• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Initiation

third man girl

I tiptoed into Bryan’s room – well, the door was open. He was gazing through the window, talking softly. I listened to him reminiscing, as his voice lilted, low, and then happy.
“Bryan,” I whispered, and he wheeled around.
“Oh!” He reddened. “I was just . . . collecting my thoughts.”
“Collecting your memories?”
He smiled, and stepped closer. “Mmm. Remembering the first time I –”
“Bryan. Will you write it down? Write me a poem?”
He lifted my hand, and his fingernail roved like a pencil on my palm. He glanced up. “For you, I’ll write it down. My first time – my initiation.”

Initiation

Remember the time
In the hot, sweet grass.
Your first fumbled kiss
With that girl from your class.

Remember the half-brick.
Its density, mass.
The launch through the air
And the shattering glass.

Remember the L-plate
You tore with your hands.
The chance to go further
Expand all your plans.

Remember your sister.
Your tight fist; her shame.
The good-looking Spanish boy
His cherry-picking game.

Remember your mother
Her glittering eyes.
Your graduation –
Her hard-earned prize.

Remember the key
To the dingy old flat.
Your mate with the cudgel.
The cockroach. The rat.

Remember your guilt.
And tears the girl cried,
When you held her in bed
And explained how love died.

Remember the hiss
and the sting of the brand.
As his iron kissed your shoulder
And made you a man.

~ Bryan ~

Third Man Girl

Nothing is beyond you, is it.

I've never really taken an interest in poetry, it just never did it for me the way 'normal' prose could, but you, Third Man Girl, changed all that. I'm not saying I'm gonna start hoarding collections of poetry, but I will be opening up my Norton Anthology of the English Literature a bit more often.

Thanks for broadening my horizon.

Cheers, Martin :D

You do write incredible poetry, TMG. I never could get the hang of it, myself. Please continue to share, you are so skilled.

third man girl said:
...Remember the hiss
and the sting of the brand.
As his iron kissed your shoulder
And made you a man.

I loved it sooo! =) Not a single bit of awkwardness spotted, and for that I salute you. ;) The way you turn simple moments into beautiful descriptive poetry is just amazing.

How old are you?

third man girl said:
Old enough to handle you, sonny (Whoops - I think ;) )
<scampering off at speed :D>

Third Man Girl

Maybe you'll tell me if I tell you my age???

I'm 17 :) Now tell me your age!!! And I'm not lying by the way.

And reason for asking? I wanted to compare your writing skills at your age with this friend of mine who's a writer as well =)

Stella Leanna said:
Maybe you'll tell me if I tell you my age???

What is this? Will you show me yours, if I show you mine? :D

Oh yes! I'm old enough to understand that game ;)

The truth? Currently nestled in the head of a twenty-five year old male lawyer from Glasgow, with a bunch of very scary, wonderful friends.

Why do you think I didn't answer in the 'Personality' thread? I mulled over it for an entire day, and couldn't come up with anything :( :( :(

<story to write; stay focussed, girl>

Third Man Girl

Currently nestled in the head of a twenty-five year old male lawyer from Glasgow
Okay, I'm an idiot. Explain that, please. Are you 25? Are you male? Are you from Glasgow? I'm stumped :confused:

I'm with Martin on the confused front, as I'm sure I remember you saying before that you were a scientist. :confused:

Martin said:
Lets be stupid together, shall we?

No. Nobody's stupid. Just me for not explaining myself clearly. :(

Be kind to me. I swoon easily. I am a scientist. Dull, repetitive, tedious job. Female. FEMALE. Female. :)

Currently relieving the boredom by living in the head of ' the lawyer' (see above) who is the character I am writing about just now. Remember Bryan, the Poet? Well, now I'm with Colin, the Lawyer.

I feel faint. Must go.

Third Man Girl

So ...

TMG, you're actually one of those people that refuses to tell their age? Seriously? How vain are you?

Martin said:
How vain are you?

That hurt.

Encarta. Vanity: Futility - the state or fact of being futile, worthless, or empty of significance

I don't like futile or worthless. But I can relate to empty of significance. That's me.

Third Man Girl

Back