• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Internet Lurrrve.

hopefully you will always remember that person and what they meant to you. i do.

Yes, at this point I can look back at all my past loves fondly, no matter how nasty the break up was. I think I learned something valuable from each of them.

Even the psycho that cut up all my things (including my books) to make a creepy collage and would break in and watch me while I was sleeping. He taught me you can never have too many locks or a big enough dog.

novella said:
Totally Renee. I wouldn't trust anyone. Which is not to say I don't enjoy everyone's company here. I just don't believe what anyone on the Internet posts is necessarily representative of what they are in RL.
This is how I feel - often people develop different personas whilst online - i'm not against this but it can be hard to differentiate between the real person and the act they put on. I'm pretty much the same on the internet as I am in real life.

I used to chat heavily about 7 years ago and had a few people I would have considered friends. I'm not in contact with them now but was for a few years. Personally I don't feel I could have an internet relationship but I have every respect for people that have done and have made it work. Like others have said , you are often drawn together by a common interest (Robbie Williams Sar??!! :eek: ) and get to know each other as friends first.

Kookamoor said:
I've never done the 'online thing', and I don't think I'd ever trust anyone enough for that to change.
I'm the same - I am not happy about giving out too many personal details. When I first joined another forum I set the account up under Phils name - when the site changed and everyone had to re-register I then added my name to the username as I felt I knew them well enough by then. However that is the only forum where I use my real name - all others are Ice (or a variation of it).

well as for this subject, i have had a couple experiences on the past, but will tell you the actual one (besides the other ones are pg13 :eek: )

there is this girl which is a friend of a friend of mine, always though she was pretty and for what i had heard smart too, we were introduced once, and that was it, so after i came to study abroad, this girl starts working on her thesis, being a similar subject to the one i did when i finished my major, so my friend gave her my contact info, and we starting talking over the messenger, and we have become very close friends, last time i went home for vacations, we spend a lot of time together, and i think maybe when i go back for good, there could be something :)

I did a similar thing, actually. It didn't work out, but I knew a fellow for about 8 months - he was in an upper year of my course and helped out with various courses. We didn't really start to 'talk' however until he went overseas for 6 months or so. We emailed each other with ridiculous frequency for most of that time, and I think we both knew where it was heading. When he came back we ended up dating for a while. It didn't work out, and we broke up far later than we should have, but nevertheless, I guess it's a successful story. I don't think it's 'Internet Lurrve', though. Not if you know the person first!!

By the way, mr michel, this forum is only for people over 13 years old, so I'd rather like to hear your PG13 stories!!

Kookamoor said:
I don't think it's 'Internet Lurrve', though. Not if you know the person first!!

By the way, mr michel, this forum is only for people over 13 years old, so I'd rather like to hear your PG13 stories!!

i think it is, without the internet, we would still be some ramdomly familiar face on the street to each other :)

well there was this time, when i was exploring the dark corners of the net, and yada yada yada, the blonde one really hates me :eek: hey but at least now i can understand portuguese :)

Sar said:
I met my husband via the internet, there was a chat room I used to frequently go to & he'd turn up mainly to try & wind people up & insult them. I found it funny how his sarcasm mainly flew over the top of most people's heads. Admittedly, it was a Robbie Williams chatroom, so it's not all that difficult to outwit some of the people there lol.

Oh ... Dear ... God.

Robbie Williams ...

Would you excuse me people, I'm just off to another forum to incessantly take the piss out of someone ;)

Thank you Sar, you just made my day :D

rhh3713 said:
he never said he had his girlfriend for 5 years so how did you find out that he had her for 5 years?

Yes, but he has on numerous other sources, and we trust him because his avatar is green and he is Dutch.

Phil

phil_t said:
Would you excuse me people, I'm just off to another forum to incessantly take the piss out of someone ;)
:D

rhh3713 said:
he never said he had his girlfriend for 5 years so how did you find out that he had her for 5 years?
Martin has stated this fact before - just not on this thread :)

cajunmama said:
The same kind of person who would string someone along on the internet is the same kind of person who would do it in person. It is just easier to lie in this form of communication and revealing your true personality in the form of communication is more difficult.

Sure you can string a person along face to face but you are limited in the ways you can deceive them.

A 17 yr old boy can't pretend to be in his 30's except online.
A female can't pretend to be a male except online.
You can't disguise your weight or physical appearance except for online.
It's easier to lie online than it is off and your lies are only limited by your imagination, and not at all subject to visual scrutiny.

Call me a cynic but there is no means of knowing whether anyone online is presenting anything of the truth to you at any time.

Then there's kind of the opposite problem. A friend of mine doesn't easily fit gender roles. Or, as she puts it, she's a butch trapped in a fem body. When she's online, some guy inevitably says something like, "You know what? I think you're a man. You're just so out there about things." So even when she's being herself, it doesn't always work out.

I wouldn't have called it a "relationship" of any style AT THE TIME, but I did fall hard for a guy on the internet once. I never thought that I could do such a thing just by talking to someone and seeing a picture...but boy I sure did!! I never realized how I felt about him until he broke off contact with me because he had found a RL girlfriend...then it hit me that I had been like obsessed with this guy on the internet. Not knocking internet dating, just kind of surprised myself that I could find myself so attached to someone I didn't even know. He sent me an email a few months ago though, the girl he cut off contact with me for ditched him ... and he wanted to pick up contact again ... I was like, you ditched me for her and now you're coming back, no thanks...besides I have a RL boyfriend now too.

