• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

I, Robot

:eek: :eek: :eek: Gizmo! You MUST STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND GO BUY THIS BOOK!! Immediately! Without Delay!

It is a classic and you will love it! Much better than the move, from what I'm told (haven't seen it yet -- waiting for the rentals to slow down). Yeah, I like Will Smith, but the plot in the book is so much more complex.

Cathy
Penguins everywhere love Asimov!

Cathy C said:
:eek: :eek: :eek: Gizmo! You MUST STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND GO BUY THIS BOOK!! Immediately! Without Delay!

It is a classic and you will love it! Much better than the move, from what I'm told (haven't seen it yet -- waiting for the rentals to slow down). Yeah, I like Will Smith, but the plot in the book is so much more complex.

Cathy
Penguins everywhere love Asimov!
I will obey, my master! :D :D :D

I think the movie was great, but as a movie. I haven't read the book but it's my guess that they're quite different. The movie probably doesn't represent the book very well, the book was probably great too in different ways, but I'll just say it again, THE MOVIE WAS DEFINITELY GREAT!!!!!

Ok I finally got round to watching I, Robot. I actually thought it was okay (and fairly entertaining) if you forgot the fact that it was supposed to be based on Asimov's work. It bears little resembelance to the meaning of the book but it does try and get across the message of the three laws (not sure how sucessfully though). One thing I thought was good was that they also incorporated Asimov's Zeroth Law into the movie (through accident or design).

Phil enjoyed the movie (though he hasn't read I, Robot). I haven't read it for years but I can still vividly remember the plot (though I also studied Robotics - so spent time studying the three laws etc). All in all a fairly watchable movie if you don't have any expectations of it following the book :)

I Robot, the movie and other...

Now that we’ve all seen the movie titled, "I Robot," how do Science Fiction buffs rate it? I think it unfortunate that the title suggests some connection to the collection of robot stories by Isaac Asimov published as, "I Robot." Of course, there is none other than the use of the name Susan Calvin. It bears no resemblance to anything Asimov would have written. It’s pure Hollywood with special effects.

The title, "I Robot," used for the book, over Asimov’s strenuous objection, was also "stolen" from an even earlier work. Asimov pointed out that the title had already been used for a short story by Eando Binder published in 1939. (The writing team, Earl and Otto Binder)

Be that as it may, I wonder how many are acquainted with the screenplay for a movie to be called, "I Robot," written by Harlan Ellison in 1978. It is said by some to be "The Greatest Science Fiction Movie NEVER Made!" Asimov said that Harlan Ellison had done an excellent job of tying together some of the stories that appear in the collection titled, "I Robot," Doubleday, 1950.

I think Asimov would have been thoroughly pleased with the movie scripted by Harlan Ellison in 1978. He would have been appalled by the movie produced in 2004.

"I Robot," an illustrated screenplay by Harlan Ellison, ISBN 0-7434-8659-5

One of the few S.F. movies I liked... interesting idea, breaking the rules of "cybernetic life"! :p

I liked it, I don't think it was bad by any means. I agree with earlier posters who commented that Mars Attacks was much cheesier.:cool:

Back