• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Is Motokid playing ‘devils advocate’ with the forum or he is an ‘agent provocateur’

M

moonshot

This is my last post. I am leaving the forum. (who cares, ok I`ve said it first). Rather than go un-noticed I thought I would leave a parting thread. The reason….it’s the don`t discuss religion rule. I`d like to put it into room 101. There is nothing wrong with the rule as such if every one stuck to it. But quite a few threads have been started that are so obviously there to provoke a religious comment or feedback and break the rule. To make the forum balanced, if religion in a discussion is a no no then any thread with obvious religious overtones should be stopped from the start.
Examples of this are; the Anne Rice thread more popular than Jesus Christ, 16 children, Intelligent Design.
The instigator of most of this type thread, from what I have read, is a member called Motokid.
So my parting question to the forum is….

Is Motokid playing ‘devils advocate’ with the forum or he is an ‘agent provocateur’?

(With an average of 10.8 posts a day to the forum, it would be nice to see Motokid refrain from posting on this thread.)

moonshot has left the building….

Moonshot!

You where the one to keep brining up religion and politics!

Its sad you feel you have to leave because at the end of the day you had issues over the two rules that Darren put in to place.

th_popcorn.gif

Popcorn anyone?

Personally, I've loved the threads he's started as of late in general discussion-the veterans day one was pretty cool and thoughtful on his part.

I freely admit that I'm confused about what is and is not allowed here. Maybe that's just me being an American. In the U.S. at least, "no politics" means don't bring up topics like abortion and gun control, period. But since those aren't really hot-button issues in the U.K., they aren't considered overtly "political" and are allowed on this site—is that it?

I would just like to draw you attention to the following section of the MA:

3.9 Political and religious discussions are not allowed, except in the context of how they apply to specific books.

Thus the Anne Rice thread is perfectly valid.

Minniemal said:
I freely admit that I'm confused about what is and is not allowed here. Maybe that's just me being an American. In the U.S. at least, "no politics" means don't bring up topics like abortion and gun control, period. But since those aren't really hot-button issues in the U.K., they aren't considered overtly "political" and are allowed on this site—is that it?

You do raise an excellent concern, not quite certain how to settle that one as I've had opinions both ways. If you are too necessitarian with the rules, then the board becomes stifled. If you go too much the other way, then the easily offended leave(though wouldn't they anyways?) You got me on that one.:confused: :confused:

moonshot said:
Rather than go un-noticed I thought I would leave a parting thread.

Ah yes, the last refuge of the scoundrel. Oh but I forgot, you won't be reading this, because you've 'gone'! :rolleyes:

Didn't like the movie "Devil's Advocate". Some of Pacino's worst. As for "Agent Provocateur", I have always been a fan of Foreigner, so I enjoy the album.

:D

Been a member of many forums, and I am even a moderator/co-founder of one. People like this are only trying to get attention. And what's the big deal anyway. It's a forum. As much as I like good discussions on-line, in the big picture it doesn't mean a whole lot. I don't understand why people can't use their choice to ignore topics they don't want to discuss, or members that they don't agree with.

By the way, can you pass some of that popcorn over here?

This might sound a little harsh, but I'm going to say it anyway - if discussing politics and religion is so important to you, why join a forum where they are banned and then whine about it? Didn't you read the Members' Agreement when you joined?

This forum is primarily for book discussion. Why not discuss books here and then go over to your local friendly politics or religion discussion forum to talk about those topics?

I think some people just have a problem with following rules. If you join, for example, the local golf club, you follow their rules or you get kicked out. It's as simple as that. Darren decided that he did not want politics and religion to be discussed here, except (as Ice pointed out) in the context of how they apply to specific books. We have had a thread on The Bible. We have one on Celtic Christianity. Discussion of such books is not censored here.

Moto has started some interesting discussion topics (although he is still an annoying pain in the ass! :p ). A lot of topics (not just his) can easily veer onto religious or political ground. TBF members are generally very sensible and aware of what can/not be posted. As you might have noticed, we sometimes edit certain posts or temporarily close a thread while we discuss whether it should be allowed to continue. To me, there is a difference between starting a topic which sometimes dips its toe into politics or religion, and posting a thread entitled (for example) "The * faith is a load of nonsense - discuss".

We are very aware that we are not going to please all of the people all of the time. We will invariably get people disagreeing with our decisions, but we just do our best to moderate according to the rules, which, let's face it, can generally be summed up as: don't start topics discussing politics or religion, don't spam, and be nice to each other.

I voted Heresy.

And Motokid, how dare you create threads that intrigue discussion... oh, wait... this is a forum...

Halo said:
We are very aware that we are not going to please all of the people all of the time. We will invariably get people disagreeing with our decisions, but we just do our best to moderate according to the rules, which, let's face it, can generally be summed up as: don't start topics discussing politics or religion, don't spam, and be nice to each other.
Amen!! Wouldn't it be a great world if people tried to be nice to each other.:)

This forum is primarily for book discussion. Why not discuss books here and then go over to your local friendly politics or religion discussion forum to talk about those topics?

And allow me to recommmend:

America's Debate This is a great website, even you Euros will love it as there is an "international politics" part. Very civil, heavily modded, and excellent, intelligent discussions.

Whistle StopperAnother great forum

Civilized DebateA great site if you are on the right wing of the spectrum or love to argue with people on the right wing.

My own little corner on the net Brand new and few people, but slick!.;)

Stewart said:
How often will you be back to check the thread?
Shade said:
Oh but I forgot, you won't be reading this, because you've 'gone'!
moonshot said he was leaving the forum; that this was his last post. He didn't say he wouldn't check the replies.

Back