• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Inappropriate language

Kookamoor

Earlier today I posted a message on a photography forum to which I belong. After I pushed the 'post' button, however, it told me that there was inappropriate language in the message text and could not be posted. I scanned the message looking for my spelling error that must have been a freudian slip, but to no avail. Then I realised that it must be picking up the word 'crap' which I had used. I replaced it with 'bad' and the message posted.

Now in my world, the word 'crap' is perfectly acceptable. Granted, it's not particularly eloquent to use, but it perfectly described what I was talking about, which was the inadequate performance of a piece of equipment for the price that was paid. It wasn't just bad, it was crap.

I don't want this to be an expletive laden thread, I'm just interested in different interpretations of what is inappropriate language.

I have had this 'discussion' many times.

I feel it is very hard to draw a line at what constitutes inappropriate language as people obviously have different tolerances. I myself am rarely bothered and there are very few words I will take exception to. However I know people that would deem the most minor of words 'inappropriate' :rolleyes:

Adults can use whatever language they want to use. I usually watch it around kids and in public and I use asterisks when I post a naughty word.

This thread makes me wonder why we get so shocked and horrified when kids use swear words. (It's not that I don't! Just musing.) Usually the kids don't really know what they mean, but since adults DO know maybe it bothers us because we think kids are supposed to be innocent? Or is it just that we view using bad language as a bad habit and therefore something kids should be taught not to do?

It depends on who I'm with, I use some pretty foul language at home but at school or work I am perfectly G rated. I know some are really offended by certain words that I wouldn't blink an eye at. I did get a warning at another forum for a stupid joke that had the word Molasses in it, it (the joke) was deemed as inappropriate. I soon found that this forum was not big on jokes as I recieved a second warning & stern lecture for another joke.

Profanity is what we make it. It isn't so much the word used as it is the intent behind the word. I don't care about what words people use, though I usually watch my language because of wanting to leave a good impression.

At home I will use swears on occassion as these words are usually the shortest route to expressing a particular emotion or frustration with a situation. At work and out other places I keep my words G-rated.

On forums, I try to moderate my profanity. I don't consider "crap" a profanity, though some might. It's a lot nicer than some alternatives!

I don't like when people swear a lot, I think it shows a lack of imagination in their language, much like in some movies, where every other word uttered is the F word, it turns me off not just because of the crudity but because it's just boring. I think it's sad if profanity is the only way a person knows to express him or herself.

The idea of a word filter on a forum is real laughable to me. I don't know why, but things like that are easy to control-by other members of the given forum. The crowd typically has a tendency towards moderation-if you let it work itself out long enough.

Miss Shelf said:
I don't like when people swear a lot, I think it shows a lack of imagination in their language, much like in some movies, where every other word uttered is the F word, it turns me off not just because of the crudity but because it's just boring. I think it's sad if profanity is the only way a person knows to express him or herself.
I'm totally with you. I don't tend to swear very much at all and I find that people who do are often trying to make themselves look cool or big in front of other people. I just find them lame. When I hear teenagers talking to each other and every second word is an f, s, c, d, etc I want to turn around and say, "Until you get yourself a vocabulary it would be better to keep your thoughts and expletives to yourself". But I know this won't really do any good.

Mind you, when I have kids there is no way I'm going to tolerate people talking that way around them. I know they're going to pick it up anyway, but they're still going to realise that I don't appreciate hearing that sort of talk.

Ronny said:
I did get a warning at another forum for a stupid joke that had the word Molasses in it
Huh?! Did I miss something here? PM me the joke, Ronny!

Ronny said:
I did get a warning at another forum for a stupid joke that had the word Molasses in it, it (the joke) was deemed as inappropriate.

And you claim to not be a troublemaker??? :confused: Better not let Phil see this. He'll be highlighting you on his list.

Bad words don't bother me. I have two brothers and grew up being "just one of the boys". I work in a male dominated industry that thrives on sexual jokes, profanity, and public burping/farting (remember this when the ambulance comes to your house). I try hard to keep my language clean in writing, but I'm not always so good at it verbally.

Kook, I sent you the joke. I mean it's a bad joke, but does it really merit a warning for inappropriate language and offensive content? that's what they gave me and they were all mean about it :(

mehastings said:
And you claim to not be a troublemaker??? :confused: Better not let Phil see this. He'll be highlighting you on his list.

Bad words don't bother me. I have two brothers and grew up being "just one of the boys". I work in a male dominated industry that thrives on sexual jokes, profanity, and public burping/farting (remember this when the ambulance comes to your house). I try hard to keep my language clean in writing, but I'm not always so good at it verbally.

I'm good I swear, I've got proof, bad jokes maybe but trouble no,no, no, not me :)

Where's my angel smiley :confused:

angel.gif
Here you go. You can use the link. It's my webspace.

I have no problem with "bad" language in general. I do have a problem with bad language when it's directed at someone.

There's no such thing as bad language. There's rudeness, sexual explicitness, threats, and obscenity, but it's all good language.

Ronny said:
It depends on who I'm with, I use some pretty foul language at home but at school or work I am perfectly G rated. I know some are really offended by certain words that I wouldn't blink an eye at. I did get a warning at another forum for a stupid joke that had the word Molasses in it, it (the joke) was deemed as inappropriate. I soon found that this forum was not big on jokes as I recieved a second warning & stern lecture for another joke.

Oh, dear... I am all red...
You used THAT word... Molas...se...s...
How have you dared to? It's... It's unforgivable, that's what it is!

No wonder youngsters are so bad these days...

Molasses... My dear grandmother has never used that word in all her life...

novella,

Hmmmmm.
So, inappropriate circumstances? Community standards? Good manners? Or what? :confused:
Are there standards elsewhere than the US?
Peder

Back