• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

I'm going to be crushed

Well, I think I may be the most prolific buyer of books having, this year to date, bought 178 books. Out of these, I've read 32 (it's about half of the books I've read this year). There's about seven more I've picked up, read a bit, and then put down so I don't count them as having been read and they return to the TBR pile.

Then there's all the books from previous years that I've never got around to reading and there's a fair few of them. So, I would say my TBR pile falls in around the 200 book mark.

When I visit the library I tend to take out the full allocation of sixteen books for the three weeks allowed; just in case I fancy reading some of them. I don't always read them.

I've sold a number of books on eBay and through Amazon Marketplace this year and will continue to do so in order to whittle down the list of books bought years ago that, having moved on as a reader, I know I will never read: King, Koontz, Rice, Brite, Laymon, etc.

But I'm addicted to buying books off eBay (they may never come round that cheap again! - is my woeful justification) and Amazon Marketplace too. Moreso, I'm addicted to buying the Penguin Classics - silver for 20th Century, black for the earlier stuff. I had about seven of these at the start of the year - I must have about 100 now. :eek:

The worrying thing was I had placed a book buying embargo on myself at the start of the year, deciding I wasn't going to buy anything for so long. It only made me want books more.

I keep convincing myself I'm stockpiling so I won't need to buy any books next year. But Penguin keep releasing new classics. And the online stores keep throwing up bargains. Vicious circle. :mad:

Stewart said:
I know I will never read: King, Koontz, Rice, Brite, Laymon, etc.

You said you would read Koontz's Intensity and tell us what you thought of it. :(

You do know I've been awaiting your review with interest, don't you? ;)

Well, you won't believe me, but you missed out on a good book there. :)

And I just posted off Mr Murder by the same drekmeister. :D

Went through the shops and had to stop myself buying some stuff. I was going to buy the new Writers & Artists Yearbook 2007 but I'm in no hurry. If I'd seen it, I would actually have bought King's On Writing, just to see what it was like after all. This decision was prompted by seeing that Elizabeth George had a similar book called Write Away and it just looked terrible.

lady.cordelia said:
my grandmother (also a great book lover) gave me her HUGE book collection when she died.
The only thing my relatives are likely to leave me are hereditary medical problems like dementia :D
Come to think of it I'll probably be the sad old aunt who leaves behind tons of books ..:(

Stewart said:
this year to date, bought 178 books.
I'm too scared to tally up how many I've bought.

When I visit the library I tend to take out the full allocation of sixteen books for the three weeks allowed;
16? My library only allows 9 :(

Moreso, I'm addicted to buying the Penguin Classics - silver for 20th Century, black for the earlier stuff. I had about seven of these at the start of the year - I must have about 100 now.
That is why I refuse to buy even one of those damningly tempting editions, 1 leads to 2, 2 leads to 200.

If I'd seen it, I would actually have bought King's On Writing, just to see what it was like after all.
I quite enjoyed On Writing,it was basically a memoir of sorts - an interesting peek into his life.

Blimey, that is quite a list.
Buddha Da, Anne Donovan
Have you read that one yet? If so, would you say it was a top of the pile book, somewhere in the middle or right at the bottom?
Salt In The Blood: Fishing Communities In Scotland, Jim Miller
This one sounds like riveting reading. Can we expect a review?:D

I doubt I'd be able to maintain a list though, I haven't even finished putting stuff onto listal and i'm already bored of it.

I think they get surprised when someone in Glasgow checks out a book. "Take more, take more."
:D

I've not read Buddha Da yet, although I've read the first few pages. I know steffee is reading it at the moment so perhaps she'll review it for us when she has finished it.

As for Salt In The Blood, I may do a review. I doubt it's as obscure as the book about Onion Johnnies though. :D

Stewart said:
I've not read Buddha Da yet, although I've read the first few pages. I know steffee is reading it at the moment so perhaps she'll review it for us when she has finished it.
Excellent, I'll pester her until she posts a review :D .

I doubt it's as obscure as the book about Onion Johnnies though.
I saw that sitting on a neighbours bookshelf, surrounded by fantasy books and men's health magazines. Bizarre.

I don't really know how many I have bought this year (just for me or for my kids), but my grandmother died this year so I just got all those books and I still want more, but I have a ton to go through that I haven't read.

I tried going to a place where you can list your collection, but got tired after the 200th book and just couldn't fill it in anymore (and that wasn't even probably a 10th of my collection).

I doubt you saw it, but in Disney's Beauty and the Beast the beast takes Belle into his library, which is several stories high and just beautiful and grand. That is one of my favorite scenes! LOL! I would love to have a library like that and one day probably will need that much space.

wow! hmm . . . i guess i just don't know anything about the one you are referring. i looked it up on wikipedia, but just came across borge and not much about his collection. must be fascinating.

correct me if i'm wrong, but wouldn't it then only contain 410-page books, thus even leaving out his short stories!

i'm in a drugged stupor at the moment, having just had surgery again, so forgive me if i'm blabbering and didn't make sense of what i wrote or what i read on wikipedia, but it just looked like that to me.

lady.cordelia said:
correct me if i'm wrong, but wouldn't it then only contain 410-page books, thus even leaving out his short stories!

Though the order and content of the books is random and apparently completely meaningless, the inhabitants believe that the books contain every possible ordering of just a few basic characters (letters and punctuation marks). Though the majority of the books in this universe are pure gibberish, the library also must contain, somewhere, every coherent book ever written, or that might ever be written, and every possible permutation or slightly erroneous version of every one of those books. The narrator notes that the library must contain all useful information, including predictions of the future, biographies of any person, and translations of every book in all languages.

I can't rememeber the bit about 410 pages but the idea is that everything is there. I may read the story tomorrow to refresh myself with it.

Stewart said:
I can't rememeber the bit about 410 pages but the idea is that everything is there. I may read the story tomorrow to refresh myself with it.
it looks like most of the books are gibberish and you have to wade through the infinitesimal library to find the books of substance, books that answer any question imaginable and all truths of the universe, etc. that would be intriguing.

i guess maybe you are just wanting that size/space for your library, but filled with your own books. i think i'll stick with the B&B library or the monk's library from Ever After - filled with classics and manageable, something i may be able to actually utilize and read a good # of the books and actually feel some accomplishment.

I'll take the Library of Alexandria (before it was destroyed) and also the British Library.:D

Back