• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

I just finished reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finished..

Today, I have finished another book by EJD. The Other Woman. It was a great novel. Very suspenseful... I give it two thumbs up. Like always, Dickey's books are always an enjoyment. When reading it just expect the unexpected!

-One

Runaway by Alice Munro
This is her latest collection of stories and winner of the 2004 Giller Prize (Best Canadian novel or short story). She is my favourite short story author and this book didn't disappoint. I find her writing is so fluid and assured that its like being completely relaxed in the backseat of a car because you trust the driver implicitly and you know the destination will be worthwhile.

Grave Secrets by Kathy Reichs
Entertaining and fast-paced. Lots of hard-science to satisfy the nerd in me.

Catch 22 by Joseph Heller.
I was really surprised with this book, its probably the funniest book I have ever read. I just love the sarcasm and the strange things that happen in this book. I took me a while to figure out that the story jumps back and forth in time, and it was a bit hard to keep track of when what happend.
Some of the scenes in the book I imagined being performed by Monty Python.

I recently finished

Downsize This by Michael Moore:
There were some highly interesting facts in it and also some very funny and sarcastic passages, which i really liked.
Although i didn't know all facts before i read the book, i still knew some of them already.
Some chapters in the book weren't that spectacular. Sometimes they seemed like usual rambling of a lazy person, although i don't think he is a lazy person, he sometimes sounds like one.
Actually i don't really want to say too much, because i still think that everyone should read the book, even with it's failures it's still an informative good and enjoyable read.

Gangsta book!

I have just completed a book by K'wan Foye.

Street Dreams

bookstreetdreams.gif

An excellent novel... When I read this wonderful piece of work, I can just picture myself in Rio's shoes when the setting falls into place across the streets of Harlem. Man, when one man's life could easily relate to another's man's life. This is the perfect example. It's just another book in which anybody should read to prove that someone would do just about anything for LOVE.

"A Very Long Engagement" by Sebastien Japrisot.
I didn't like it.
I didn't want to read it, I just did it because I don't like leaving books half read. I was waiting for it to get better, but it only got worse. :mad:

I just finished reading "About Grace" by Anthony Doerr. It's about a man who has dreams about events before they occur, then one night dreams he's responsible for the death of his baby daughter, Grace. So he sacrifices everything in order to change the future and save her life.

The author is a magnificent writer, really first rate. However, he lapses into detail that drones on and on. At the same time, you aren't really sure what's making the man tick at times as if the author placed more value on description than on exploring or revealing internal motivation. I presume he wants you to experience the same tedium the protagonist is experiencing, but really tedium is not the reason you read a book. Toward the second half of the book, I started to just read the first sentence of every paragraph, and still kept up with the story.

I would still recommend it with reservations. Prepare yourself to hunker down and know how the sun hit every leaf this man ever looked at. It would make a wonderful movie, short story or novella. But it was too long (and the book wasn't really all that long) for a novel in my opinion.

That sounds like a really interesting idea for a story. However, I don't think that I would read it because I really don't like it when authors drone on and on with their descriptions. I think it's an anathema of what a book should be :)

I just finished "Thief of always" by Barker.
In this book even adults can find something for himself.
As for me, I entered one's second childhood. In such childhood, which I canot get now in age of savage industrial capitalicm ;)
It's perfect book to run from evereday. :)

Rustam, i read that a couple years ago. i enjoyed it a lot- Barker is fantastic.

i just finished One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Alexander Solzhenitsyn. it was pretty absorbing and somewhat of an eye opener. i think it was something of a tribute to the human spirit and ability to survive.

edit: holy smokes! i just noticed you're from Russia- i didn't realize that when i made my post. a bit of a coincidence there

Jenem said:
edit: holy smokes! i just noticed you're from Russia- i didn't realize that when i made my post. a bit of a coincidence there

I think the most of foummans, don't notice this, you are not alone;)
P.S. I don't like Solzhenitsyn either Tolstoj. I don't understand why, but I don't. However my school composition i wrote about "War & Peice" was one of the best on Moscow olimpiad. Take into account i read a half of first volume :) For the rest my interest's gone :(

I finally finished The Talisman, by King and Straub. The way Jack gets started on his journey is terribly flimsy to say the least, and the ending felt too rushed.

The whole quest itself was alright however.

As Le Guin would say, and I'm paraphrasing here, it's the journey that matters.

IMHO, not one of King's better works.

