• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Ira Levin

Kaz

Been to cinema to see 'The Stepford Wives' today. I really enjoyed this film. Anybody read his book? I may buy one of his book to read. I never read his so what do you recommended?

i have read only the boys from brazil, and rosemary's baby
i did enjoy reading the boys from brazil, but the rosemary's baby, was pretty dissapointing (its souposed to be a scary book, but i found myself lol at the ending :p ), even when i havent see the movie which its supoused to be pretty good.

I couldn't stand the 2004 Stepford Wives. I thought it was a huge disappointment. I'm such a horror fan and they turned something strange/disturbing into a comedy! I loved the older movie much more.
Oh! But I'm glad you enjoyed it though! I mean, if I had never read the book or seen the older flick, I would've appreciated it much more. It made me laugh ;)

I realize that this is an old post and things must have changed since then... But I hope you read the book, I particularly enjoyed both Stepford Wives and Rosemary's Baby... Personally, it made me feel paranoid and untrusting of men. :p ha ha!

I really like Levin's endings.

Here's a quote from an amazon.com review:

"This Perfect Day" is one of my all time favorite science fiction stories -- it's a shame it seems to be out of print.

The book is about a world where everyone is genetically engineered to be as similar as possible, the "global village" has been realized in its entirety, and the world is run by computer. People get "treatments" regularly (injected medications) designed to even their moods and make them conform to societal norms.

In a world where we drug our kids for "ADHD" and political correctness and sameness are celebrated, this story remains very prophetic indeed.

Levin doesn't make a single misstep here. It's utterly terrifying, because this is the way the world is headed. If you can find the book, please get it and read it."

From another site:

Ira Levin

This Perfect Day - 1966

Most of Levin's other works are primarily acts of great story- telling, avoiding any great pronouncements about the basic state of the human race in general. But his novel, This Perfect Day, is a radical departure. It has often been compared with Aldous Huxley's Brave New World, and George Orwell's 1984...

This is sad in several ways.

1.) We lost a talented suspense/horror writer

2.) His writing career ended with the dreadful Son of Rosemary.

RIP Mr. Levin.

:eek: Lenny! You should have called me and told me this personally! This is how I have to hear about it? I feel so sad... :(

Back