• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

J.K. Rowling

She's already said that she intends to write adult stuff after the brat is killed off; most likely under a pseudonym.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/books/07/18/britain.j.k.rowling.ap/index.html

Rowling: 'I am dreading' ending Potter

Since Rowling first introduced Harry and his fellow students at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry to the world in 1997, the books have become a global phenomenon, selling 270 million copies in 62 languages and inspiring a series of movies.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8607481/

Sixth Potter book a hit with critics, too
‘Half-Blood Prince’ compared to ‘Lord of the Rings,’ ‘Charlotte's Web’

The New York Times compared it favorably to "The Lord of the Rings," and the Los Angeles Times to "Charlotte's Web." The AP's Deepti Hajela called it a "powerful, unforgettable setup for the finale," Book VII, when the great Potter ride is expected to end.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/arts/national/2005/07/18/Arts/pottersalespredict050718.html?ref=rss

The important bit that relates to this is at the bottom where it says:

The Scottish author admitted to a teen interviewer that she had mixed feelings about writing the upcoming seventh and final Harry Potter.

"I am dreading it in some ways. I do love writing the books and it is going to be a shock, a profound shock to me," she told 14-year-old Owen Jones, the sole British interview Rowling gave following the book's release. "Even though I have known it is coming for the past 15 years, I have known that the series would end, I think it will still be a shock."

Rowling also revealed that when she attempts her first non-Harry Potter writing, she is considering publishing under another name.

"A fake name is very attractive," she said. "I'll have less pressure and I can write any old thing I want and people won't be clamouring for it and that might be nice."

A pseudonym is probably the best way for her to go. Give her next book a fair shot.

I think she will continue writing. She has said there may be a kind of spin off harry POtter, bacuase she has a lot of background information on the characters that was never slotted into the books, so perhaps a kind of harry Potter encyclopedia!!

I think she is quite keen to try her haned at something different! Harry has quite literally taken over her life.

She could very easily retire now and never write again, but i don't imagine she would do that!!

It is how the Harry Potter fans (myself included) will cope with the end!!
Counselling perhaps? :p

EDIT: Was going to give the link to the interview where she discussed this very issue, but I see someone ions beaten me to it!

I was under the impression she'd made it clear all along that she only wanted Harry Potter to run for so long. She has cited several times that she doesn't want to be like A.A.Milne & only known for writing children books.

Supposedly, she wants to write adult books & be taken seriously for doing so, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if she started using a pseudonym

Stewart said:
Bill Gates (computers)
Warren Buffett (financial investments)
Lakshmi Mittal (steel)
Carlos Slim Helu (telecommunications)
Prince Alwaleed Bin Talad Alsaud (investments and property)
Ingvar Kamprad (IKEA founder)
Paul Allen (computers)
Karl Albrecht (supermarket founder)
Lawrence Ellison (database software)
S. Robson Walton (supermarket founder)

What's harmful about Microsoft, Oracle, Wal-Mart, Aldi, IKEA, telefonos, etc?

Uhhh wow. I can't answer that better than a Google search. And it's a topic for somewhere else. I'll just say LOTS!!!!

By the time all the books have been released, all the movies made and all the merchendise that goes with it, I wouldnt be supprised if she makes it onto that top 10 list.

Those guys are all in the billions and their wealth is increasing exponentially. Rowling is nowhere near it, and never will be. Those guys are at the top of industries that revolve around life: food, work, communications, housing, etc. - a few piddly books is a niche market in comparison.

Mark_E said:
By the time all the books have been released, all the movies made and all the merchendise that goes with it, I wouldnt be supprised if she makes it onto that top 10 list.

It's a nice thought, but it'll never happen. I have to agree with Strwart on this one.

Wabbit said:
Everybody is talking about Harry Potter... but the question I am interested in is what is next for her? Surely she can't milk the cash cow forever or will she try somehow to extend the life of the Potter books?

So what's next for Mrs Rowling? Is she a one idea wonder like L. Frank Baum with his Wizard of Oz books? He tried to publish other books but they were never a success like his Oz books were.

So what WILL she do next? Will she try and extend the Potter books? Will she publish new books set in the Potter world and myth? Give up writing? Will she write something completely new? If so, what kind of book would it be? Another kids book? Something more adult? Fantasy or something other?

What is her next move? Let the speculation begin!

"she can't milk the cash cow forever"

of course she can. she's wealthier than the queen of england.

i think whatever book/series she writes will be successful just out curiousty from Harry Potter readers. i'd certainly buy a copy out of curiousity. i highly doubt she'll ever gain the same success though.

i've read in interviews of how she wont extend harry potter into his adult life. i think it'd be a mistake.. its like bad sequals to great movies.

bill gates is always in the top 3 b/c of the stock markets. it changes daily or something... one of my teachers told me this

J.K Rowling

Overrated; boring; horrible writer--not as horrible as Dan Brown, but up there. Is there any of you who agree with me? Or am I going to hear bouts of religious spew on how marvelous she is...

If you want real stories, read Roald Dahl.

eyez0nme said:
Overrated; boring; horrible writer--not as horrible as Dan Brown, but up there. Is there any of you who agree with me? Or am I going to hear bouts of religious spew on how marvelous she is...

Welcome to my club.

blueboatdriver said:
Stewart, I'm about 200 pages into Foucault's Pendulum and I now realise why you dislike Dan Brown so much.

Ha! I hope you are enjoying it; you'll also have seen the whole The Da Vinci Code plot discussed and dismissed within about thirty pages. Fantastic!

It's just class. I'm really enjoying his style; it's one of those six hundred page books which I feel is going to finish too soon. I want to read the whole Dan Brown/ Da Vince Code thread again after I've finished the book. I'm sure I wouldn't have come across Eco's book if it hadn't been for Dan Brown and the slating he's been given, so something good did come out of it, for me anyway. Thanks.

Sorry for moving away from the J k Rowling thread, eyezOnme.

Oh I have Foucault's Pendulum in my shelf waiting to be read and i can't wait...I'm not reading any more of this thread 'cause I don't want it spoiked:p .

Back