• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Is Monk the modern day Columbo?

sparkchaser

Administrator and Stuntman
Staff member
Lt. Columbo was a quirky detective in Los Angeles.

Monk is a quirky detective in San Francisco.

No poll because the answer is obvious.

I love the theme song for Monk.
It's a jungle out there.... :D

But I loved the guest stars Columbo had, all the "big" names of the decade and previous decades.
Do you remember the series that Gene Barry had? He played a millionaire Police Commissioner. He was terrific. :)

I prefer Columbo to Monk. I only have to pay attention to the first five minutes. Also Psych. In Psych the killer is always the person with the briefest introduction. Plus they did that excellent cover of Shout.

I used to watch Columbo on A&E when i was in college. I hated the show but I always watched it just to see how he would get the murderer to confess. Another show I would watch was Banacek. All of the everyday items we take for granted today (LED watches, answering machines, car phones) were real novelties back then and it's funny to see how people oooh'd and aaah'd over them and sometimes an entire episode would revolve around some new gadget. Like the red LED watch.

Monk - TV show

To me, Monk is my absolute favorite show. If you havent seen it, Its about a detective whose wife had died in a car bomb 4 years ago, and ever sense, Monk has gone crazy... not exactly. He solves murders, with his nurse Sharona. He has a HUGE list of phobias example: 1)if you shake his hand, he needs a hand wipe 2) He cant stand odd numbers, so he cant wake up at 7:53, he would have to wake up at 8:00. I could go on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on...... but the shows are hilarious. My mother wouldnt watch TV until she saw these shows. Another thing i like about the show is that you see the murder first, and then you see him (monk) solving the case. There are 5 or 6 seasons.

I totaly recomend it if you like comedy and murder mystery!!!

Harrypotterrox :)

Monk and Psych are my absolute favorite shows!!! Actually, i just watched two Monk shows today, and one yesterday! I could not live without it. Ive never seen Columbo though.

I love Columbo! I've seen a lot of the episodes but am missing some seasons. I need to hit the library to borrow those DVDs!

Det. Robert Goren (played by Vincent D'Onofrio) of Law & Order: Criminal Intent is supposedly based on Columbo, but very loosely. The only difference is that in Goren's case, people don't underestimate him, while Columbo...well...you know...they think he's an idiot.

I never picked up on the Goren-Columbo connection. I am going to have to pay closer attention now.

Yes! It's true Bobby Goren does have a sort of Columboesque way about him, but really his leaps of connection are fascinating to watch. Plus of course his angst is lagniappe. :D
Very un-Columboesque. lol

I have seen only a few episodes of the first season of Monk. Though I like the show and the Monk character, I find it hard to believe that Monk could exhibit all those quirky obsessive-compulsive mannerisms simply because of his wife's death. I'm no expert on this stuff, so I'm sure I'm wrong about this, but someone of Monk's age SUDDENLY developing all these attributes that he never exhibited before? I can't get past this.

I have seen only a few episodes of the first season of Monk. Though I like the show and the Monk character, I find it hard to believe that Monk could exhibit all those quirky obsessive-compulsive mannerisms simply because of his wife's death. I'm no expert on this stuff, so I'm sure I'm wrong about this, but someone of Monk's age SUDDENLY developing all these attributes that he never exhibited before? I can't get past this.
It wasn't all of a sudden SeoulMan, Monk had been like that from childhood. To him that is part of the reason his wife was so important to him, she accepted him as he was and loved him anyhow.
Plus his wife [Trudy] was murdered and it is unsolved, he doesn't even know why she was in the place she was killed at the time. So it is unresolved on several levels.

Oh, okay, I guess I must've missed those episodes where they talked about that. Well, no more hurdle to overcome! I'm ready to tackle Monk head on!

Back