• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

James Patterson

It's just annoying that the modern media - film, print, tv, etc. - seems to portray a serial killer as some meandering madman who is killing people for kicks (Copycat, Scream) or to make some big statement (Se7en, Saw) which is complete and utter nonsense.

The only author I've seen get it right is Thomas Harris in Red Dragon and The Silence of the Lambs; Hannibal is pile of tripe.

For me, the Jury is still out on James Patterson. When the Wind Blows was pretty good, but The Lake House (the sequel) could have been better.

I just read 4th of July. It is fourth in a series, if you don't already know and if that is important to you. I read them in order, but each is its own story, you don't have to read them that way. I enjoyed it. I find that he is pretty mild, compared to, say, Jeffrey Deaver.

I like James Patterson in a "read between other books" kind of way. His books are easy reads (one to two days, maybe three). I have a difficult time reading more than one in a sequence. They're fun... but that's about it. My favorite would be Roses Are Read, although I've never read When the Wind Blows, which seems to be a popular favorite of Patterson's. I think of him sometimes as a "I hate that fucker" type author when he sells millions of 40-50,000 word short novels for $29.95. Yeah, they may be 300 pages long, but sometimes there's only a hundred or so words on a page (Big Bad Wolf, for example).

A friend of mine just gave me Sam's Letters to Jennifer. It's really not my kind of book (from the cover and title I thought it was by Nicholas Sparks). She really wants me to read it and the one that came before it though, so I probably will. I don't mind guilt reading if they are really easy books. Has anyone ever read these books? Are they at least somewhat ok?

Hey,
I read Honeymoon which i quite enjoyed. There was a side story which went NO WHERE, that was very annoying. it was like he was trying to fit two stories into one, which was annoying...but other than that, i like it.
He can pull of cliches
Also, i read his newest novel 4th of July and that was enjoyabole. Pretty good. It was also an inbetween book for me that I read in like 2 days. The short chapters are good too.
Im going to read some of his books that you guys suggested
Lani

I didn't read kiss the girls, I saw the movie and enjoyed it and I hate when you read the book after you watch the movie and it then you think back on the movie and how much difference there was. So if I read the book I don't watch the movie and if I see the movie I don't read the book that way I am not dissapointed. I think most of the books that I have read from koontz(and since I am a fan and have read lots) there is only one that I didn't consider awsome and that was the wolf.

I like Patterson for a good quick read. I like his short chapter style... maybe it has something to do with that little touch of ADD I have. ;)

Geenh said:
James Patterson gets so blase after about 3-4 books. I wont read anymore of his but I am sure others love him.

I agree. Much of the same old, same old. He started to remind me of Patricia Cornell after a while...boring, boring, silly.

Hi all,
I am a HUGE James Patterson fan and I was wondering if anyone here is also in love with his books. I have read Alex Cross series (Along came a spider was on of them and it became a movie), Where the wind blows, The Women's murder club series, the Beach Road, Roses are Read (this is my favourite) and the Maximum Ride - The Angel Experiment.
Anybody read other books that you would recommend?

Welcome to the forum, Wildrose! :)

There's another James Patterson thread here which might be of interest to you. :)

I have read three of his books - the ones that deal with the winged children - which I enjoyed. They were entertaining page-turners, but I don't think I will be reading any of his other books. His writing style just doesn't appeal to me that much.

Thanks, I will check it out.
About his style I would have to disagree, though. If you are referring to Maximum Ride when you talk about his style - it is a kid's book (9-15yo), so the style should be different from other books. I bought the sequel for most part because of the soundtrack that was supposed to be there. I liked the because it kept me interested, but I would not re-read it what I sometimes do with my favorite books. I did like The Roses are Red a lot, the Honeymoon and some others.
Overall, I don't think Patterson has a specific style, I think his style changes depending on the audience, but I may be wrong. I am not a book critic.

A shout out!

I wanted to shout out for Patterson. He is one of my favorite authors, and although I can't say that I like his every book, I usually wait for a new one with impatience. I am not sure if it is possible at all to say that if a person likes an author in general he or she likes all of this author's books.
I personally enjoyed: "the roses are red", "honeymoon", "the beach road", I liked the Maximum Ride that has a very different style from any other book that I have read by him. I bought the second one - Max Ride the School is out Forever and hoped to find the promissed soundtrack there, but no luck:( oh, well, there are sweeps on his website, so hopefully I will win one. I am waiting now for Judge and the Jury. Supposed to be good.

I first started reading his books when an English teacher recommended Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas. Cuz I enjoy Nicholas Sparks books, and then I read Sam's Letter to Jennifer. Which I knew those were different from his regular style, so I gave some of his other books a try.

I have enjoyed reading them. I just finished When the Wind Blows, and I am now reading The Midnight Club. I like that they have short chapters, cuz I hate stopping in the middle, but I often read at the beginning of class, or any short times I have to read and its easy to get through a quick chapter and its easy to read even if people are talking around you. And I like books that I can read in a few days.

Judge and Jury

Hey all, Look what I found on myspace!!! Being a huge Patterson fan I am always looking for some new stuff from him, but this is unbelievable!!!
The book is not out yet, but this guy is talking in this video out of his jail!!! Hope he never gets out!!!

http://www.myspace.com/dominiccavello

wildrose said:
Hey all, Look what I found on myspace!!! Being a huge Patterson fan I am always looking for some new stuff from him, but this is unbelievable!!!

What's unbelievable about it? Patterson is a marketeer, not a writer. This is just a bit of viral marketing to try to entice more into buying his word sludge.

I had a look at his latest paperback (Beach Road? Or was that last month's latest James Patterson paperback?) in the airport a couple of weeks ago. I couldn't believe it - there were about 15 lines of text per page, huge spacing, huge margins. That way, it ran to around 400 pages. Presumably if it was typeset normally, it would have been around 120 pages.

Back