• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Janet Evanovich

I read One for the Money yesterday after hearing so many great things about this series. As far as chick lit goes, this book was one of the best that I have read - however when talking generally, I found it to be good, but not great. I have never really liked chick lit so maybe that's why I didn't feel it lived up to its reputation.

I found the whole Ramirez plot a little unbeliveable - I just couldn't make myself accept that this guy would be
stalking her and going so far after one chance meeting. It just seemed a little overboard.
. I'm not sure about you guys, but that part of the story just didn't flow with me.

The ending could be seen from a mile away. There was no surprise at all.

Regardless of these faults, the book was still humerous - the Grandma was my favourite by far, and Stephanie's witty comments really made the book enjoyable. Although I wasn't overwhelmed with this novel, I think that I will give the next book in the series a try. Do they get any better, or was this one the best of the lot?

I enjoy the Stephanie Plum series. As for the books getting better after One For the Money - I would say no. In my opinion they are all about equal in that respect. We are in agreement about the outrageous Ramirez plot and predictable ending. But, that being said, I think the books are worth reading because they are pretty darn funny. You get to know the characters are the series progresses and I have to say that Evanovich comes up with some funny and entertaining personalities. The series is obviously not mentally stimulating, but great for a light read.

I enjoy the Stephanie Plum series. As for the books getting better after One For the Money - I would say no. In my opinion they are all about equal in that respect. We are in agreement about the outrageous Ramirez plot and predictable ending. But, that being said, I think the books are worth reading because they are pretty darn funny. You get to know the characters are the series progresses and I have to say that Evanovich comes up with some funny and entertaining personalities. The series is obviously not mentally stimulating, but great for a light read.
Thanks for the reply - I'll definitely be picking up the next in the series now, especially as someone who has enjoyed the series shares my views on some of the downfalls of One for the Money.

I read books 1 - 8 over christmas last year. I enjoyed them at the time because I was looking for fluff reading. I can't recommend them as either thrilling or believable mysteries, but they are definitely a lot of mood when you are in the mood for something light and funny. I probably won't finish the series though.

Does anyone else out there read the "Stephanie Plum" series? I LOVE these books. They are mostly fluff but so entertaining.
:p :) :p :) :p :) :p :)

I've merged a few threads here. Please be sure to search first! :)

Does anyone else out there read the "Stephanie Plum" series? I LOVE these books. They are mostly fluff but so entertaining.
:p :) :p :) :p :) :p :)

I do, but I'm really getting sick of them. I'm starting to feel like they are the train wreck I can't stop watching. I've read all of her currently released books (except Plum Lovin', picked that up at the library this morning), and lately I am starting to wonder why I keep reading. A lot of the re-released books are nothing more than romance novels, which totally turn me off. The Plum series is getting stale for me, and the Full and Metro series weren't as good from the get go. I know I'll keep on reading, but I certainly won't pay for any more of her books.

I've merged a few threads here. Please be sure to search first! :)

I'm starting to feel like they are the train wreck I can't stop watching. ........ The Plum series is getting stale for me, and the Full and Metro series weren't as good from the get go.

I kinda feel the same, but if I start something I can't stop (ie. NORA ROBERTS trilogies) But aren't you the least bit interest in who she'll pick between Joe and Ranger?????????

Either way, please let me know how Plum Lovin is.

...aren't you the least bit interest in who she'll pick between Joe and Ranger?????????
Nope. I doubt she ever will. There isn't much new in each consecutive novel and I think the only thing keeping the series running is the Joe vs. Ranger thing.

Either way, please let me know how Plum Lovin is.

Sure thing. I'll be starting it soon because I'm in a hurry to get on to other stuff.

Well, I finished Plum Lovin'. It was a very quick read, and I'm so happy I didn't pay for it. I do, however, think I enjoyed it a bit more than some of the other recent Plum novels.

The best part about it is that there is very little about Joe or Ranger, and Stephanie isn't running around making herself look stupid trying to catch losers. Instead, she's working with Diesel (remember him from Visions of Sugar Plums?). There is only one skip on the books (Annie), and Diesel is hiding her until he catches Bernie, an "unmentionable" who is also after her. So, Stephanie has to to take over Annie's job as a "relationship expert" and help Diesel get Bernie under control. All in all, it was funny, as Evanovich can be and didn't rely on the the same old story lines she's been using and abusing for some time now. I'd give it a 3/5 and suggest borrowing it from the library or a friend who is silly enough to buy it!

Back