• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

I just finished reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.
jay said:
My vote goes to “most people don’t know HOW to talk in-depth or analyze”.

So? You don't have to have a certain IQ or be able to undertake in-depth analysis of a book in order to be allowed to join this forum. It's simply a place where people who like to read can get together. If people want to write a detailed post or review, fine. If they just want to say "I liked/hated this book", then that's fine too.

Martin said:
I just finished Galapagos by Vonnegut. Novella, for a review, click the link.

Still as amazing as it was when I first read it yearsa ago. Vonnegut truly is a master.

Cheers

Thanks, Martin! Read it. My general impression is that the Reviews section is moribund, as people here so rarely point there.

Well, it is easily accessable and searchable, and it's also very easy to post a review there.

The downside of posting a review right here, or in a thread of its own, is that it will eventually get lost. New posts will push it off of the first page, and when it's off the firt page, it might as well be gone alltogether.

So, for me, the Library Section is still the way to post reviews.

Cheers

Now your talking, yep found your quotes on Salinger. I couldn't get any empathy with Holden, found him jumped up, wooden, generally not believable. What I found the orst thing about Catcher in the Rye though is I was constantly waiting for something, whether it be a climax, something profound, plot any one of those things. At the end I felt angry because nothing had transpired and I felt my time had been wasted. Tootling along in prose is all well and good if that tootling is to set an atmosphere and maybe that was the atmosphere of Catcher in the Rye, it's not an atmosphere I am familiar with. I can't remember who but there is an author who says the best way for the action to flow is by missing out the pages readers skip, I felt like skipping more of Catcher in the Rye than reading it. Maybe it is something specific to time, place and status, gender, as a working class British woman I don't get Holden. I couldn't have behaved like that as a teenager who was still at school and I don't know people who could, then again I read Catcher as an adult, maybe I would have liked it as a kid, although I don't think so. I liked Graham Green, I detested DH Lawrence and to me Salinger is a similar style, which sounds crazy but there is something I cannot pinpoint which Lawrence and Salinger share. I remember writing as a teenager that Lawrence writes like a child, so that might be it, of course salinger is supposed to be writing like a child, but I think in relation to Lawrence I was referring to the copious but simplistic description, too much description not enough emotion, humanness. Describ the innermost person not the dimensions and details of a room like an interior designer.

Martin said:
I think you posted in the wrong thread, mate.
:p
------------
I just finished reading James O'Barr's The Crow... I read it a looooooong time ago and looking back, I'm wondering if I even understood it. I was so young then. Now, I feel as though I'm not well read. There are so many quotes in the graphic novel that I kind of recognize, but I can't place them.

Just finished Tell No One by Harlan Coben.

Very impressed. Read it in about 4 sittings. Might have to check out some of his other work :)

i just finished Last Light of the Sun by Guy Gavriel Kay. it was fan-fricking-tastic! and i read on amazon that this book is not even Kay's best. needless to say, i'm going to buy everything by him that i can get my hands on.

could i sound anymore enthusiastic
. :eek:

Wabbit, what did you think of that Black Jewels trilogy by Anne Bishop which I think you were reading? I'm wondering what they are like.

Black Jewels!

Personally, I really hated it. It was like it was written by a 12 year old. I just could not go on. I had to stop. :eek:

Problems with it.

Plot: Nonsensical drivel.

Writing: Terrible. She uses the same words and phrases constantly over and over. She used the sentence "ice tingled down his spine" THREE times in the same amount of pages.

Everything is WAY too dramatic. Example: The lord of HELL is 50,000 years old :rolleyes: undead ruler of hell. He gets told something and he almost stumbles and falls to the floor. Look, if I was 50,000 years old, a vampire, and ruler of the entire underworld not much would bother me. And I certainly wouldn't "almost stumble with fear" and fall on the floor! And every character is the same. Everybody is "shocked" or "numbed" or "almost falls" at every news they receive. It's just stupid.

World: makes no sense: Women rule. OK, interesting concept. But why is it so? It's never explained. The world would never exist unless there was a reason for it to exist. No explanation is ever given. Men are just as powerful as the women. So how would such a society exist?

Also, the world is never defined. Where is it? What does it look like? We are never told. It reads like it's medieval fantasy and yet on one page she describes a room as "a flat" then on the page next to it as "an apartment" this makes no sense.

Characters: Silly and samey.

This is actually one of the worst novels I have ever read in my life. I would stay well clear of it. It's just terrible!

I just finished Cavedweller by Dorothy Allison, it was a long drawn out broken family drama that had tired characters and a weak dragging plot. I'm not sure why I kept reading it, I didn't like it from the start. But I tend to not be able to close a book and return it with out finishing it. So I struggled through and even skipped pages here and there hoping it would pick up but it never did. Ah, well :( ....

Just got done with Paul Auster's "The Book of Illusions".

Very, very good. He's a great storyteller. The "story within a story" aspect worked really well for me.

My first venture into Auster (I picked this up in the local charity shop for 50p, or some such stupidly cheap price) - so I can't compare it to his other work, but I'll definitely be picking up some of his other titles at some point in the not too distant future.

finished eading "Farewell, My Lovely" by Raymond Chandler and
"One Shot" by Lee Child

Chandler was a first for me picked up from the Thriller Thread and really
glad I tried it. Has all the twists and turns, solid, tangible characters and atmosphere; you can almost hear the flare of a match against a thumb nail. Written in 1940 it is ageless.

Lee Child is an old favourite of mine and have read all his books. 'One Shot' is the latest Jack Reacher book and at first I thought it was a little slow and
that the character seemed to have changed somewhat but as I read the
pace quickened into a pulse racing ending. Must be Reacher at his most deadliest. He's older, in his forties, but don't let that fool you.
Another great read Lee.

The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy-Adams

I started this book back in January. I became quite frustrated with it and put it away after reading less than 40 pages. I picked it up again sometime this week... and found it witty and interesting. It was very funny. Hmm... yeah... okay then.

Girlfriend In A Coma

I have just finished reading this by Douglas Coupland. It's about the 5th time I've read it in 4 years and although I wouldn't say its his best book its very a very comfortable enjoyable read. Its a reminder of how we live our lives and what we think and how we end up in the places we do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back