• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

I just finished reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished Anna Karenina and started The Master, by Colm Toibin.

A very smooth segue, from Tolstoy to James -- not a jarring note to be found anywhere. I believe that James wll have been born in approximately the same historical period during which Tolstoy was writing Anna, and one of the first characters James introduces is a woman who is reluctantly leaving her life and friends in Paris to return to her homeland, Russia.

:)

I just finished reading Midnight Bayou by Nora Roberts. It was my first Nora Roberts book!! It's about this guy who buys an old house in the New Orleans bayou. Except it's haunted!! I won't give much else away lol. I liked it, but it was nothing spectacular or anything. I'll probably try some of her other books too.

The Alchemist by Paolo Coelho. Another quick read, but full of stuff I'd like to talk about. Now where's that thread....?

ds

A few days ago i finished The Trial by Franz Kafka. It was an amazing book, really a great experience. Sometimes it was very ironic and, although it deals with serious subject, it's hard to always take it serious, just like Josef K. sometimes have troubles taking this entire Trial serious!
But beside all this ironie, it's definitely not a comedic book. In the end, the book is part a huge riddle, you can't solve, and an extremely powerful slap in the face.
It's very fast paced, but also with some very long speeches and dialogues, which is the only thing that sometimes slowed it down a little bit.
All in all a great original book!

cFaniak said:
The Fifth Mountain by Paolo Coelho. Amazing, but worse than the Alchemist.
Mind to reveal a little more about this book? Whats Fifth Mountain's theme?

I read his Alchemist and liked it. But, didnt like his other books 'Veronika decides to die', 'Eleven Minutes', '..River Piedra..' that much. Out of these three books, I liked '..Piedra..'.

Have you read his other books? How do you find them?

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. This book was absolutely the best book I have read this year. It was a long book, but it felt like the pages just flew by. The story was so intricate, and interesting. I'd suggest it to anyone.

I just finished Dr. Zhivago. I liked it but I thought it was sad. Has anybody else read it, and what do you think of it?

I finished reading Memoirs of a geisha.I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.
The climax was somewhat bollywood-ish, the book was a good read nevertheless.
I found interesting the details of a geisha's life provided in the book.

Good book. Customer satisfaction -- 100% :D

I just finish Foucault's Pendulum by Eco. I liked it, though I feel almost intellectually fatigued...I'm gonna start on The Name of The Rose in a couple of days.

just finished Colony Girl by Thomas Rayfiel. i was surprised at how well an older man could write about the feelings of a teenage girl. it's a coming of age story (actually, more of a stuck-between-childhood-and-adulthood story) about a girl who lives in a religious colony. not your typical coming of age story- this one gets a bit kooky. i laughed out loud in parts.

I just finishe reading "My Land and My People" by the Dalai Lama.....I know it is an old book but I still enjoyed it. A few years ago I was in the presence of the Dalai Lama at the University of Virginia.

Just finished my second Raymond Chandler book; *The Big Sleep*.
I think this was even better than *Farewell, My Lovely*

* I was neat, clean, shaved and sober and I didn't care who knew it.
I was everything the well-dressed private dectective ought to be...*
Phillip Marlowe at his best... Now, I'm looking forward to *The Long
Goodbye* :)

The other side of the story by Marian Keyes...though I just wanted a light, fluff type of read, it was way too long.

I just read Storm Catchers by Tim Bowler. I was.. I don't know really.
I only read it because it was an excuse not to have to get out of bed.

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. I really enjoyed this book. I don't re-read books often but I definitely plan to re-read this one.

Artemis Fowl: The Artic Incident...I really can't believe the author intended these books for children, to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back