magic. Loved it!

The Archer's Tale by Bernard Cornwell.

I found it alright, had me gripped most of the time, but felt kind of short. I guess that's why it is a trilogy. Good read though, but I think I'll get A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin and read that, my mind still in the world of Westeros and not Europe :)

Just finished reading "1984". I enjoyed it a lot. And I'm glad I finally read it so know what everyones talking about when they reference it.

I just finished The High Lord, the last in the Black Magician trilogy by Trudi Canavan. It was a bit sad at the end *sniff*. All three were brilliant books. :)

just finished Tess of the D'Ubervilles. it really affected me, i couldn't stop thinking about it for days.

i had Wide Sargasso Sea on my list to read next, but i think i'm going to go for something less depressing. i need something with a happy ending, after everything i've read lately.

Finished reading 'Through the looking glass.' Although I enjoyed reading this, I liked 'Alice's adventures in wonderland' more. I love the author's imagination!

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert M. Pirsig, a lot to think about in this book, and I doubt I understood everything in it. Probably going to read it again sometime.

hay82 said:
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert M. Pirsig, a lot to think about in this book, and I doubt I understood everything in it. Probably going to read it again sometime.
I am going to read that in the next few weeks. Heavy reading, huh? I better be prepared then :rolleyes:

sanyuja said:
I am going to read that in the next few weeks. Heavy reading, huh? I better be prepared then :rolleyes:
Well it's not really heavy reading, there is just a lot to make you think. You can probably chose how much you want to read into the book.

hay82 said:
Well it's not really heavy reading, there is just a lot to make you think. You can probably chose how much you want to read into the book.
Oh thats good. I will give it a try then. Thanks hay :)

I just finished reading The Pearl by John Steinbeck. We read it in English class and I really enjoyed it. The only thing I didn't like was that the teacher wanted to call on a random person and have them read for a little and then move on to the next person. At that rate, it took about 30 minutes for 10-15 pages. So I went ahead and finished it on my own.

Just finished Margaret Atwood's "Surfacing".

I love the way she writes, but, the style can get a bit repetetive; in this book, at least. Maybe it's not her best example.

Interesting story though, and she puts forward some great ideas. Enjoyed it overall.

Borges

I just finished reading Jorge Luis Borges's Fictions and The Book of Sand. The latter's not as good as the former, since the tales aren't intertwined, but they're both outstanding. I read some tales more than once and they changed meanings every time. They've got several different levels, the kind that can take a lifetime to explore. I highly recommend them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back