1. Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

J.D. Salinger

Discussion in 'Author Discussion' started by tommm, Mar 6, 2004.

1. tommm

tommm New Member

There was a big thread about "catcher in the rye" not long ago but i was wondering if anyone has read any of salinger's other books and what do you think of them?

2. pertolote23

pertolote23 New Member

Currently Reading:
    Letters to a Young Poet/ Rainer Maria Rilke, The Red Wheel August 1914/ Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
    I have read, to the best of my knowledge, all of his other works. Long ago, when I was a freshman in high school, I wrote a research paper on him. I wanted to write the paper on him cause I knew my mother would have to take me to the downtown library to read all his short stories published in magazines as well. They are great works... in my opinion. Nine Stories would be my first pick after The Catcher in the Rye.

Have you read any of his other publications? Are you thinking about it? If you have what did you think... what did you think of Catcher?
    a

3. Shade

Shade New Member

Currently Reading:
    Miss Herbert, Adam Thirlwell
    The dialogue in A Perfect Day for Bananafish (the first story in Nine Stories, which is published in the UK as For Esmé - With Love and Squalor, and other stories) is just perfect, and Salinger is a master at italicising stresses in speech which imparts the meaning brilliantly.

I too have read all his other stuff, though that's not saying much, as it consists of Catcher, Franny & Zooey, and Raise High the Roof Beams, Carpenters!/Seymour: An Introduction, three slim volumes. I think it helps to develop an attachment to his stuff at a youngish reading age, say late teens or early 20s. I'm not sure how his stuff would stand up if reading it for the first time later in life.

Of course what we really want to know is whether Salinger has been writing for the last 40 years - and if so, whether there will be some major publication of his work after his death.

4. Puddleglum

Puddleglum New Member

Currently Reading:
    The Golden Barge by Micheal Moorcock
    I've read Franny and Zooey which considering it's just two conversations is a fantastic book. Really enjoyed it. Nine Stories is on my bedside table at the moment. I've read the first three so far. A certain boy wizard interupted my reading.

5. Love4OneAnother

Love4OneAnother kickbox

Currently Reading:
    A Happy Death - Albert Camus
    Franny and Zooey and Nine Stories so far, Raise the Roofbeams + Seymour: An Introduction aren't available at the bookstore by me and so I have to wait. :p Both were very good, I agree with what Shade said about italics and how that enhanced the diologue. I like Salinger a lot. :)

6. blurricus

blurricus New Member

Currently Reading:
    Trainspotting - Irvine Welsh
    Salinger

A lot of people on here weren't very satisfied with Catcher in the Rye. Just out of curiousity, have you read any of his other works? If so, what did you think? If not, were there elements of Catcher that you did enjoy?

7. steffee

steffee Active Member

Currently Reading:
    Nothing To Envy: Ordinary Lives In North Korea
    I didn't find Catcher all that special. I didn't hate it, really, I just think it's over-rated. I thought some of it was good, well the whole story was good really, just not written in a way that made me identify with all the millions of readers who loved it. I liked the beginning, and the end, and the descriptions of him in the school, talking to the other boys, and when he went to see his ex-teacher.

I haven't read any others of Salingers, and don't think I would to be honest, though we never know. I'm not ruling him out.

8. angerball

angerball Active Member

Currently Reading:
    The Famous Five series - Enid Blyton
    I haven't read any other books by JD Salinger; I only read Catcher in the Rye due to all the supposed controversy surrounding the book. I didn't think it was a bad read or anything, just not as interesting as I'd been expecting. I thought it would be a really violent shocking read or something, so when I finally finished it, my main reaction was, "Huh...?". :rolleyes:

9. blurricus

blurricus New Member

Currently Reading:
    Trainspotting - Irvine Welsh
    Angerbal and Steffee:

You simply found the book to be overrated? It didn't live up to your expectations?

10. angerball

angerball Active Member

Currently Reading:
    The Famous Five series - Enid Blyton
    Yes, I found it over-rated. I wouldn't say I didn't like it, or I thought it was a lousy read; it's just that I expected alot more.

11. WoundedThorns

WoundedThorns New Member

Currently Reading:
    Frank McCourt's "Angela's Ashes"
    i suppose his other books are on my "to read" list, but i never get around to it

12. noestoysegura

noestoysegura New Member

yea, i'm not gonna lie. i felt the same way after reading Catcher in the Rye. I found that I perferred Nine Stories and Franny and Zooey most deffinitely. I dunno, I just had higher expectations for a book that was supposed to be so controversial.

13. lenny nero

lenny nero New Member

Currently Reading:
    'Watch You Bleed' by Stephen Davis
    Rest In Peace

Rest in Peace

14. sparkchaser

sparkchaser Administrator and Stuntman Staff Member

Currently Reading:
    between the lines
    Admin Post
    RIP J.D. Salinger

Regarding Catcher in the Rye, a poster on another forum summed it up eloquently I think:

15. dude

dude Member

Currently Reading:
    Off Season - Jack Ketchum
  16. giraffe

giraffe New Member

Currently Reading:
    Survey of Herpetofauna of North American Deserts
  17. beer good

beer good Well-Known Member

Currently Reading:
    "NW", Smith
    Inevitably, The Onion weighs in.

18. sparkchaser

sparkchaser Administrator and Stuntman Staff Member

Currently Reading:
    between the lines
    Admin Post
    I love The Onion.

19. giraffe

giraffe New Member

Currently Reading:
    Survey of Herpetofauna of North American Deserts
    I want to say they ran that story years before his death.
    They'll do that.
    The Onion, that is.
    When you get a good idea for a celebrity obituary, you can't wait around for the person to die.

20. booktags

booktags New Member

I read catcher in the rye when I was over 40...and so I wasn't impressed. It was a terrible book. Maybe it was my age, but I just didn't get it.