• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Internet Explorer or Netscape?

headpodd

I've always used IE but on holiday last week I had access to a PC with Netscape on it - and I actually quite liked it. I was also told it has less security holes than IE.

Since getting home have installed Netscape and am now using it as my default browser.

Which do you prefer and why?

I am genuinely interested by the way and not just spamming. :)

Netscape is a lot slower than IE ( there are lots of unbiased tests you can find to see for yourself :) )

Netscape uses the Geko render engine from Mozilla. The version they use is old and brought by AOL from Mozilla. If you really want to use Netscape then use Mozilla because it's a lot newer and a lot faster :) Mozilla or you can use Fire Fox which is a stripped down version of Mozilla.

Personlly, I don't like either of them :) Yes, they have less security holes than IE but if you keep IE patched, have a good firewall, and anti virus sofware then it's not a problem :)

I find it far to slow, has problems with plug ins ( you will find out :D ), and just plain don't like the interface. Of course, each to their own :)

Personally, I use MyIE2 It's based on the IE engine ( so its fast ) but has a load of extra features. It has tabbed browsing, popup blocker, skins, and most wonderful it has mouse gestures!

If you want an alternative to IE there are LOTS of good browsers out there. I recommend Advent browser. Browsers

i also use firefox. i had been having tons of trouble with my IE and a friend recommended firefox, so off i went to download and install. i love it. i have yet to have ONE popup, and i find it much faster because of that. i dont have to wait for the popups to load first....and of course, much less work to close a window. in fact (for the die hard forum addict) i have it set so that my homepage opens up my three favorite forum windows (in tabs) on the new posts page. voila...everything you could want!

Yeah, but good though Firefox, Thunderbird, Mozilla and Netscape mabye they have problems. They don't render EVERY page on the internet because of the standards they conform to. Also, they have problems with plug ins and with some flash sites. I really don't wanna have to swtich browsers because I can't see a page :)

well that may be for some sites, although i havent come across any yet. and i did have to go and download all the plug ins for firefox when i installed it, but there was a loverly little link right there for me, so it was like "click, click, done". now flash, acrobat, java...it all works like a charm. maybe i havent had it long enough, but seriously, i have had ZERO problems with it. none.

Hmmmmmm, ok :) Maybe they improved it on the plugins or I did not pay attention to that link :D

But for sure it does have problems viewing certain sites. There are a set of standards set by umm some very serious people that probably wear suits regarding HTML, XML coding and so on. Microsoft don't stick to thease standards because they want all the other browsers that DO stick to them not to work with all sites and so continue to have a strangle hold on the market.

OK, it's not THAT many pages that they don't work with but it's irritating when it happens and I have to switch to IE :)

I still have IE, but I have this kind of elaborate theme running along with it, or rather an upgrade, called Avant. It's kind of a browser on its own, but it uses IE as its base browser.

Or, how they put it:
Avant Browser is a standalone application designed to expand services provided by Microsoft Internet Explorer.
I like it for one reason, and one reason only, and that's tabbed browsing - I hate having to work with all those different windows clogging up my Taskbar.

I might check out Firefox in the future - I've heard good things.

Cheers

Oh, and while we're on the subject - can I just uninstall IE from Windows XP, or is it integrated?

Cheers

Oh, and while we're still on the subject (we are, aren't we?), I'm just checking out FireFox, and its complementary e-mail client, Thunderbird, and I couldn't help but notice that Thunderbird has the coolest logo of any e-mail client, ever!

Ever!!

Look!

header.png

Cheers

Yes, advant is a good browser :) The one I use is much the same MyIE2 becausae it uses the IE core with extras

In answer to your questions :D

Oh, and while we're on the subject - can I just uninstall IE from Windows XP, or is it integrated?

NO! Anyway, why would you want to do such a thing? Remember that anti trust case where Microsoft was found guilty of acting as a monopoly? One of the reasons they were changed ( and found guilty ) was that they were shipping IE free with the OS and making it fully intergrated ( non-removable ).

Oh, and while we're still on the subject (we are, aren't we?), I'm just checking out FireFox, and its complementary e-mail client, Thunderbird, and I couldn't help but notice that Thunderbird has the coolest logo of any e-mail client, ever!

Ever!!

YES! :D That is what I was thinking when I saw it. Don't like it as an email client though. Maybe it has improved now though :)

I'm not gonna use Thunderbird, I just liked that logo.

And why would I want to uninstall IE - because if (if) I decide to cross over to FireFox, I'll have no use for IE. I want to keep my machine as clean as possible.

I'll have a look around some XP-sites - there must be a way of getting rid of it.

Cheers

Well, IE is not very big, I think is really no point BUT if you wanna... good luck :) I think there used to be a way around it for 98 ( at least ) but I don't think you can remove it at all with XP. Anyway, not sure, so good luck in your quest!

Well, I'm typing this using FireFox, and I'm not too sure yet. The tabbed browsing is great, of course, but when you click on a link it opens a complete new window. Plus, it's not as fast as I'd like it to be.

I'll give it some time.

Cheers

Screw FireFox - besides the things I mentioned 3 posts ago, I can't get the themes to work.

Goodbye FireFox, and welcome back Avant (and IE).

Cheers

Martin said:
Well, I'm typing this using FireFox, and I'm not too sure yet. The tabbed browsing is great, of course, but when you click on a link it opens a complete new window. Plus, it's not as fast as I'd like it to be.

I'll give it some time.

Cheers

just a hint, if you click on a link that you would like open in a new tab, just click with your roller ball (center mouse button). that opens the page in a new tab, not a new window.

Back