• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Ian McEwan: Saturday

Stewart

Ian McEwan’s Saturday is the story of Henry Perowne, a London based neurosurgeon, as he reflects on his life via the events that happen during his day off. Mixing organised chores with random incidents, the novel provides a great character study, one of a man coming to terms with his advancing years, although the book is low on action.

One morning, Perowne wakes early to witness an aviation accident, which troubles him throughout the day. As the day progresses he makes love to his wife, gets involved in a traffic accident, gets beat at squash, buys fish, visits his sick mother, listens to his son’s band perform, argues politics with his poetess daughter, and settles down for a family meal in the evening. While all this happens, the London march against the impending war in Iraq gathers momentum.

The characters are extremely well done with the exception, perhaps, of Daisy, Perowne’s daughter, who simply argues her anti-war stance and hides her own little secret. Daisy and Theo, his son, are, unlike their father, creative souls, and at the age where they are ready to flee the nest. Baxter, the novel’s main antagonist, is a young man rendered emotionally unstable by a degenerative brain disease, embarrassed by his condition yet unable to prevent its detriment to his life. And Perowne, through all this, meditates on everything, no matter how seemingly insignificant, and the author presents him as emotionally ambivalent man; a man slow to take sides, but always willing to consider the wider picture.

The plot is small but the emotional and philosophical conclusions drawn from each observation or incident serves to complete the picture of Henry Perowne’s day. In the evening, Baxter returns to cause havoc with the surgeon’s family, a scaled down metaphor for the impending invasion of Iraq being an example of how one event, no matter how minimal, can lead to big changes in one’s life.

Overall, McEwan has crafted a novel worthy of praise, but its meditative assault can be overwhelming at times; the use of neurosurgical terms is difficult for the layman, but our protagonist is a neurosurgeon so it’s more than appropriate. It’s certainly relevant to the current political climate, and probably serves as a slightly autobiographical account of McEwan’s feelings as his own family grows up and becomes independent. Saturday is worth the read, for an interesting study of making sense of the world, and of growing old; or, as Perowne says, Saturday will become Sunday.

Ian McEwan, I think, is amongst the 5 greatest writers of our time. And his genius seems increase each time he crafts a novel.

McEwan's portrayal of Henry Perowne, his character descriptions in general, I think, are unrivalled today. In Saturday he brings the reader underneath the skin of this - as Lee Siegel put it - western everyman of the priviliged sort. The rational Perowne is really very pleased with his life: he loves his wife, he loves his children, and he takes a great interest in his work as a neurosurgeon. And on this particular day his literate, "too literate", poet of a daughter is coming home from Paris to join a sort of family reunion.

I don't want to say too much in case I ruin the plot for prospective readers, but I've been writing a major essay on McEwan and I'm therefore very familiar with Saturday and his other works. I really do recommend this book to everyone, it's a modern classic. Don't be discouraged by the medical terminology, if you read carefully you might find McEwan is, metaphorically, describing art (that of writing for example) in general.

Just finished this.

Overall, I thought it was a good novel; extremely well-crafted, well put together, with good characterizations etc; pretty much agree with Stewart there. I like the juxtaposition, if that's the right word, of the international/civilizational conflict and the personal ones.

However, there were some things that irked me about it. For starters, Henry Perowne is a well-written character, but he's also a fairly dull one. All the various discussion of the rights and wrongs of war often veered far too far into becoming just a re-hash of the same discussion in "reality" 2.5 years ago. And then the
scene where Daisy subdues Baxter with poetry... come on. Come the **** ON.

Overall, I'd definitely recommend it, though. Am I the only one to whom it occurred somewhere towards the end that maybe I should have been looking for allusions to "Ulysses" - takes place in one day, starts and ends with him in bed with his wife, has him travelling all over the city while musing on everything about his life and the world around him... hmmm.

I enjoyed it too, with reservations.

First of all I loved the idea of the protagonist being a literature-hater. It's the perfect antidote to all those books about aspiring writers or has-been writers or writers writing books which turn out to actually be the book that you're reading, etc. etc. But then he spoils it by putting two poets in the family.

