• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Jealous readers

novella

Are you or have you met jealous readers? I don't mean 'jealous' in the sense of envious, but in the sense of having to read whatevery they think you've read or will read. Competitive readers who guard their hoard.

My sister and hub qualify. They are the kind of people who, when you wake up early and go out and buy the newspaper will immediately take the whole newspaper when you set it down on the table. They will take your new pile of library books into another room and announce that they are going to read them.

They read quickly and indiscriminately, seemingly only to devour whatever they sense others may have read or may yet read. They want to be sure that, yes, they have opened that book and absorbed enough to call it 'read.'

I disapprove of this kind of reading (though of course I love the hub and sis dearly). There is a search-and-destroy quality to their approach. And they are not open to discussing books because they don't remember the details very clearly.

I sense the presence of such readers on threads like "how many books have you read" and the like.

Opinions? Contrary views?

I dunno. I suppose individual cases vary (as the psychiatrists say), but I would tend to give someone exhibiting that sort of behaviour the benefit of the doubt and guess they just wanted to share in what I like...

As for 'How Many Books Have You Read' threads, yes, these tend to be unattractively competitive but at the same time the anally-retentive number cruncher in me can't resist them.

I wouldn't call it "jealous reading" but I know what you mean.

I don't think I do. I hope I don't anyway. I do read authors based on recommendations, so maybe.

I don't know anybody like that either, I know two types of readers, those that barely read at all, and are not ashamed whatsoever, and those that read regularly, and like me, read some authors due to a positive prior experience, some due to recommendation, or because the cover caught their eye in the library or bookshop ;)

I don't know, I'll have to think about it. :)

I don't really get that feeling in the thread you mention. I think the posts I've read over there comprise of people that have loved the books they've read.

Its easy to read books that are not multi-layered with many meanings. But to properly absorb something like Nabokov (natch I'd think of that :) ) takes time. For me at any rate. Plus, I don't always get the concentrated time available to read as much (by half) that I'd like to. When I was younger I read indiscriminately, and would hole up on my room, or in a corner somewhere and ignore the rest of the world for hours on end.

But I do guard my hoard quite jealously. I dislike loaning books, and worry until I get them back on the very few occasions I have lent them out. There is no one else in my household that is a reader as I am, so no worries about them kidnapping my treasures. :D

I'd agree that you can read too quickly and miss out on 'layers of the onion'. I tend to go through phases, I'll hit a book I really enjoy and then get through a fair number quickly, sometimes I'll hit something I want to really get my teeth into and savour, and then at times I'll go months with only reading one or two books.

I've got through about 12 books this year already, but mostly due to having plenty of time at New Year and most of the ones I read being a bit of a disappointment and not being worth a deeper effort.

I'm not sure if I'm a hoarder, but I don't lend my books out anymore, as I've lost so many that way. I supose a hoarder could also be someone who finds a good book then keeps the secret to themselves. I don't think I'm like that as I give out quite a lot of recommendations on this board hoping that people discover a taste for the more obsure.

As to not discussing a book in great detail, I have to do that fairly soon after I've read it as my memory is so shite.

K-S

Some people might say thats what I am, but really I just want to read different things and see what there is out there. If someone recommends something I'm likely to keep an eye out for it, but when I read I do absorb most of what I read (unless it's boring).

I can be quite protective of my hoard too. Some books I won't lend out. The ones I am willing to are only to selcet people and on certain conditions (although I'm worried about my copy of Memoirs of a Geisha which has been out since I finished reading it in September :eek: ).

I guess I'm more of a greedy reader. :p

My hubby sometimes grabs the book I'm reading, or am about to read. I cut him lots of slack since he does't have the opportunity to hunt for good reads that I do. In fact, lately he's taken to out of the blue asking me for something to read..we have a whole houseful..really, he built most of the shelves himself. But he's wanting me to suggest something on the spur of the moment, since he never knows when he'll have a free moment..and his taste doesn't always mesh with mine. Mostly it does, but guessing which one will suit at the moment is...interesting:D Anyway, if he runs off with a book in progress, he's not being malicious and I choose to treat it with good humor, since that's how I'd want him to treat me.
That said, I have a houseful of kids who love books too. The worst book stealer is my oldest dd, since her taste and mine are very similar at times. She's something else, and will take off with library books and never mention it. The last one was a book I'd determined she would pay for herself, and amazingly enough, it turned up at her workplace, scooted back on a shelf. She's been better since then..so maybe there's hope.

