• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Inappropriate language

It seems so. In the UK, there are people with nothing better to do that write to TV channels complaining about the language used. I wished they gave the age of those people. I had a colleague who went completely red as soon as she heard anything remotely resembling a swear word.

I guess that's the way it is everywhere - we have people writing and calling about "foul language" here in Russia.
Along with people complaining that there are too many miniskirts on the streets...

Sergo said:
...people complaining that there are too many miniskirts on the streets...

wha wha WHAAAAAT???? :eek: :eek: :eek:

motokid remembers he has daughters....

yeah....when are those damn mini's going out of style.....

Sergo said:
Oh, dear... I am all red...
You used THAT word... Molas...se...s...
How have you dared to? It's... It's unforgivable, that's what it is!

No wonder youngsters are so bad these days...

Molasses... My dear grandmother has never used that word in all her life...

That's it!. I'm offended :eek: and I'm leaving the site. :mad: :mad:

-Just kidding, you people aren't getting rid of me that quickly. :D

Sergo said:
I guess that's the way it is everywhere - we have people writing and calling about "foul language" here in Russia.
Along with people complaining that there are too many miniskirts on the streets...

OMG! There's miniskirts still ?

:p

Motokid said:
wha wha WHAAAAAT???? :eek: :eek: :eek:

motokid remembers he has daughters....

yeah....when are those damn mini's going out of style.....

Heh, Moto... I forgot how old are your daughters?
Mine is 15, and some of her skirts are shorter than my trunks.

BTW, they have a girl in their class with at least a dozen of tattoes all over her, and nearly a pound of metal in her parts to be seen by public...

Isabell said:
OMG! There's miniskirts still ?

:p

Yep, we are that far behind the progress...

Not that I was especially angry about that one field we are behind some other countries...

SFG75 said:
That's it!. I'm offended :eek: and I'm leaving the site. :mad: :mad:

-Just kidding, you people aren't getting rid of me that quickly. :D

Exactly. We will leave together - I cannot stand it any longer.
Yar, yar.

Sergo said:
Heh, Moto... I forgot how old are your daughters?
Mine is 15, and some of her skirts are shorter than my trunks.

BTW, they have a girl in their class with at least a dozen of tattoes all over her, and nearly a pound of metal in her parts to be seen by public...

My oldest is now 13..... :eek:

No tattoo's or outrageous piercings in her age group....not yet anyway.....
My wife and I control the clothing pretty strictly....she's way to into blue jeans to be sportin' mini's right now....thank all that is thankable for that.....

Oh yeah there are mini skirts still - and I'm not objecting :p Have a few myself, though it's only on the few really warm days in summer I can actually wear them without freezing to death :( Denmark's weather sucks.

Ronny said:
Kook, I sent you the joke. I mean it's a bad joke, but does it really merit a warning for inappropriate language and offensive content? that's what they gave me and they were all mean about it :(
It's HILARIOUS!!! Sorry, maybe it's my mood this morning, but I have a big grin on my face and am still chuckling.

Definately does not merit a warning - you should pop that one in the joke thread for sure!

Note that the "inappropriate language" is actually used in Phil's signature, by the way, so there's no way this forum would have an issue with it!

Peder said:
novella,

Hmmmmm.
So, inappropriate circumstances? Community standards? Good manners? Or what? :confused:
Are there standards elsewhere than the US?
Peder

Peder, what I mean is that all language serves a purpose. It is neither "good" nor "bad" in itself. The intention of the speaker may be to harm or threaten or shock, but the language itself is not at fault. I think its an important distinction to make. One may use any word at all with good intentions, just as one may craft a really harmful message using only so-called 'acceptable' words. IMO, these kinds of distinctions should be context-driven, not generally applied to all uses.

novella said:
Peder, what I mean is that all language serves a purpose. It is neither "good" nor "bad" in itself. The intention of the speaker may be to harm or threaten or shock, but the language itself is not at fault. I think its an important distinction to make. One may use any word at all with good intentions, just as one may craft a really harmful message using only so-called 'acceptable' words. IMO, these kinds of distinctions should be context-driven, not generally applied to all uses.

Wow. I will try to remember it... So precise in just several words... Thanks, Novella, I am glad to share this forum with you.
:)

Kookamoor said:
It's HILARIOUS!!! Sorry, maybe it's my mood this morning, but I have a big grin on my face and am still chuckling.

Definately does not merit a warning - you should pop that one in the joke thread for sure!

Note that the "inappropriate language" is actually used in Phil's signature, by the way, so there's no way this forum would have an issue with it!

Glad you liked it, I will pop it in the joke thread :) If I get a warning here though I'm gonna blame it all on you :D

Motokid said:
My oldest is now 13..... :eek:

No tattoo's or outrageous piercings in her age group....not yet anyway.....
My wife and I control the clothing pretty strictly....she's way to into blue jeans to be sportin' mini's right now....thank all that is thankable for that.....

Ha.
So I think it would be wise for you to get accustomed to the idea that all that is fortcoming... Never mind, it is not a tragedy, though.

I have always held that the "appropriateness" or "vulgarity" of language is inextricably tied to the context and intent of the user.

While, if I say "F*** you", that is without question offensive, and intentionally so, but would I be offended if my wife grabbed the back of my head and said "F*** me"? um... NO!

I have been known to have words with the punk in the car next to me who is playing his rap music so loudly that the MFers and F's and othe vulgarities can be clearly heard by my 10 year old daughter in the back seat. I think I have the right not to have a jaunt to the ice cream store interrupted by such crap. The problem with that, though, is unless the police witness the offense, it is nearly unstoppable. And, if I get into a fight with the punk ass, then, best case, my daughter sees a bad way to handle disputes, worst case, I go to jail.

stupid rap music.

Sergo said:
Ha.
So I think it would be wise for you to get accustomed to the idea that all that is fortcoming... Never mind, it is not a tragedy, though.
It will be a tragedy if my daughter comes home with anything "not approved by her parents"....there's no joking around about tattoo's or piercings in my house...

Plenty of time for that when they become adults, and are living and supporting themselves on their own.....but not while they are children, and not when mom and dad are footing the bills.....

Ronny said:
If I get a warning here though I'm gonna blame it all on you :D
Sure. If you get a warning I'll take it for you, because quite clearly I goaded you into it. Mind you, you will receive a lecture from me about, "If all you friends jumped off a bridge, would you...?" :D

novella said:
One may use any word at all with good intentions, just as one may craft a really harmful message using only so-called 'acceptable' words. IMO, these kinds of distinctions should be context-driven, not generally applied to all uses.
Novella,
I agree with that 100%, word for word.
However I was more wondering how different contexts might have different standards in different Countries. In the US, for example, printed matter that goes throgh the mail has one set of regulations, while TV/radio which use the airwaves are governed by a different set of regulations, and movies are self-regulated through a rating system. I was wondering whether there was a similar degree of oversight abroad, as well as what the standards might be. The US is comparatively prissy with respect to sex, I was wondering if the same was true with respect to language.
And, as a final thought, I notice that this forum is not governed by US law but by English law, so I have been wondering what difference that should make to me. I have heard that there is a big difference in the way libel and slander are adjudicated, for example.
Just a lot of wonderings, :)
Peder

Back