I have a crush on a guy from Canada, his my friend for over two years. I have talked about him before on here I'm sure. I have met him and me and him are finally commiting, kind of, seeing where it will go together, even being a distance it is hard, but we both love each other the same and trying to work on a compermise together or commitment together... I hope it works out with us :eek:

I wouldn't call it love, but I had a HUGE crush on this guy (I'll call him Ed - NOT his real name) who is now one of my best friends. I guess I'll go ahead and tell a shortened version of the story...

I was needing help on an ezboard message board, having never posted on one of those boards before (they confuse the heck out of me). Anyway, he helped me through PM through another board (not the ezboard, because you only get 5 PM's a day there), and I told him thanks after he helped, figuring that would be the end of it, but then he PMed me back, striking up a conversation. And we've been friends ever since. The crush didn't come to be until about May/June of last year (we met in January of last year). The only picture I ever saw of him was one of him when he was in the army, at about age 23. I had no idea what he looked like aside from that. Well, I never told anyone about the crush, because of his age (which I didn't find out till quite a bit later). I figured it would soon pass, which it did.

But we talked every night through PM until probably around this time last year. He met someone (also online), and at the time, I was a tad bit jealous. I had even talked to her (I'll call her Megan) once, and didn't really care for her. She seemed a little weird, and we didn't get along all that well. But fastforward to September, she caught me right before I got offline, and we had a heart to heart. She confronted me about Ed and I having a thing going on. I had to laugh. I told her no, but confessed about my crush. Good thing she understood. But she told me they were going to meet to see where their relationship might go, and that conversation between her and I cemented our friendship. And having known Ed for as long as I did, I was actually happy for him. And the crush faded after the heart to heart.

I actually got to meet Ed back in May. And I gotta say... had there been a chance that we'd become friends not through the internet, I don't think I would've been open to that. But having gotten to know him without having known what he looked like, it really opened my eyes to getting to know a person despite what they look like (NOT a diss on Ed, because he's like a big brother to me. I don't care what he looks like. It's his personality I love.).

My parents aren't too happy that I have a friend who's their age, but I'm glad because of all that this friendship has taught me (I was going through my parents' almost divorce at the time, and he helped out A LOT), and how I'll look at people before judging them, from now on.

Hope that's not too long, lol.

I just came across a friend that I've not seen in years and she looked really good, totally different from the last time I'd seen her. In catching up she told me that she had left her husband for someone she met on the net and they now lived together and are very, very happy. She did seem like a very happy and completely new person from the gal I knew and it renewed my curiousity about net relationships.

When I first read and posted in this thread I was still fairly new to forums and the net, now I have met many people some even in real life and I have regular chats with others, I've exchanged gifts and calls, but I am still often shocked by friends that have met, fell in love and changed so much on the net.

I am a member on a dance forum, too. This guy started PM'ing me, asking me a few dance questions...I added him on msn and we talked for a few weeks. We found out that we are both Jewish, only he was much much more religious. (religious that he isnt allowed to touch the opposite sex until marriage...at all). And thats totally not me. And also, he lived in Canada and I'm in Australia. So he got really weird and obsessive so I stopped emailing him and blocked him on MSN. This was like 2 years ago. I still get emails from him, once every 2 months, asking how i am and begging for me to write back. Lol. Weird guy, actually.
He sent me a file of him singing once (backstreet boys). It was hilariously bad. I played it like 100 times and laughed so hard every time.
Good times.
Lani

I have a funny story about Internet chats and what happens in them...

It was late at night, probably around 4:00 a.m. I was at my cousin's house for the weekend while my parents went away to Arkansas. (I really did not want to go!) Both my cousin and her boyfriend had fallen asleep, but before her boyfriend, Nathan, fell asleep, he gave me his screen name and password to yahoo games. (He was drunk, I couldn't help but take advantage. I didn't have an account yet, so I just used his. No harm done.)

Anyway, I went into the back room and logged on into yahoo. I started playing Literati. For those of you who don't know, Literati is a scrabble-type game on yahoo games that you can play and chat on. I had to pretend I was him because if I didn't, I would have been found out and accused of identity theft of something like that. I was young, I didn't understand all that stuff!

I had played about twenty games of Literati against various people including a very disgusting and disturbing player whose screen name was suckmycockallnight. He would use words that I never thought would be allowed. It got later, and soon only one person was still online. She asked me to play against her. I did.

She was really nice, and we started to chat. She asked who I was. I answered everything as if I were my cousin. "17, male..." We played until about 4:30 a.m. when I had to wake my cousin to go and get ready for work at McDonald's. I told her I needed to quit for a second to wake her. She thought I was sweet, staying up all night just to wake up my 'girlfriend'. After I did, she started to hit on me, not realizing that I was only twelve.:D She gave me her phone number, address, and a bunch of personal information. (I wonder if she was high? :rolleyes: ) She lived close by, like in the next town, and wanted me to come over right then.

I did. (No I'm kidding. I really didn't. Got to keep you all paying attention!) After that I told her that I was Nathan's cousin and was only twelve. She freaked out! She blocked my cousin's screen name and left our game as it was.

That day, I learned that there are weird people in this world, and that they don't alway realize what they are doing.

Hope you liked my story. I've told that to many people and they always laugh at that lady. Sorry for the length, but I never said it would be short. :D

Back