• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Insomnia

Mrs Pacino

kickbox
I just can't sleep.

I can nod off on the sofa for a few hours after a drinking session. But I can't just go to bed and go to sleep. (sober or not) It's driving me insane.

I've had sleeping tablets and all kinds of stuff but nothing seems to work. I don't want to end up spending my life sleeping on the sofa.

Any ideas?

Try taking three diphenhyramine, commonly referred to as Benadryl. Guaranteed to knock you out and it is non-habit forming (unless you're taking it a lot).

Try taking three diphenhyramine, commonly referred to as Benadryl. Guaranteed to knock you out and it is non-habit forming (unless you're taking it a lot).

And it's cheap too, if you buy the store brand.Just be sure you can tolerate the stuff. I have a friend whose heart races and her skin crawls if she takes one pill.
As a fellow insomniac, I will have to give this a try. Question: what if one is already taking perscription decongestants/antihistimines?

It is fine. Just don't take benadryl all day long for a week on top of your zyrtec or allegra. Taking it on occasion once a day is fine.

Ok, desperate times and all.. I think I'll stop on the way home from music lessons and give this a whirl.

funny you should post this. I was up last night from 2am till about 5am.

Try something organic or natural for a sleep remedy

try this

Thank you, I've tried pretty much everything and I'm sure it's mainly down to anxiety and stress.

I have to be careful with any kind of medication as I have high blood pressure. Probably also stress related. I'm due to get some meds for that soon (when I can get my car back from the car hospital) so maybe that'll help.

Then it'll be back to work, and more stress....

Some people only need 4 hours sleep a night. If you are not tired then don't go to bed.

Don't nod off during the day and don't drink unless it's just before you want to go to sleep. :D

Here's what I did last night: I took Kava Kava, Melatonin, and a preparation called Sleep-Ease, which is a combination of Passionflower, valerian, chamomile, gamma aminobutyric, P5P, and melatonin. I slept great, only waking up once for a bathroom run. After thinking about it, I was a little leery of the groggyness effect of the benadryl, so I opted to try the herbal remedies this time.

Herbal Nytol. And/or read in bed. Always make me go to sleep - and not because the book is dull either!

Reading in bed is only an option before the hubby turns off the lights..He can't stand having a light on in the room.

I'm a total nice person. I often find myself up late at nights without being able to fall asleep.

Avoid TV and computers. You could try reading on a couch until you get tired, since you can't read in the bedroom that late.

You have trouble falling asleep, or staying asleep?

I find if I have stress, falling asleep can be difficult, as what often happens is what I might call chicken-with-its-head-cut-off-thinking. For some reason I start thinking of something relaxing, and then after a convoluted train of thought, I manage to be thinking of something stressful.

I ban all reviewing of the day's problems, worry about future events, annoying situations, etc., while I'm trying to fall asleep. What I enjoy is choosing one thing to think about, such as existentialism, the nature of thought, a story I want to write, an interesting issue, a really big long division problem (KO first round guarantee), and then I end up sleeping before I know it.

Back