• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Incomplete Reading List

You betcha! Gotta keep the options open! I'm trying to keep about 5 books on order for this challenge at a time, so as to avoid the 'feast or famine' mode that kicks in, and to allow me time to read a non-challenge book that strikes my fancy. I figure the deadline is just a guide(think Jack Sparrow for a moment!) and this whole event has developed into a reading lifestyle change..so I'm actually and technically free to read whatever I want:D

This is one reason I did not start the Olympic Challenge. Too binding for me. As soon as I'd choose a non-challenge book it'd be difficult for me to get back into it. I do think the challenge has merit though.

Tigana. Which was good until the very ending. Skip the last chapter and it's a great Fantasy read.

I knew I'd get a rise out of somebody. I don't have a problem with his systems, again, THEY WORK FOR HIM.
From your posts it seemed that you had major problems with his systems. I apologise if thise was not the case.

I guess I am the minority, I really enjoy reading and I love that feeling of being in a story and enjoying the adventure along with the characters.
Nothing in his systems suggests that he does anything to the contrary. Perhaps he doesn't have to engage himself to the same extent as you to enjoy a novel. Perhaps he is better at focussing on the novel and blocking other thoughts etc out. I know that if I read two books at the same time I tend to get the two plots mixed up - I'm not as good at seperating events as Aqua seems to be.

And again, without cruising the aisles, you miss a lot of books, only reading what is recommended is fine, but there are soooooooooooooo many others out there!
Which is why I browse. If I see a book that interests me, I come on the internet and do some research before going back to buy it.

This is one reason I did not start the Olympic Challenge. Too binding for me. As soon as I'd choose a non-challenge book it'd be difficult for me to get back into it. I do think the challenge has merit though.

Yeah, I find myself wanting to spend more time with certain countries or writers than I feel I can do and still keep up the pace I've set for myself. I keep reminding myself that nobody is going to put a gold star by my name if I do manage to do them all..that I set the that pace for myself.. the bottom line is, the challenge was meant to spur people to become more widely read, and in that way, I'm feeling successful already.

Tigana. Which was good until the very ending. Skip the last chapter and it's a great Fantasy read.
That was to be my next GGK read. I may take you up on your advice (although probably not - I can't stand not knowing what happens)

That was to be my next GGK read. I may take you up on your advice (although probably not - I can't stand not knowing what happens)

Now I'll have to go re-read the last chapter..I can't remember how it ended and now Ions says its crap..off to the basement, see ya later!

Which is why I browse. If I see a book that interests me, I come on the internet and do some research before going back to buy it.

I wouldn't dare buy a book off the shelf anymore. There's so little that can be told from a synopsis and shitty marketing endorsements on the cover. I have such a tremendous amount of books and authors I know about that I don't need to take chances like that.

From your posts it seemed that you had major problems with his systems. I apologise if thise was not the case.

I suppose, perhaps.

Nothing in his systems suggests that he does anything to the contrary. Perhaps he doesn't have to engage himself to the same extent as you to enjoy a novel.

was that a jab at me? :D

Perhaps he is better at focussing on the novel and blocking other thoughts etc out.

another jab? :D

I know that if I read two books at the same time I tend to get the two plots mixed up - I'm not as good at seperating events as Aqua seems to be.

He's a genius.

exactly, me too. I look at books, sometimes take pictures of the front covers so I don't forget them, the amazon them. Then post threads on them looking for opinions or recommendations on them.

I wouldn't dare buy a book off the shelf anymore. There's so little that can be told from a synopsis and shitty marketing endorsements on the cover. I have such a tremendous amount of books and authors I know about that I don't need to take chances like that.

The cost of new books tends to make us all better consumers, don't you think? I remember when I started buying new books at the local TG&Y(pre-Walmart style dept. store) and how I agonized over whether to splurge on the $1.95 title, or go with the one that was only 75 cents..Hey, I only got $3 per week allowance!

Well that's just it! The book does end then Kay straps on this schmoltzy shit that is inconsistent with the rest of the book with no real purpose. Maybe for the sake of a Happily Ever After. Unnecessary.

exactly, me too. I look at books, sometimes take pictures of the front covers so I don't forget them, the amazon them. Then post threads on them looking for opinions or recommendations on them.

Good except for one detail, search first!! ;) :p

Good except for one detail, search first!! ;) :p

I use amazon to find books to look for at the libary website, so I can request them. That way, I can preview nonfiction/reference books and see if they're worth the money. This has helped a lot, specially with cookbooks and resources for school. With cookbooks, my personal rule of thumb is, if I find myself copying more than 10 recipes( or wanting to), chances are I should buy the book..then I use www.bestwebbuys.com and half.com to find the best deals.

Is it just me, or have we totally hijacked Aqua's thread? I hope he's not mad..

This is bulletin board discussion at its best. Organic, meandering and informative.

Sorry I'm late...Jennifer: I read two books at one time because It's an old habit. I am very used to it. I apologize if you are upset for some reason. It was not my intention. :)

Back