• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Incomplete Reading List

No problem, I hope I've helped you find authors you will enjoy. Be sure to let us know how it goes.

Well thanks to you I have added some really good works to my list. You see I do not know who's who- the best (cream of the crop) authors out there. So by sharing I get to discover what real novels are all about.

i think he is just trying to create a pattern. he wants two separate authors between one author. So filling in 57 would give him two separate authors between Frank Herbert books, etc.

I agree with Ions selection of authors, though!

Ask Dire Straits about some fantasy novels, as I see a handful on the list. He knows some greats.

Well, you're welcome to steal from my to-read list, stuff I've continually put off due to my busy school schedule. But Christmas break is finally just around the corner...

1. The Road by Cormac McCarthy
2. Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami
3. Libra by Don DeLillo
4. Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell
5. Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie
6. Blindness by Jose Saramago
7. Going Native by Stephen Wright
8. The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera

The next two months should be great... I am so looking forward to all these reads. Huh, need to add some female authors to the list, though... Haven't read any Atwood yet. :D

1. The Road by Cormac McCarthy
2. Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami
3. Libra by Don DeLillo
4. Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell
5. Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie
6. Blindness by Jose Saramago
7. Going Native by Stephen Wright
8. The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera

1-5 Are on my TBR list, 6 I've read, it was ok. I'll look into 7 & 8.

You may enjoy Guy Gavriel Kay's books (they're mostly fantasy, I believe). I just read The Lions of Al-Rassan and I really loved it, and I'm pretty sure that most people tote this one as his best, so I think you should start with this one. I'm not too sure about his other books, though - ask DS. He's a GGK nutter :)

I normally read two books at the same time so the list has (mostly) two "empty" spaces in any given area. When I read a series I also read two books between each book in that series- old habit.

I dont understand people who read more than one book at a time. How do or can you possibly enjoy, get involved in, and/or really understand what it is you are reading if you've got two stories going on in your head? To me, that's some wierd sort of impulsive behavioral pattern, not one of someone who simply enjoys to read and get taken away by a story. Sorry, just my opinion. But read on, this system obviously works for you.

This thread is simple to understand: What I would like is for readers in this forum to recommend novels that I may enjoy. From the books listed, one can view what kinds of novels I like reading.

Hmmm, talk about not wanting to make your own decisions.....what ever happened to cruising the book aisle and picking up something that grabs your attention? What else do you let other people do for you?
Again, sorry, just my opinion...again, your system works for you. If you're at the point where you can no longer select for yourself, maybe its time to start on another hobby other than reading? It seems to have become more of something out of necessity than something you enjoy. Again, not my intention to come off as rude, I'm just baffled.

I just hope that this thread would not be neglected. I need recommendations. :)

Long lists tend to do that to people. Specially if the purpose of the list is not clearly pointed out. :)

I dont understand people who read more than one book at a time. How do or can you possibly enjoy, get involved in, and/or really understand what it is you are reading if you've got two stories going on in your head? To me, that's some wierd sort of impulsive behavioral pattern, not one of someone who simply enjoys to read and get taken away by a story. Sorry, just my opinion. But read on, this system obviously works for you.
I personally don't read two books at a time, but judging from this thread, a majority of others do. AquaBlue is not the only one with a "wierd sort of impulsive behavioural pattern", it seems. Perhaps we are the ones with this infliction, seeing as how we seem to be in the minority.

Hmmm, talk about not wanting to make your own decisions.....what ever happened to cruising the book aisle and picking up something that grabs your attention? What else do you let other people do for you?
Again, I think that you would be in the minority with this opinion. I know that one of the main reasons I visit BAR is to read reviews and get recomendations from other members. That way you can chose books that you want to purchase before going into the shop - it saves time, as well as money wasted on rubbish books. Don't get me wrong, I still love to browse through bookshops, but I hardly ever buy books without reading up on them first. Blurbs can be deceiving ;)

Can you only watch one tv series? One movie? Listen to one musical artist? Not a perfect comparison but it works well enough. The only reason I do not read more than a book at a time is that I find it actually slows me down in the long run.

I'm amazed at the detail of Aqua's list. I'm a list maker myself, and with this Olympic Challenge I've tried to map out a strategy and plot out just which countries I'll be reading when..and all it is is sheer busywork for me.
It helps to show myself how I might get it all done..but in reality, it all depends what I can locate at the moment, and what comes in at the library that week. I find the plotting and planning enjoyable, but the real fun is how it all meshes together despite my schemes. That's what I hope Aqua discovers as well.

I personally don't read two books at a time, but judging from this thread, a majority of others do. AquaBlue is not the only one with a "wierd sort of impulsive behavioural pattern", it seems. Perhaps we are the ones with this infliction, seeing as how we seem to be in the minority.