Shade said:
I would tend to give someone exhibiting that sort of behaviour the benefit of the doubt and guess they just wanted to share in what I like...

I'm talking about this. When certain people are in the vicinity, every time I put down what I am reading, this certain type will pick it up, and I have to say, "I'm reading that." I mean, at least wait until I'm done, right?

Nope, not a jealous reader. I'll ask the person about the book or newspaper article though and talk about other things related to the subject that I have read.

novella said:
I'm talking about this. When certain people are in the vicinity, every time I put down what I am reading, this certain type will pick it up, and I have to say, "I'm reading that." I mean, at least wait until I'm done, right?

That's appalling, not to mention extremely rude. No matter if you love them to death, I'd grab the book (or newspaper) back and say "then you can wait till I'm done with it". If they can't wait, suggest they go get the same book, even if they have to buy it. I wouldn't leave books or newspapers where they can get snatched, either. This all depends on whether you're a guest (from out of town) in their house, or vice versa. I still wouldn't put up with it.

Fight for your books! You can let them have your children and your husband, and the contents of your refrigerator, but never let 'em get your books!

I don't know anyone who does what you describe, but I have noticed that when a highly attractive book comes out (i.e. something we've all been waiting for and everyone wants to read, for example the latest Harry Potter or Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell) there is a competition about who reads it first. I usually find this exhausting and end up reading it six months after everyone else just because of that :).

The unlucky soul who'd snatch up my "book in progress" might lose an arm. If I see someone reading somewhere, I may go out of my way to see the title, but would never dream of picking up said book.
Luckily, everyone I know is aware of my book attitudes and kindly obey my rules.

pontalba said:
I don't really get that feeling in the thread you mention. I think the posts I've read over there comprise of people that have loved the books they've read.
:D
I totally agree with you. In fact I get the feeling that the people in those threads are wanting to share books that they have read and enjoyed with others. One of the best feelings that I get is when I recommend a book, or a person sees a book that I have read, reads it and also enjoys the book. I feel good that the other person has discovered a book to enjoy.

I've been thinking some more about this.

I am very curious of what other people are reading, and love "book talk" but I have never read Harry Potter and tons of others, including Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. I don't read exclusively new books, or popular ones, or classics, just to be able to say I've read such-and-such...

But I am very proud for getting through Ulysses ;) :D (even if I didn't have a clue what it was going on about :confused: :D )

What gets me down isn't the "jealous reader," but folks who NEVER read what you recommend. And, bless their hearts, they're always the ones who are telling you what to read...I guess I'm just looking for some recommend-reciprocity. I mean, I gave Salinger another shot and read the whole LotR series, so won't you just pick up Irving? Come on.

Tiffany said:
What gets me down isn't the "jealous reader," but folks who NEVER read what you recommend. And, bless their hearts, they're always the ones who are telling you what to read...I guess I'm just looking for some recommend-reciprocity. I mean, I gave Salinger another shot and read the whole LotR series, so won't you just pick up Irving? Come on.

That's so true!! I read every book certain people, like my mum for example, recommends to me. Often they are not my thing at all, but occasionally I will read a book that I know they will love too, and I tell them about it, even lend them it, everything but read it out down the phone to them (and I even try that ;) )yet they don't bother to read it.

Their loss, but it's so frustrating! :rolleyes:

Just found this quote in our local paper today. Thought it was quite appropriate and funny.

"Reading someone else's newspaper is like sleeping with someone else's wife. Nothing seems to be precisely in the right place, and when you find what you are looking for, it is not clear then how to respond to it." - Malcolm Bradbury

Back