• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

If you......

SFG75

were about to be stranded on an island for a great length of time and could choose one book-what book would it be and why?

Personally, I have a book that contains Thoreau's Civil Disobedience, Walden, and On Walking. These three works contain messages that in my opinion, would apply to every situation and emotion that a person could possibly experience.

Walden is an intersting thought but I'm not sure it'd be so poignant while stranded on a deserted island.

I'm thinking War and Peace.

I'd take an unabdridged dictionary. My spelling is horrible and I'd need to look words up to make sure that my bottle bound messages were intelligent sounding. I wouldn't want someone picking up my bottle, reading it and thinking "Wow. This person is ignorant. Best to leave them on the island so they can't breed".

ions said:
So which of the identical initial threads are we replying to? ;)

Yea, I'm sure he got snagged in the software somehow and double posted this by accident. I reported it, so hopefully they will be merged.

Yeah there are piles of books on survival you could take. I bet one even includes 'Desert Island' in the title. I thought the spirit of the thread was what literature/fiction would you take?

Ah, silly me :eek:. Well then I guess it would have to be War and Peace. That would probably be the only opportunity I would have to read it. A Short History of Nearly Everything would be pretty interesting to have also, once I think about it.

The Bible because it would be an interesting read...something I could learn from.
The Annotated Lolita just because I love it and would like to really read it again.

Carla Emery's Encyclopedia of Country Living would be my choice. She has so much practical information packed in there. From how to handle an emergency unassisted childbirth, to which plants to avoid(with drawings). Her writing style is very personable; it would be almost like having a wise friend along.

The Norton Anthology of Poetry.

I take my desert island fantasies seriously. I really would like a long time to contemplate poetry--its intensity and precision, its universality. When I read a poem, I need to absorb it before I can go on. An island sojourn would be prefect.

SFG75 said:
were about to be stranded on an island for a great length of time and could choose one book-what book would it be and why?

Personally, I have a book that contains Thoreau's Civil Disobedience, Walden, and On Walking. These three works contain messages that in my opinion, would apply to every situation and emotion that a person could possibly experience.

a blank notebook and lots of pens. if i was on this island for a great length of time, i might get some writing done. are we allowed to have pens? if not, then i'd take.....ooooh....err.......um..... i'll get back to you.....

Blank books and pens are a great thing to have. If one is alone, there'd be time to write and less distractions..

I would take Pale Fire for it is just a wonderful book with so many different i guess angles to it(i'm tired hush!)

ions said:
I thought the spirit of the thread was what literature/fiction would you take?

Figures I would be the first one with the smartass answer. If I had to choose fiction I'd pick The Crimson Petal and the White. It just came in the mail this weekend and it looks like it would keep me entertained for a very long time.

oh i dunno maybe the latest edition of The Norton Reader or my anthology of pulps. a drawing book would be cool...

If I could take any book, I would definitely take my Inductive Study Bible...I'd need something to calm my fears at night!
But, if I could only take fiction...(and I'm surprised nobody's mentioned it) I would doubtless take Robinson Crusoe...I mean, what more comforting book than one that describes a guy in your position? I dunno...

Something filled with the wildest fantasies imaginable. Barring that, perhaps The Tales of Scheherazade.

Back