• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

I'm going to be crushed

Dogmatix

by my TBR pile! Well okay it's actually several piles. I have so many books scattered and piled that I'm beginning to lose track of them.

With the understanding that books will always jockey for position near the top of the pile how do you guys keep some order? Is there a point where you just have to say NO MORE BOOKS until I make at least a small dent in this pile. (heaven forbid!)

I guess I just need poor old hubby to build some more book shelves but then I'm worried that even these will become a disaster.

Help!

Books are starting to overflow from my shelves now too and I've decided to go looking for more books tomorrow with a friend. :eek: I don't think I could ever say "no more till this lots done" because it simply isn't possible. I try to keep my TBR shelves as organised as possible, with the ones I feel I might read sooner than others at one side and the odd fragmented series books and ones I'm not sure about at the other, but even this is going to become a lot harder soon.

Perhaps the only solution we book lovers have is to buy a small library. :confused:

Well I'm just back now from a bit of housekeeping and I decided to at least to move all the books into one location. I've got them all lined up against one wall now. Seems more manageable if I can at least see them all. When they're spread all over I feel like it's very possible I'll never get to many of them. Now let's count them 1,2,3,........ Ah nevermind.

Argh, my TBR pile has hundreds of books now. It's sad. Not only do I keep buying more, I keep borrowing stacks of books from the library each week too!

I need a serious run of unemployment, like maybe a year. Then I could get even 1/3rd of the books that I want to read done.

Why do we do this? It's not logical at all. I mean it's not like the bookstore is going to run out of books and we won't be able to get anymore. It's almost hoarding.

drmjwdvm said:
Why do we do this? It's not logical at all. I mean it's not like the bookstore is going to run out of books and we won't be able to get anymore. It's almost hoarding.

Perhaps some of us have a need to gather books incase we suddenly feel we need to hibernate. :confused:

tartan_skirt said:
Books are starting to overflow from my shelves now too and I've decided to go looking for more books tomorrow with a friend. :eek: I don't think I could ever say "no more till this lots done" because it simply isn't possible. I try to keep my TBR shelves as organised as possible, with the ones I feel I might read sooner than others at one side and the odd fragmented series books and ones I'm not sure about at the other, but even this is going to become a lot harder soon.

Perhaps the only solution we book lovers have is to buy a small library. :confused:

Why don't you sell some of them on Ebay and get some money for them? :cool:

My TBR pile - which is basically nothing compared to other members on here - has gotten to the size that I have decided to stop buying books until I have gotten through them, and even when that's done I think that I will rely heavily on my local library rather than buying as I am supposed to be saving for uni. The book-buying ban doesn't reach to buying books to finish off series that I have half-collected, though - it's just wrong to have only one half of a series sitting on your shelf!

i keep telling myself i will buy no more books till i have read all the ones i have now.. but it just doesn't work that way! especially if there is a sale.. or i need a book for the book club.. or i have to buy the latest in a series in case i don't see it again - yes, i know that just me justifying my habit... my unread books are in the shelves with others of the same author.. i know i lose some that way, but what a joy it is at times to discover an unread book waiting for me!

i have a library at home.. :) yes, it's a room lined in bookcases, with a desk and a big easy chair.. and the shelves are mostly all double stacked, with lots stacked on top too, and some more books stacked in any gaps.. i don't know what i will do in years to come when i can't stack any more books in there.. start piling on the floor i guess! :D cos i know only too well, i will never stop buying more books, why stop the habit of a lifetime? :eek:

I don't mind that I have a TBR pile, it's just that I wish it would stay at a steady number; read 4, buy 4, and so on. Lately it's been read 1, buy 4. :p I can't stop....

drmjwdvm said:
I don't mind that I have a TBR pile, it's just that I wish it would stay at a steady number; read 4, buy 4, and so on. Lately it's been read 1, buy 4. :p I can't stop....

Congratulations Doc, you're normal:p I think the 'problem' is we know there's all those terrific books out there since we hear about them in forums such as this one..I know I don't have to own, or even read them all-Thank God, since it could never be done anyway! - but its sure fun to try;)

Oh God, I know. I could never part with a book I've enjoyed. I just love to look at them all lined up like beautiful little soldiers on my shelves. I respect those having the control to be able to share, give, or sell books for others to enjoy but I just can't do it.

I have three books in my "TBR" pile, and I'm already freaking out about that. Okay, I'm not exactly freaking out, but I usually read books after I buy them ;).

sirmyk said:
Always pull from the top; otherwise, it's like a game of Jenga sometimes.

True, but a psychologist could have field day with my 'method'..I nearly never want the book on top! Usually I don't even want one that's visible, preferring to hunt the house over at least twice:p

It's impossible to say no to getting more books (especially when I rescue so many that the public library is just going to throw away), but I sadly have no method to being able to put a dent in my reading material. Really it all comes down to what I feel like reading at the moment.

Back