Again, I think that you would be in the minority with this opinion. I know that one of the main reasons I visit BAR is to read reviews and get recomendations from other members. That way you can chose books that you want to purchase before going into the shop - it saves time, as well as money wasted on rubbish books. Don't get me wrong, I still love to browse through bookshops, but I hardly ever buy books without reading up on them first. Blurbs can be deceiving ;)

I knew I'd get a rise out of somebody. I don't have a problem with his systems, again, THEY WORK FOR HIM.

I guess I am the minority, I really enjoy reading and I love that feeling of being in a story and enjoying the adventure along with the characters. When I see all these books being read so soon and so fast, and on top of each other, I just can't imagine being able to fully enjoy the story.

And again, without cruising the aisles, you miss a lot of books, only reading what is recommended is fine, but there are soooooooooooooo many others out there!

I'm amazed at the detail of Aqua's list. I'm a list maker myself, and with this Olympic Challenge I've tried to map out a strategy and plot out just which countries I'll be reading when..and all it is is sheer busywork for me.
It helps to show myself how I might get it all done..but in reality, it all depends what I can locate at the moment, and what comes in at the library that week. I find the plotting and planning enjoyable, but the real fun is how it all meshes together despite my schemes. That's what I hope Aqua discovers as well.

Indeed! I used to plan my reading four or five books in advance. I've stopped because often a book comes up that I want to read immediately but I deprive myself of it because it's not set to be the next book and I'd feel guilty delaying books which were to be next. Now instead of having the next few books planned my next read always has at least four or five candidates.

You may enjoy Guy Gavriel Kay's books (they're mostly fantasy, I believe). I just read The Lions of Al-Rassan and I really loved it, and I'm pretty sure that most people tote this one as his best, so I think you should start with this one. I'm not too sure about his other books, though - ask DS. He's a GGK nutter :)

And the review is.....where? :p

Can you only watch one tv series? One movie? Listen to one musical artist? Not a perfect comparison but it works well enough. The only reason I do not read more than a book at a time is that I find it actually slows me down in the long run.

I understand your point, however a tv series is "one chapter at a time". Ok, wait, I'm eating my words...

How do I explain myself here......

(10 minutes later...)

Maybe for me, hearing the story and reading the story take two completley different abilities.

One is to sit quietly and focus and absorb the story you are reading.

The other is to sit comfortably on the sofa listening to a drama/comedy/etc. for an hour and then heading to the kitchen to wash up the dinner dishes another completely different ability.

Does that help clarify my thoughts on the whole thing? :) I've got a headache so I can't explain myself any further. I've accepted that I am the minority here. Please, don't throw the stones yet.

Indeed! I used to plan my reading four or five books in advance. I've stopped because often a book comes up that I want to read immediately but I deprive myself of it because it's not set to be the next book and I'd feel guilty delaying books which were to be next. Now instead of having the next few books planned my next read always has at least four or five candidates.

You betcha! Gotta keep the options open! I'm trying to keep about 5 books on order for this challenge at a time, so as to avoid the 'feast or famine' mode that kicks in, and to allow me time to read a non-challenge book that strikes my fancy. I figure the deadline is just a guide(think Jack Sparrow for a moment!) and this whole event has developed into a reading lifestyle change..so I'm actually and technically free to read whatever I want:D

You betcha! Gotta keep the options open! I'm trying to keep about 5 books on order for this challenge at a time, so as to avoid the 'feast or famine' mode that kicks in, and to allow me time to read a non-challenge book that strikes my fancy. I figure the deadline is just a guide(think Jack Sparrow for a moment!) and this whole event has developed into a reading lifestyle change..so I'm actually and technically free to read whatever I want:D

I love that you have a million kids but still have time to follow my threads. :)

I understand your point, however a tv series is "one chapter at a time". Ok, wait, I'm eating my words...

How do I explain myself here......

(10 minutes later...)

Maybe for me, hearing the story and reading the story take two completley different abilities.

One is to sit quietly and focus and absorb the story you are reading.

The other is to sit comfortably on the sofa listening to a drama/comedy/etc. for an hour and then heading to the kitchen to wash up the dinner dishes another completely different ability.

Does that help clarify my thoughts on the whole thing? :) I've got a headache so I can't explain myself any further. I've accepted that I am the minority here. Please, don't throw the stones yet.

Well, maybe we'll just throw tylenol tablets instead, ok? Hope your head feels better fast. I have sinus migraines, and can empathize.

One reads books in order to gain the privilege of living more than one life. People who don't read are trapped in a mineshaft, even if they think the sun is shining.

My quote would read:

One reads books in order to gain the privilege of living more than one life. One life at a time.

Back