• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

J.R.R. Tolkien: The Lord Of The Rings

LOTR is better if you read The Hobbit first. I plan to read The Hobbit again before I see the movie.
I reread that one again before starting LOTR for the second time. Finally decided to buy my own copy so that I don't have to go to the library to pick up one now when I feel like reading it. It was one of those purchases that I just kept putting off.

This may seem stupid...but.. are they really that good of books?ive never read any of them or seen the movies, never looked like my thing..but people sure seem to love them.

I reread that one again before starting LOTR for the second time. Finally decided to buy my own copy so that I don't have to go to the library to pick up one now when I feel like reading it. It was one of those purchases that I just kept putting off.

I think that's money well spent, Fantasy Moon.

This may seem stupid...but.. are they really that good of books?ive never read any of them or seen the movies, never looked like my thing..but people sure seem to love them.

Look at it this way: Tolkien was a pioneer in the genre and while at times his prose leaves a little to be desired, it's a solid tale. I put off reading it for years but finally sat down and read it in 2003 and I'm glad I did.

I think that's money well spent, Fantasy Moon.
Much better than wasting my money on trashy romance novels that I'll throw down in disgust by chapter three. ;) I meant to have had Fellowship of the Ring finished over the weekend, but things kept happening. I'm almost at the point where Strider shows up for the first time. I'll have more time to read LOTR at my leisure next week though.

Of course! My brother had been nagging at me for years to read them, but I wasn't sure if they'd be my thing either. Once I read them though I was in love!

I read The Hobbit and Fellowship recently for the first time. I *hated* The Hobbit. I had to force myself to finish it. I didn't love Fellowship, but I didn't hate it either. It kept be interested, and mostly entertained. I plan on reading the other 2 at some point, but really if they weren't my boyfriends favorite books I never would have bothered.

Maybe it's a guy thing. The Lord of the Rings is my favourite book, but there's no way my wife would ever read it and she's a school teacher.

Loved Lord of the Rings

Maybe it's a guy thing. The Lord of the Rings is my favourite book, but there's no way my wife would ever read it and she's a school teacher.

I am a woman.........read The Lord of the Rings All 3 and The Hobbitt.Loved the movies also,A Lot........Read The Children of Hurin (sp...sorry) too.

Look at it this way: Tolkien was a pioneer in the genre and while at times his prose leaves a little to be desired, it's a solid tale. I put off reading it for years but finally sat down and read it in 2003 and I'm glad I did.

The true pioneer of the 'High Fantasy' genre was Eric Rucker Eddison with his The Worm Ouroboros; a book that pre-dates Tolkien's Lord of the Rings by some 32 years...it even makes mention of 'Middle-earth'.

The Hobbit, LOTR, The Silmarillion, I loved reading them all, and have reread them many times over.

Peter Jackson did a superlative job bringing LOTR to the big screen, and personally I'm very much looking forward to the Peter Jackson/Guillermo del Toro pairing for The Hobbit.

For me-LOTR is one book. It is mentioned by Tolkein at the beginning where he wanted to make a really long tale.

Favorite Book-Two Towers. Theres so much going on here, with Gandalf's return, the Three Hunters's pursuit of the kidnapped hobbits, Theoden's restoration to an active king, Treebeard etc etc.

Favorite movie-Return of the King. Pulsating.

For me-LOTR is one book. It is mentioned by Tolkein at the beginning where he wanted to make a really long tale.

Favorite Book-Two Towers. Theres so much going on here, with Gandalf's return, the Three Hunters's pursuit of the kidnapped hobbits, Theoden's restoration to an active king, Treebeard etc etc.

Favorite movie-Return of the King. Pulsating.

I also think The Two Towers is the best of the books (if you consider LOTR a trilogy). I love how Tolkien separates the story. Aragon/Legolas/Gimli go on but they have no idea what’s going on with Frodo and Sam. The reader doesn’t know either.

We lose these characters for 200 pages, but Tolkien makes it work.

I also think The Two Towers is the best of the books (if you consider LOTR a trilogy). I love how Tolkien separates the story. Aragon/Legolas/Gimli go on but they have no idea what’s going on with Frodo and Sam. The reader doesn’t know either.

We lose these characters for 200 pages, but Tolkien makes it work.

What's your favorite chapter in Two Towers? Mine is where Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas meet the 'old man' at night and think it's Saruman, and their first encounter with Gandalf The White.

Do you think he is indeed Saruman?

I consider it one story but technically it's six books I think even though it's presented in 3 volumes. I got a one volume version about 5 years ago and I read in the prologue that Tolkien wanted it published as one book.

Back