• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Internet addiction

Are you a net addict?

• Total voters

Wabbit

Found this article! It's pretty interesting!

A study was conducted on a group of people regarding internet addiction. The group was asked to go 14 days without net... they just could not! Some of the people were sobbing by the end of it!

The Register

Internet junkies in chilling cold turkey experiment
By Lester Haines
Published Thursday 23rd September 2004 11:10 GMT
If you've ever seen a smack-head handcuffed to a bed gibbering uncontrollably because he can't get a fix, then be afraid, because that's what you'll look like after two weeks of internet-free cold turkey.

That, at least, is according to an "Internet Deprivation Study" carried out by Yahoo! and advertising outfit OMD. Participants in the human experiment were deprived of the web for 14 days, and found themselves quickly succumbing to "withdrawal and feelings of loss, frustration and disconnectedness". The reason for the rapid collapse of their universe is - say the researchers - because "internet users feel confident, secure and empowered. The internet has become, to some, the ultimate symbol of modernity to the point that participants were hobbled without convenient access to routine information like maps and telephone numbers. The pervasive nature of the internet is such that participants often forgot or lost the desire to use 'old fashioned tools' like the phone book, newspapers and telephone-based customer service."

And it gets worse. While this cruel "qualitative" torture was inflicted on just 13 households containing 28 guinea pigs, a broader "quantitative" trawl of 1,000 web addicts found that 48 per cent of respondents could not go without the internet for two weeks. This unwillingness to even contemplate disconnection from the digital world was confirmed by Yahoo! chief sales officer Wenda Harris Millard, who reported: "This study is entirely indicative of the myriad ways that the internet, in just ten short years of mainstream consumer consumption, has irrevocably changed the daily lives of consumers. This is true to the extent that it was incredibly difficult to recruit participants for this study, as people weren't willing to be without the internet for two weeks."

The chilling effects of the cold turkey on those who were willing to risk all in the name of science are recounted thus: "I haven't talked to people I usually talk to and have been tempted to go on instant-messenger because I feel out of the loop," sobbed study participant Kristin S. Penny C was likewise suffering: "I'm starting to miss emailing my friends - I feel out of the loop," she said unloopedly. Worse still was this sobering proof of how a temporary lack of an internet connection could reduce one's life to ruins in days: "We couldn't plan a weekend getaway," confirmed Kim V, presumably from the house in which she had been imprisoned since the web embargo.

Mercifully, those participants who are doubtless still undergoing group therapy as a result of their trauma can take solace from the fact that there is a positive side to the Internet Deprivation Study's findings. Take it away Wenda Harris Millard: "Deep ethnographic research like this enables us to do much more than look at consumer trends, it allows a rare glimpse into the reasons consumers make the choices they do and how they are emotionally impacted. We can then help marketers apply these insights to reach their target audiences."

Terrific. If you'll excuse me, I think I'm going to turn off the computer for two weeks. Now where did I leave that five-pound bag of golden brown? ®

What do you think? No net? No book forum????? Do you think you could go 14 days without the internet? Are you addicted to the net? :)

I had to do six weeks cold turkey (well, almost, I just the internet for my job, but my home PC had died so all personal 'web time was eliminated). Fortunately, this was a few years ago, so it was probably easier then than it would be now.

However, it isn't shopping, Map Quest, or browsing forums like this one that makes internet deprivation so difficult. Through the 'net I've made friends with very dear people from all over the world. I could never afford to talk to them as often as I can through IMs and e-mails on the old-fashioned, over-priced telephone, and snail mail is so-called for the obvious reason. Two weeks without the web is two weeks without Mssrs. Burns, Enema, RaVeN, Oblivion, and a host of others.

Stuck in LA with no one to talk to is not a way to get through life.

Irene Wilde

I don't think I could go without the net!

I voted no by mistake to my own poll. That makes me a very silly wabbit :D

I had to go without the internet for two days this year... I never want to have to do that again. I know I'm addicted, I get at least 4 hours of internet every day, would be longer but I have to go to school...

If I had to go without the internet for that amount of time I'd probably go nuts... I can't live without my forums!

While I am on the net alot, I have quite often gone for days without it. If there were no more net, my life wouldn't change all that dramatically. Granted, I live in a sort of secluded area, and a significant part of my social interaction is due to forums such as this and email, I would not be a blithering idiot at the end of two weeks sans web. Come to think about it, my life would be different in that I would get more housework done, more quilts made, more books read, if I wasn't puttering around on the puter all the time....hmmmm... see ya later.

