• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Internet Lurrrve.

You can also meet creepy weirdos in "real life". There was one in the supermarket tonight.

Thanks for the link. I wonder if we can revive the thread?

You can also meet creepy weirdos in "real life". There was one in the supermarket tonight.

Yes but you spotted him right off, didn't you? Because we have all kinds of ways of sizing a person up, from their appearance, expression, behaviour, body language, and just a whole range of clues, most of which are missing on the net.

Is the photo they sent really them?

Are they really who they claim to be right from the start - their name? Gender? Age? You just can't tell.

Although in today's technological world, you can check them out on Facebook, unless they're really clever and create a fake profile etc.

Ok so this is going to be sarcastic ... Wow REALLY? there are fake ID's on social media? Now that is a shocker!

Yes but there is an endearing optimism and hope in the basic honesty of people you meet on the internet in your replies. Long may it last.

Well, I happen to have met my current bloke there. I also don't think generalising everyone on dating sites as suspicious is correct. After al we're on here...oh, wait

I think it depends on the dating site. I believe that if you have to pay for the service, the members tend to be more "genuine" or "real".

"Internet" and "dating site" aren't exactly the same thing even if one is only found on the other.

The odds of success are minuscule with the number of failures far far outweighing the very few successes, to the point that I tend to warn people against it.

My best dating advice - turn off the computer, get out, join a club, or some thing where social events happen, and learn to smile and say "hello".

Never internet dated, old school and as I'm married I'll never will but I know a few who do, just the modern way I suppose. No horror stories either although I am suspicious that at least one relationship got off the ground on some quite old holiday pics if you know what I'm saying...

Yeah I have a few horror stories from assorted acquaintances - enough to know that dating some one you don't know except from online is a horrifically bad idea.

Even friendship is a bit hit and miss - people tend to misrepresent themselves online, it is a 'safe' anonymous environment where you can be whatever you want to be (or wish you were). Online you can't see the person, can't hear how they speak, can't truly KNOW them, even if they aren't doing what 99% of the universe does in terms of hiding who they are online. (I include myself in this).

If however you are fully cognizant of this and meet in real life knowing that the person is more than likely going to be considerably different from their online persona and then build a relationship from that point, it can work.

I met a girl online and we grew very close. Several months later she informed me that the last name she had given me was not hers. She had feared the horror stories that accompany meeting people online. She had however already become my best friend. We have been married going on four years now and my best friend sits by my side as I write this post. I am thankful that we put our fears aside and allowed ourselves to get to know one another.

My advice: Spend a lot of time talking before you share ANY information that could be dangerous. That said, you can actually become much closer to someone without the 'dating activities' interfering with the 'getting to know you' process.

There are a few successes, but as I saod, before they are so far and few that the odds against are astronomical. I still say get out from behind the safety of the computer and meet face-to-face, you'll have to do it sooner or later regardless if an online relationship is going to go anywhere.

That is very true. My wife and I quickly graduated to phone calls and it was not long after that we had traded every picture in our albums. But still, we had to take the plunge and meet. She was 300 miles away and after a 500 mile greyhound ride we finally met. I spent the whole trip hoping that she would actually be there waiting. It is not for everyone and I am aware how fortunate we were but I had never gotten to know anyone that I had dated that well. Some things, I suppose, are simply in the hands of the man upstairs.

There are a few successes, but as I saod, before they are so far and few that the odds against are astronomical. I still say get out from behind the safety of the computer and meet face-to-face, you'll have to do it sooner or later regardless if an online relationship is going to go anywhere.

Just another means of meeting people, got it's advantages as well as disadvantages. Face to face can sometimes mean in your face.

Back