• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

I, Robot

Martin said:
I don't neccesarily think I, Robot is gonna suck - hell, it might prove to be hugely entertaining - but I don't think it's gonna do justice to the book at all.

I love Asimov's work's but I'm not going to bother with this movie. I agree that its not going to do any justice to the book :( Mind you I guess I felt the same about Crichton's Timeline, absolutely loved the book but thought the movie was a joke!

I didn't even know they made I, Robot into a film, and from the sounds of it I know why. It's not the knida thing you can make into a film, though it is great as it is.

Asimov's I ROBOT

official film site

Just watched the trailer. Looks damn promising.

A very difficult film to do cos it will be hard to capture the 3 laws as this is the main theme to the robot stories

And here are the laws

1 A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

2 A robot must obey orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.

3 A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

Didn't the movie with Robin Williams as a robot have the 3 laws? Millennium Man, I think it was called? I remember not being terribly impressed by the movie but pleasantly surprised to see them use the 3 laws in it.

You're wrong, I'm right. Period.

Ahhh, I love a good discussion.

No, seriously, it might be entertaining, but it's in no way gonna resemble the books.

Cheers, Martin :cool:

Agree on it not mirroring the book(s). If you watch the featurette (spelling?) the director says he is going more for a feel as the plot is taken from sme of the short stories.

The idea of the 3 laws is quite cerebral and to translate it so the masses can understand and make some money at the same time is not the easiest thing in the world.

Just look at 99% of entertainment, it's all in your face detritus.

I'm sorry to admit that I have never read Asimov's I, Robot. So although I suspect the movie had little in common with it besides the 3 laws, I was wondering if anyone who has seen it has also read it. Just before the credits, it says it was "suggested by" Asimov's work. Suggested by-- that was cute.

"Suggested by" oh dear. That means it's nothing like the books and they're just cashing in on the asimov name. Kinda in line with recent blockbusters that seek credibilty by being 'based' on classic historical legends when really they're just royalty free excuses for bigger armies to run at bigger castles. I wonder which greedy parasite sold the robot rights then?

I have read the book, but I have not seen the film. I've noticed that some of the characters from the book have been included in the film. (Dr. Calvin.) I don't think Will Smiths characters is present in the book though.

In generel i was a bit bored by the book, I'd much rather Asimov had written a single book-length story involving the three rules of robotics. However, some of the stories are somewhat interesting. In one story, the way a robot order was given has to be dug from memory, since this has influenced the robots prioritizing of the three rules. Rule 2 may sometimes be considered of higher importance than Rule 1.

In another story, a robot is trying to carry out a task (rule 2), but at one point the job gets too dangerous, so rule 3 gets the upperhand. Then when the robot removes itself from danger, rule 2 takes over again. This way the robot cycles between rule 2 and 3, but never actually completes the task.

From anyone who has seen the movie, is this prioritizing issue addressed in the movie?

For me it seemed like the film's plot was more like the plot from 'Caves of Steel' than 'I, Robot'. Without going into too much detail, it's a murder mystery where the main suspect 'couldn't possibly' have committed the murder, and it falls to a detective with a strong dislike of robots to solve the case. If you liked the idea of robots prioritizing the 3 laws, I'd highly suggest you check out the Asimov series that begins with Caves of Steel. The other books are Naked Steel and Robots of Dawn, I think. They are all sci-fi mysteries.

I was glad to see the Zeroth Law come into use, even if they didn't specifically name it in the movie. Plus if I remember right it came from the later Foundation books and not the Robot series...they pretty much just mixed and matched from Asimov's different books.

I tried reading the book when I was a kid but I wasn't ready for it then. I just saw the movie, and from I remember from the book, they're totally different... except for the three laws and the basic theme maybe... I'm going to give the book another try soon.

I, Robot by Asimov is one of the best short stories ever written. I, Robot the movie is horrible. Asimov's robots were peacful.

I loved the movie I, Robot!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
It was great and Will Smith was awesome! His character was a lot of fun and I liked that he and the lady did not end up as a couple right away!!!
(I have to confess that I've not yet read the book.)

Back