• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Incomplete Reading List

Stewart I visited your MySpace page and discovered your author list. Thanks to that list, as well as ions suggestions, I have filled up more empty slots on my list.

Maybe he's sliced up in gorgeous halves all the way round like his photo.

:D I guess that is the only logical explanation.

Aquablue, I usually read more than one book at a time too. But us geniuses can do things like that;)

Again, I think that you would be in the minority with this opinion. I know that one of the main reasons I visit BAR is to read reviews and get recomendations from other members. That way you can chose books that you want to purchase before going into the shop - it saves time, as well as money wasted on rubbish books. Don't get me wrong, I still love to browse through bookshops, but I hardly ever buy books without reading up on them first. Blurbs can be deceiving ;)

i am totally with you there on this. my quality of reading and the enjoyment of it has gone up drastically since joining BAR. i do go to the book store often, but i know in the back of my mind what i might be looking for. it is so much better to get well thought out and quality reviews here than just deciding to get something because it was on someone's best seller list.

Thanks to this thread I have added the following works to my list:

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
Independent People by Halldor Laxness
Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco
Snow by Orhan Pamuk
Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie
If on a Winter's Night a Traveller by Italo Calvino
The Colony of Unrequited Dreams by Wayne Johnston
Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami
Libra by Don DeLillo
Carry Me Down by M. J. Hyland
The Hours by Michael Cunningham
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
The Tin Drum by Günter Grass
David Copperfield by Charles Dickens

Please keep them coming....

That is a much better looking list.

However, if David Copperfield is your first Dickens I would suggest a shorter book. Great Expectations, Hard Times, A Tales of Two Cities or Oliver Twist.

Do you have a good foundation in the classics AquaBlue? What of Dickens? Tolstoy? Dostoevsky? Hardy? Dumas? Homer? Etc? Since we're making a long list of authors let's throw in Thomas Pynchon, David Foster Wallace, Orhan Pamuk, Salman Rushdie, Don Delillo, Italo Calvino and a personal favourite of mine from Canada, Wayne Johnston.

yay! you consider dumas a classic!

yeah, i know, random me. but the point is debatable.

all I can think to recommend is things [not] to read: i found Wicked rather dull after the first 100 pages, and Charles Dickens not much better either. I loved pride and prejudice, but all her other novels are dull, except maybe northanger abbey. You might like something like Presumption, it's a 'sequel' to pride and prejudice written by someone else.

I have completed the incomplete reading by adding the following novels:

The Last Town on Earth by Thomas Mullen
The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
Smilla's Sense of Snow by Peter Hoeg
L.A. Rex by Will Beall
Lady Chatterley's Lover by D.H. Lawrence
You Must Remember This by Joyce Carol Oates
A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer
The Ruins by by Scott Smith
Motherless Brooklyn by Jonathan Lethem
American Gods by Neil Gaiman
Seven Lies by James Lasdun
The Other Side of the Bridge by Mary Lawson
Ask the Dust by John Fante
Post Office by Charles Bukowski

Good list?

.. I would suggest a shorter book. Great Expectations
I tried to read that book, but I couldn't get past the first few pages. It was just so incredibly dull. I've found that this happens with every Dickens that I try, which is a shame because I do want to complete one of his novels. Do you have any recommendations for a more easy one of his to get through (other than A Christmas Carol :p )?

A Tales of Two Cities or Oliver Twist? I find the prose, tone, characters, plots and message all very interesting. Dickens isn't for everybody. If you find he isn't for you remember to phrase it properly. Dickens isn't dull, you may find him dull but he's not dull.

i keep my list on microsoft works/word. its about 490books now, always adding/deleting. i used to print out the list and cross off the read books, but i always edited it randomly and had to reprint. i haven't done that since the beginning of summer and i'm hoping to create a less temporary list soon. it expresses my OCD perfectly. authors/genres have to be together. some of the genres only make sense to me.

A Tales of Two Cities or Oliver Twist? I find the prose, tone, characters, plots and message all very interesting. Dickens isn't for everybody. If you find he isn't for you remember to phrase it properly. Dickens isn't dull, you may find him dull but he's not dull.

i see what you're saying - but he is DEFINATLY the Steven King of his time. he got paid by the word for crying out, and it shows!! thats what really bothers me while reading Dickens.

No, no, forget them all, fill them all with Guy Gavriel Kays! If you have more than 9 slots, then by golly read them again!

Oh wait, I see that more than one person has already mentioned him. Hrmph...

Aqua, Neal Stephenson is not a bad choice, but balance that out with a good fantasy book. Someone like Kay, or Le Guin.

Since ions has mentioned it, I want to say that the ending for Tigana is not inconsistent, it's closure. Full circle. If you disagree with me, uhm, I challenge you to a duel!

Seriously, for those who haven't yet read Tigana, read it, and decide for yourself.

MC, I'm so glad you've completed Lions. Can't wait to hear what you think about it. Btw, I'm assuming you got the newer edition of the book where there was an epilogue. Older editions of the book, I'm told, is missing that bit, and you know what was revealed there.

ds

Dude, you're planning this way, way too much.
It's a marketing strategy. I'm training to be a salesman.

Though I do think I should hop onto another author.

I won't buckle under the pressure and recommend someone from the contemporary 'literature' scene, though. Although David Mitchell is pretty damn good.

ds

Hm. Well, you do have a couple of Lee Child books on your list that you've read... I personally really like his writing and his main character. Although, I try to stay away from the ones in first person.. but I noticed you hadn't read "Running Blind" by Lee Child and IMO, it was his best.

Back