The post-9-11/Iraq war atmosphere seemed surplus to requirements, with the exception of the first scene where Perowne is worried about the plane crashing. The debates with his daughter are clunky and feel like a soapbox for the author's own opinions. The way in which the car accident happens is a nice point of intersection, but that's about the only one. It feels like the plot was initially inspired by the war demonstrations but then slowly drifted away.

That said, the characterisation is brilliant (although I think we could have been spared a little of the neurojargon at the beginning). And it's a real page-turner.

As for the
salvation-by-poetry scene, I'm willing to give that the benefit of the doubt because of the foreshadowing when we were first introduced to Baxter's medical condition. Even so, that scene was full of false notes, which was surprising considering how pitch-perfect the rest of the book was.

I just finished Saturday, this morning. I've never read anything quite like it, where not much actually happens in the book, yet everything and all the spaces in between are described down to the minutest detail. I found those introspective narratives a bit verbose and a challenge to get through; my mind wandered a bit. :eek: Having said that, though, the whole point of the book was to examine every detail and thought in Henry's day, and without it, the book wouldn't have kept my interest. Sounds like a contradiction, but there you have it. :rolleyes:

I have to agree with Beer Good and Wintergreen about the scene with
Daisy and Baxter. I know it was somewhat explained by Baxter's condition, but it just seemed far-fetched
. I found it ridiculous. :rolleyes:

It's my second McEwan book, and I'll no doubt be reading some of his others. Having a look on Amazon, I'm quite surprised by how many he has written. I thought he'd only written 3. :eek:

Ian McEwan, I think, is amongst the 5 greatest writers of our time. And his genius seems increase each time he crafts a novel.

McEwan's portrayal of Henry Perowne, his character descriptions in general, I think, are unrivalled today. In Saturday he brings the reader underneath the skin of this - as Lee Siegel put it - western everyman of the priviliged sort. The rational Perowne is really very pleased with his life: he loves his wife, he loves his children, and he takes a great interest in his work as a neurosurgeon. And on this particular day his literate, "too literate", poet of a daughter is coming home from Paris to join a sort of family reunion.

I don't want to say too much in case I ruin the plot for prospective readers, but I've been writing a major essay on McEwan and I'm therefore very familiar with Saturday and his other works. I really do recommend this book to everyone, it's a modern classic. Don't be discouraged by the medical terminology, if you read carefully you might find McEwan is, metaphorically, describing art (that of writing for example) in general.

Hey Morty

I agree wholeheartedly that McEwen is one of the top five writers of the current era. His prose is a model of clarity.

What I loved about this novel is the multitude of levels it operates on. I loved the mixture of common-sense observations (the way he deals with his daughter's professor's belief that the mentally ill aren't really mentally ill at all was classic). I also enjoyed his observations on art, which I took to be a personal statement.

However, much as I love his writing, I find some of his moral conundrums to be a little glib and convenient. Didn't you find it a little "too good to be true" that he just happened to be a neurosurgeon, given the fate of the bad guy? Although presented with seemingly intractible moral dilemmas, McEwan's characters always manage to resolve those problems with "clever" solutions which appear morally superior yet pragmatically effective, but, it has to be said, which appear to have been crafted with the benefit of hindsight.

Or perhaps I'm just being picky.....

Regards. The Doogster

I both enjoyed and admired the book, liked it in fact much better than Atonement. I actually enjoyed the neurosurgery parts, as a rebellion against all those novels where writers are examining their navels because they don't know how to make a living in any way but writing. The strong interest in his work made Perowne real to me, although his having an encounter with someone whose problem he could diagnose was a coincidence right out of Dickens.

Saturday is the fifth McEwan book I have read, I read it immediately after On Chesil Beach, which I enjoyed a lot.Saturday is totally different yet similar to On Chesil Beach as it shows how people's psychologies reflect the events and mentalities of a certain age:the 21st century in the former, the 60s in the latter.
And yes, beer good, the first book that came to my mind when I started reading Saturday was Ulysses.
Perowne's way of seeing events and even what happens to his family are typical for our media-dominated age in which we are keen on watching the news but doubt the real nature of events.
And I liked Perowne's love for his wife.:D

Back