• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Isabel Allende

Isabel Allende has been one of my favorite writers ever since I read The House of the Spirits when I was 13. It was very hard for me to admit that I wasn't at all impressed by either City of the Beasts or Kingdom of the Golden Dragon. In fact, I hated those books. So it was with great relief that I read My Invented Country and "rediscovered" the writer that had captured my imagination for so many years. One of her most beautiful books is Paula, a memoir that she wrote while her daughter (Paula) was in a coma. She meant for Paula to read it upon waking up so she wouldn't feel so lost. I have read all of her books (except for Forest of the Pygmies, which I will not read, and Zorro, which I'm hoping to get for my birthday), some of them several times but The House of the Spirits is still my favorite, followed by The Stories of Eva Luna and Of Love and Shadows.

The Winter Olympic ceremony kicked off last night with all the athletes marching in plus the raising of the Olympic flag and the lightning of the torch. Guess who was one of the 8 women that carried in the Olympic flag. None other than Isabel Allende. ;)

muggle said:
The Winter Olympic ceremony kicked off last night with all the athletes marching in plus the raising of the Olympic flag and the lightning of the torch. Guess who was one of the 8 women that carried in the Olympic flag. None other than Isabel Allende. ;)

That's amazing! I'm glad she was so honored.

For fans of Chilean author Isabel Allende, there's a lengthy interview with her in the latest edition of Three Monkeys Online magazine.

Allende talks about inspiration, memory, and her latest book Zorro - history's "first superhero", according to Allende.

“Writing is always autobiographical,” she says. “Why does one choose a subject or some characters if not to explore something pertaining one´s own life or personality? Of course I am in my books, sometimes in disguise and sometimes openly.”

She also talks, somewhat controversially, about the war on terror, and fundamentalism.

Isabel Allende interview

Isabel is very truthful and outspoken. She speaks her mind and I like that. I tend to agree with her position on the causes of terrorism and the lack of progress with out current war on terrorism.

Strangley, the three books of hers that I have read and LOVED are hated by a few on here. I personally thought City of the Beasts, Kingdom of the Golden Dragon, and Forest of the Pygmies were all excellent. I have read each of them numerous times.

I have Daughter of Fortune but I have not started to read it yet, but I do know that she is a very interesting writer.:)

My daughter and I saw Allende having lunch at a local restaurant, and she saw me see her. The expression on her face clearly said, "Please. I'm here trying to spend time with my family" so I made haste to unsee her.

I especially enjoyed Daughter of Time because of its historical San Francisco setting, but I have read all of her books. The Zorro one may have been my least favorite.

Y'know, I think I read Daughter of Fortune in my early-mid teens (probably because Oprah told me too) I think I might have to give it a second look.

After reading through this thread I am extremely interested in picking up one of Allende's works and giving it a try. Any recommendations for books that would make a good first read?

I´ve just joined the forum and considering that Isabel Allende is one of my favorite authors I was glad to see that a thread about her already existed!!! I read the posts and I was wondering if anyone had read any more of her books in the year that has passed since last post.

I've read several of her books: The House of the Spirits, Of Love and Shadows, Eva Luna and The Stories of Eva Luna. I also have several waiting their turn in the shelf and I'm planing to read The Infinite Plan next.

Paula

You might enjoy Paula. It is not a novel, but a memoir about Allende's life in Chile and Venezuela. It is addressed to her daughter Paula, who lay in a coma at the time and later died. The book is an interesting accompaniment to The House of the Spirits.

Allende also wrote some books set in California: Daughter of Fortune and Portrait in Sepia. Less magic and more realism, plus some improbable (at times) plots, but very good reads just the same.

Ups... my bad!
I also have read Paula, but forgot to mention it. I loved it because I got to know the author better and like it has been said in previous posts her life story has been very interesting, and she reveals it in this book.

I am nearing the end of Zorro. So far I must admit that I've been liking it a great deal. Now I need to read more of Allende's books.

Back