• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Janet Evanovich

I love this series too. Grandma Mazur is a hoot! Stephanie Plum is great, but I wouldn't loan her my vehicle..The jury is still out over Ranger and Morelli; they're both so cute.

mom2kngr said:
Is there a #12 yet? I only knew of 11.

It's called Visions of Sugar Plums and is a novella timed between books 8 & 9.

If you guys like these books you should try reading her Full series. They are a little more romancy (which I don't really care for) but they're funny as well. There's also Jennifer Crusie, who writes non-series books that are fairly similar and Susan Conant who writes the Dog Lover's Mysteries.

I love these books too! It would be great if someone could make them into movies and have them be true to the humor in the novels. I think Amanda Peet would be a great Stephanie Plum (think of her in The Whole Nine Yards) and Michael Clarke Duncan would be a fantastic Ranger (again, think of The Whole Nine Yards).

They'd have an awful time getting the humor and the romantic tension just right. It would take just the right director and cast. Queen Latifah could play Stephanie's sidekick. She's gorgeous AND funny. I don't know who should be Grandma Mazur..but that would sure be a fun part :D :D

Queen Latifah playing Lula would be absolutely perfect! Lula has to be my favorite!! Her outfits crack me up...LOL

mom2kngr said:
Queen Latifah playing Lula would be absolutely perfect! Lula has to be my favorite!! Her outfits crack me up...LOL

Her outfits, her mouth,her stun gun, her attutude..:D

i keep seeing these books everywhere - didn't she come out with a new one recently? i was worried that its just chick lit so i didn't bother looking at it. chick lit isn't appealing to me at all lately. i couldn't even finish The Nanny Diaries or get into Bridget Jone's Diary

i own all 12 of them and i just love them...
@ WoundedThorns: i would say if you like funny books you will love them...

and anybody who tries to make a movie out of this books will fail miserable!!!

I think Metro Girl is fantastic too.

WoundedThorns:

I'm not such a huge fan of chick lit, IMHO it tends to take itself a bit too seriously and often I just want to smack the main character for being kind of a bitch. Janet Evanovich's books have a couple chick-lit elements in them, in that they feature a strong, single female protagonist with a close family and friend social network. BUT, the books are incredibly fun! They have more elements of humor, mystery and romance, and suspense than they do of chick lit. In fact, they're just laugh-out-loud funny most of the time. Read the first one, One for the Money, it's quick and I'll just bet you'll snatch the second one up right away :D

I heard they are going to make a movie...but heard nothing on casting...how about Sandra Bullock as Stephanie? And Queen Latifah would make a great Lula!!

The Stephanie Plum series is the best I ever read. I love Grandma Mazur, too. Steph's mom puts a smile on my face every now and then, but Grandma makes me laugh my head off.

I heard about the movie thing too. I hope Hollywood doesn't **** things up in the movie. They always turn great books into suckie movies (but it's usually fiction, i guess crime wouldn't be so fucked up)

I'm a little late on this thread but I absolutely LOVE the Stephanie Plum series. I've read a couple of her Full series as well. This is the only author that has been able to make me laugh out loud while reading. Can't wait to see who they cast for the movie.

Sofia said:
I heard they are going to make a movie...but heard nothing on casting...how about Sandra Bullock as Stephanie? And Queen Latifah would make a great Lula!!
Sandra Bullock sounds very right to me! And Queen Latifah too, even if it now sounds like I have been missing out on a lot of fun I never knew about. :eek:
Peder

I've got a couple of them, but haven't been able to get into the stories.
Perhaps later down the road. I like the premise, but the execution didn't really grab me. But in all fairness, I've only tried to read one of them, and probably wasn't in the right mood. :eek:

The only one of that series I read was the Visions of Sugar Plums but I thought it was very good! I would like to start from the beginning and read the whole series.

The first one I read by her was Metro Girl and I read it in a day! Most of her books I do!

I have read several of the Full series! I love them! I love to have a little romance added in though!!

Gee, I created a thread on the general discussion forum about the Stephanie Plum character casting before I found this one. Should have just waited:p

I think Sandra Bullock is perfect to play Stephanie, although not sure if she can do the Jersey thing convincingly. I think a blond Marissa Tomei is perfect as Connie. I personally think Shar Jackson makes a better Lula, I think Queen Latifah has a bit too much class (she does Cover Girl ads for Christ sakes :rolleyes: ) to play Lula. Benjamin Pratt makes a perfect Morelli if he were a bit scruffy, he is totally yummy:D I love Grandma Mazur too, she's just too much fun. And as for Ranger, Vin Diesel is the man!

I personally would pick Morelli for Stephanie, I think Ranger is a great roll in the hay (and there's nothing wrong with a good roll with a hot bad boy:D ) but Morelli keeps coming back into her life for a reason. I think he's really the love of her life and he can give her everything she wants, the hot man and stability. Ranger is a bit of a loose cannon and she can have advanture with him, but not a family life. With Morelli she can have it all, and since he's a vice cop, I'm sure she will have tons of excitement in her life.

My only issue with the books is that Stephanie never seems to get over her inexperience at the job. She still doesn't use her gun, she still fumbling along, and you'd think by the 12th book she would learn enough to at least load her gun or take some self defense class. That's my only complaint. That and the love triangle thing is getting a little too drawn out. I like it better in the earlier books when her and Ranger are just plain friends.

Ok, I just finished reading all 12 books of the Stephanie Plum series, honestly I am disappointed. The last 3 books had been nothing but rehash of previous books, there had been no character growth and flat out unbelievable. I find myself screaming at the book during the "climax", frustrated with how stupid Stephanie Plum is. I don't see what Joe and Ranger see in her anymore. She's whiny and dumb, I honestly don't see how she's managed to stay alive. These days it seems to take 2 men (Joe and Ranger) to keep her out of trouble and sexually satisfied. Don't get me wrong, I love the male leads, I think they are absolutely delicious and wouldn't mind spending some time reading about them, but Stephanie's hare brain self talks and antics have gotten so old I usually skim through it.

Ms. Evanovich, bring the old Stephanie, the sassy bounty hunter with wit and style, not this bumbling incompetent fool with no sense of self preservation. And for Christ's sake, make her carry a damn gun once in a while!

Back