• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

I, Robot

I have only recently read the book, and when I heard there was going to be a movie my first thought was how can they make a movie out of a load of short stories?

After seeing the trailer I am very disappointed at what they have done. Taken the laws and shoved them into a action film instead of doing what Asimov did and exploring all the eventualities that the laws can have.

This is one film I am not looking forward to.

Hey, but it's got Will Smith in it!
yikes.gif

Cheers, Martin :D

Okay, Martin, imagine the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy movie. Now take out Arthur, Ford, Zaphod, Trillian and Marvin, and then set it on Earth.

What you are feeling now is what I feel about this movie.

I hope this helps.
:D

I already very much understood where you were coming from, Igkuk, I was being sarcastic about the Will Smith-bit (though it is true).

I haven't read I, Robot, but I can't imagine it being any good after the things I've seen and read about it.

My condolences, Igkuk.

Will Smith?? Why??

I can remember looking forward to Independence Day when I first saw trailers for it in the theatre. Looked like it was going to be pretty intense. Then after a few months they showed a trailer with Will Smith in it and all I could think was, 'Why would they want to ruin a perfectly good movie by putting Will Smith in it??" It would have been so much better without the lame jokes in it.

I kinda liked Independence day, in spite of mr. Smith, who I really do not like.

Martin said:
I kinda liked Independence day, in spite of mr. Smith, who I really do not like.

Well, I liked it too. It's just that it would have been less stomach-turning if Smith hadn't been in it. I wish they'd made it more scary/serious.

I'm with Martin on this one. The general cheesiness of it all made it good. It was never going to win any oscars, but when I went the cinema I was thoroughly entertained and that's is all I ask out of a movie.

And I have nothing against Will "the fresh prince" Smith. I'm just against the I, Robot movie as a whole.

I'm with Martin, as well. Independence Day was supposed to be cheesy...which made it rather amusing. Not all alien movies need to be horrifying/scary.

However, I, Robot is completely a different subject. There are times for cheesiness and times to avoid it...unforunately, I,Robot is likely to be ruined. :(

Yes, exactly. I doubt if they are gonna make I, Robot cheesy, but Will Smith simply cannot not do cheesy.

Pity ...

If we are talking cheesey SF... MARS ATTACK! How fab is that? :) Who thought it was good? I just love Tim Burton and his warped vision and humor :)

Regards
Sillywabbit

I like Mars Attacks. But one thing always annoyed me. The martians breathe nitrogen, so they need to chew gum to breathe on Earth. But isn't over 70% of the air nitrogen?
:confused:

Perhaps I should switch to the question thread.

Just took a look at the I, Robot trailer - what a travesty!!

I'm a huge Isaac Asimov fan and all I can say is that he must be rolling over in his grave and THROWING UP!!!

Can you tell I hated it? Horrible, horrible, horrible . . . mutter, mutter . . .

Ell :(

Personally, I like Will Smith, in those films where his deadpan style plays into the comedic aspects of the work. He doesn't belong in I, Robot, however.

Needless to say, I'm as dismayed and disappointed as everyone else here. Being a huge Asmiov fan, I was really, really excited when the original I, Robot website went up; I hoped that it would be somewhat like Bicentennial Man, which was very well done. Instead we're getting the same re-hashed, warmed-over, congealed-gravy twaddle that Hollywood has been trying to spoon-feed us for years.

I loved I, Robot, and I thought that Asimov was trying to really get into the gritty details of how people would interact with androids, and, in a deeper sense, how people deal with each other. This film is just going to suck. Why on earth does Hollywood think they have to dumb down every literary piece that might prove to be mildly meaningful in addition to being entertaining? Why, oh why???

I don't neccesarily think I, Robot is gonna suck - hell, it might prove to be hugely entertaining - but I don't think it's gonna do justice to the book at all.

On a sidenote, I absolutely loathe Bicentennial man. But hey, that's just me.

Martin said:
I don't neccesarily think I, Robot is gonna suck - hell, it might prove to be hugely entertaining - but I don't think it's gonna do justice to the book at all.
Having watched the trailer again, I agree that the film itself may prove to be pretty entertaining. I just wish it wasn't called "I, Robot" because it bears no resemblance to the tone or message of the book.

Ell

Thank you, Ell, for saying exactly what I wanted to say, but failed miserably at! :)

Back