Halo, would love to discuss this with you...

ds

Do you mean The Talisman? I would love to discuss it too, but unfortunately that means I would have to read it again first, as I can't remember any of the details, only that I liked it! :eek: I don't know what it is with me lately; I used to remember all the details from every book I ever read, but now once I've read them, the details are gone very quickly. It must be my advanced age! :)

Halo said:
Do you mean The Talisman? I would love to discuss it too, but unfortunately that means I would have to read it again first, as I can't remember any of the details, only that I liked it! :eek: I don't know what it is with me lately; I used to remember all the details from every book I ever read, but now once I've read them, the details are gone very quickly. It must be my advanced age! :)

Ditto! :rolleyes: I've read this twice, yet I can't remember many details. :eek: I remember being disappointed in the ending though. :confused:

Ah, lovely. I've started a thread on this, so Marla and Halo (and anyone), kindly take a jaunt to here for the discussion (of whatever you remember. :) ).

Cheers.

ds

I just finished reading the first book of the Saga of the Seven Suns by Kevin J. Anderson, Hidden Empire.

Now, I'm not what you'd call a real sci-fi enthusiast. Sure, I'll read an odd Star Wars book every now and again.. but you'd find me in the historical fiction and fantasy sections before sci-fi.

This book was suggested to me by my library district's director (aka the head honcho).

It's basically a space opera of sorts about the humans and the different species they meet in the 24th century and what happens to them and all that fun stuff.

The thing that hooked me, was the introduction of a human planet that has what they call a "worldforest" in it. This worldforest is a semisentient being. Some residents of this planet Theroc, in time, "read" to the trees of different things. And these trees absorb the knowledge. A living, growing library. XD Wow.

It was great.. highly suggested.

The Light Phantastic

I just finished this book written by Terry Pratchett. It's part of his Discworld series. It's the second book i have read from this series and i like it more than the first one, i think it was The Colour of Magic.
I really liked The Light Phantastic, there were some really hilarious and funny things in it, i also liked the end.
It could have been shorter though, i think he sometimes tried too hard to stretch the book and make it longer!
All in all a good and funny read.

Daniel's Veil

Hi everyone,

I just finished Daniel's Veil by R.H. Stavis.

This book follows the incredibly different lives of two men, one cop and one professor, as they discover together a portal to "the other side". It discusses what they do with this knowledge, and how it changes their lives forever.

There's many side-plots, and so many twists!!! You never expect the ending and I'm so glad I read the book before someone spoiled it!

All I can say is that this book is brilliant, hands down. I closed it, and I still can't stop thinking about it.

I bought the book on amazon because it had great reviews - even though I never heard of this author before. But it was incredible! I loved it. :p

Hi everybody, i've not been able to get on here for a few weeks so bear with me as i've finished 5 books in the meantime.

First of all was Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad. A real gem of book really living up to its 'classic' status. At only 124 pages long you wonder if the exquisite narrative can be maintained throughout whilst trying to develop a truly immersive storyline, but theses worries are short-lived as you soon find yourself on page 124 genuinely fulfilled from the experience. I wouldn't hesitate in recommending Heart of Darkness to anyone stuck for something to read. aimages_eu.amazon.com_images_G_02_detail_stars_5_0.gif

Next in line was A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin. The only previous fantasy experience i've had has been 'The Lord of the Rings' trilogy, but after reading some of the recommendations for the 'A Song of Ice & Fire' series on here I decided to give it a shot. A shot that I am very grateful to have taken as I really got into this first of the series from the very start. It really is an epic in all senses of the word, from the variety and depth of all of the characters to the engrossing multi-layered storylines. As soon as I finished the book I wasted no time in ordering the next two in the series (A Clash of Kings & A Storm of Swords). aimages_eu.amazon.com_images_G_02_detail_stars_4_5.gif

Next up was Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz. It was borrowed to me off of a friend and so I felt obliged to read it next rather than slotting it at the end of my (constantly growing) TBR list, I thought it was a good little book and so it just about justified its 'queue jumping'. A steady page turner that saw itself finished within a couple of days, it has now seen its author added to the 'would him another go in the future some time' list. aimages_eu.amazon.com_images_G_02_uk_shared_misc_stars_blue_3_0.gif

Fourth up was If This Is A Man by Primo Levi. A lot of Auschwitz related stories had been pushed to the forefront of the media to tie in with the anniversary of its liberation, and after taking a lot of that in I felt it would be the right time to read Primo Levi's account of his imprisonment. It really is an incredible book and it's staggering how calmly and clearly he can recall all of the inner workings of the camp and the volatile aspects of camp-life on a whole. I would really challenge anybody not to be moved by this book and its underlying message. aimages_eu.amazon.com_images_G_02_uk_shared_misc_stars_blue_5_0.gif

Next read was The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown. I read 'Angels & Demons' a couple of months ago and thought it was ok but nothing too groundbreaking, and after hearing all the hype surrounding its succesor I was quite optimistic that it could make the step up. Unfortunately I was generally disappointed with it, maybe it was never gonna live up to the hype or look anything but ordinary compared what I had just read but I wasn't impressed. There were some interesting theories in the book and the art descriptions were good but I really struggled to get caught up in the storyline at any stage. aimages_eu.amazon.com_images_G_02_uk_shared_misc_stars_blue_2_0.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back