I voted no. I am not a net addict. I used to be during university. However, now that I am working, my free time is somewhat limited in comparison and I'd rather be using it to do something more worthwhile than just browsing on forums and talking to people who, to be honest, I know little more about than the fact they like books/warhammer/music etc. I have friends, family, shopping, reading etc to fill my time more effectively....

Let's see - get to work, surf web for hour. surf web for 15 mins or so 2-3 times per day. That doesn't count IM's or emails, which are also constant. Go home, surf another hour at least.

Yep, addicted. The worst part is that I cannot STAND to talk on the phone anymore, IM's are such the superior form of communication, I can do 3 things or have 3 conversations at the same time.

I'm not a recluse, btw, I do still enjoy seeing people face to face. Just cannot stand the phone.

Ashlea said:
Let's see - get to work, surf web for hour. surf web for 15 mins or so 2-3 times per day. That doesn't count IM's or emails, which are also constant. Go home, surf another hour at least.

Yep, addicted. The worst part is that I cannot STAND to talk on the phone anymore, IM's are such the superior form of communication, I can do 3 things or have 3 conversations at the same time.

I'm not a recluse, btw, I do still enjoy seeing people face to face. Just cannot stand the phone.

Your day sounds the same as mine, Ashlea. I surf a lot, email constantly. I never liked talking on the phone and always prefer email. I do my banking and regularly make purchases online. That said, I could live without it. I would do almost anything to throw all this crap away, move to a remote, private tropical island and never get on the internet again. Well, that may be going too far. :D But I could live 2 weeks without it no problem.

As soon as I come home from school, or, at weekends, as soon as I wake up, the PC's on and the downloading of whatever I'm BT-ing at present is reinitiated, then whenever I'm working on my PC MSN Messenger is running in the background, and I'll check my 3 favourite fora at least twice a day, plus various webcomics at weekends, browsing online stores, seeing what generally cool stuff I can dredge up out of the darkest recesses of ye interweb, gaming when I have the time, that kind of thing.

I voted yes, though I have gone for over 3 weeks only using the internet to send e-mail to family about once a week, so I wouldn't suffer withdrawal symptoms.

I am total internet addict as well. I can manage without it for 2 weeks just like away for holiday. Funnily enough, when I am on holiday, I do think about interent!! I like surf the net and sometimes email.

Themistocles said:
As soon as I come home from school, or, at weekends, as soon as I wake up, the PC's on and the downloading of whatever I'm BT-ing at present is reinitiated, then whenever I'm working on my PC MSN Messenger is running in the background, and I'll check my 3 favourite fora at least twice a day, plus various webcomics at weekends, browsing online stores, seeing what generally cool stuff I can dredge up out of the darkest recesses of ye interweb, gaming when I have the time, that kind of thing.

I voted yes, though I have gone for over 3 weeks only using the internet to send e-mail to family about once a week, so I wouldn't suffer withdrawal symptoms.

What web comics are you into reading? :)

im dont think im a net adict
even when i usually im online most of the time, i have been without net for some periods, and havent gone bonkers, in such periods i have went to cybercafes once or twice a week for half hour just to check my email accounts and thats it.

Thank you, I am going to check them out :)

I'm a bit fan of Calvin and Hobbes :D I get it sent to my email daily :)

Penny Arcade, PVP, CTRL ALT DEL and VG Cats are gamer's comics and as such unlikely to be appreciated by a non-gamer, you have to be a bit of an otaku as well to get the most out of Megatokyo, Mac Hall's just generally hilarious and Spells and Whistles is one big RPG spoof. I think they're all great though.

Yeah, you are right that I might not like the game related ones that much. although I DO play games and used to play them A LOT. Now I play the odd one that comes along that I like. Either a good first person or an RPG.

Might like the RPG related ones :)

I'd have to say that I'm a net addict. Whenever I'm not near my computer for extended periods of time (more than ten minutes), I start thinking of things and wishing that my computer were near so that I could look them up on the 'net.

I recently went without access to a computer for about a week and didn't notice any withdrawls other than that. The saddest part was that when I returned from vacation, there weren't many e-mails waiting for me. Everyone knew I was going to be away, so they didn't write. :(

Nope, I don't think I am really. I like Jenem's idea about the tropical island. I've had that exact same idea for a while. I'd just pack up and fly off to a gorgeous tropical island with a couple of my best mates and live there as a hippy commune, playing music round campfires and all that stuff. Growing our own food, etc. Yep, that's my dream guys.

Back