• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Jimi Hendrix - say it isn't so....Un-American?

Part of the point I'm trying to make is the guy dodged prison by "volunteering" to join the military. Then when things got serious in the military, he dodged that by faking being gay.

That's bullshit. He ran the system for all it was worth and paid nothing for his sins.

Take away his guitar and this guy would be trashed by anybody, and everybody who would read this story. If this was the story of Jim Smith politician.....hooo boy ......

Jimi Hendrix the guitar player = God/hero
Jimi Hendrix the American = disgrace/coward
Jimi Hendrix the man = pretty shabby without the guitar

Zolipara said:
There are some rumours that he was gay or at least bisexual, but as far as i know its just rumours. Novella probably just mentioned it because she dont like him.

Okay, I have not made up the stories about the two-way mirrors in John Wayne's Brentwood home, with the explicit purpose of watching, or his wearing a cocktail dress on occassion. Plus, are you blind? He is the most unconvincing romantic lead on earth. And those swimming trunks! Anyway, leave Jimi alone. John Wayne was a draft-dodging rightwing dunderhead who advocated the Vietnam War (his movie Green Berets was explicitly prowar) but cowardly avoided the draft in WWII when his number came up. Let's pick on him instead! At least Jimi had some legit talent. I just love the idea of Hendrix yanking some military psych's chain, though. What fun.

novella said:
At least Jimi had some legit talent. I just love the idea of Hendrix yanking some military psych's chain, though. What fun.

So if you're talented you can break the law and get away with it, and lie, cheat, and steal your way out of everything imaginable...but that's ok cause you can really rip on the quitar???

That's a double standard. Suppose Jimi had been a rapist and not a car thief? Still ok?

novella said:
Okay, I have not made up the stories about the two-way mirrors in John Wayne's Brentwood home, with the explicit purpose of watching, or his wearing a cocktail dress on occassion. Plus, are you blind? He is the most unconvincing romantic lead on earth. And those swimming trunks! Anyway, leave Jimi alone. John Wayne was a draft-dodging rightwing dunderhead who advocated the Vietnam War (his movie Green Berets was explicitly prowar) but cowardly avoided the draft in WWII when his number came up. Let's pick on him instead! At least Jimi had some legit talent. I just love the idea of Hendrix yanking some military psych's chain, though. What fun.

Bravo on all points, Novella.

Motokid said:
So if you're talented you can break the law and get away with it, and lie, cheat, and steal your way out of everything imaginable...but that's ok cause you can really rip on the quitar???

That's a double standard. Suppose Jimi had been a rapist and not a car thief? Still ok?

You type fast, Moto.
Let's separate these two issues, shall we?: committing a crime, being convicted, and cutting a deal; and, dodging military service.

The first is done all the time by all kinds of people. I don't advocate it, but it's a separate issue.

To the second, I say, gee I'll have to tell my son to use that when the time comes. If your going to run the kind of country that bans gays from the miliatary, then you deserve what you get when people use it as an excuse to get out.

novella said:

Actually, there were and still are people that are unhappy with Wayne's decision not to go to war. I have never seen or heard anything authoritative to substantiate those rumors about two-way mirrors the wearing of dresses.

novella said:
To the second, I say, gee I'll have to tell my son to use that when the time comes. If your going to run the kind of country that bans gays from the miliatary, then you deserve what you get when people use it as an excuse to get out.

i agree with this 100%. one hundred percent!!!!!

Hey, why not have your children enlist in the military and get all the schooling they can get, not to mention jobs and paychecks and whatnot, but then, if for some reason, they get called to go someplace dangerous, they can pull the "gay" card? How 'bout that? Sounds like an honorable position to take to me.

I don't care if people join the military to avoid prison. What
I care about is then avoiding that dodge because the military might send you someplace dangerous.

Motokid said:
Hey, why not have your children enlist in the military and get all the schooling they can get, not to mention jobs and paychecks and whatnot, but then, if for some reason, they get called to go someplace dangerous, they can pull the "gay" card? How 'bout that? Sounds like an honorable position to take to me.

I don't care if people join the military to avoid prison. What
I care about is then avoiding that dodge because the military might send you someplace dangerous.

I wouldn't touch military service with a bargepole. So Jimi miscalculated. I for one am glad he didn't turn into cannon fodder.

novella said:

Lets try to keep the facts straight, ok. Wayne's number never came up he was too old to draft. Second thing is Hendrix wasn't drafted, he joined.

novella said:
Okay, I have not made up the stories about the two-way mirrors in John Wayne's Brentwood home, with the explicit purpose of watching, or his wearing a cocktail dress on occassion. Plus, are you blind? He is the most unconvincing romantic lead on earth. And those swimming trunks!

Its still just rumours nomatter how much you dislike him. Anyway i could not care less either way if he was gay or not.

novella said:
I wouldn't touch military service with a bargepole. So Jimi miscalculated. I for one am glad he didn't turn into cannon fodder.

Gee, now aren't you grateful for all those people that paid the price so you could say that, much less have the option of not joining up?

Do you hate the military, or is it simply not the direction you wish to go?

Robert said:
Lets try to keep the facts straight, ok. Wayne's number never came up he was too old to draft. Second thing is Hendrix wasn't drafted, he joined.

Hey, I never said Hendrix was drafted. As for John Wayne, this is from Wiki:

"Although appearing in many war films and frequently being eulogized as an "American hero," Wayne never served in the Armed Forces. Between 1940, when the military draft was reinstated and the end of World War II in 1945, he remained in Hollywood and made 21 movies. (Among them was Cecil B. DeMille's Reap the Wild Wind (1942), in which he portrayed one of the few less-than-honorable characters in his career.) He was of draft age (34) at the time of Pearl Harbor in 1941, but asked for and received a deferral for family dependency, a classification of 3-A. This was later changed to a deferment in the national interest, 2-A."

novella said:
Hey, I never said Hendrix was drafted. As for John Wayne, this is from Wiki:

"Although appearing in many war films and frequently being eulogized as an "American hero," Wayne never served in the Armed Forces. Between 1940, when the military draft was reinstated and the end of World War II in 1945, he remained in Hollywood and made 21 movies. (Among them was Cecil B. DeMille's Reap the Wild Wind (1942), in which he portrayed one of the few less-than-honorable characters in his career.) He was of draft age (34) at the time of Pearl Harbor in 1941, but asked for and received a deferral for family dependency, a classification of 3-A. This was later changed to a deferment in the national interest, 2-A."

Sorry. You're right.

Robert said:
Gee, now aren't you grateful for all those people that paid the price so you could say that, much less have the option of not joining up?

Do you hate the military, or is it simply not the direction you wish to go?

As with TBF, I believe you have to pick your battles, based on your own conscience and knowledge of the situation. Blanket obedience to any government is an abbrogation of personal responsibility and morality.

novella said:
As with TBF, I believe you have to pick your battles, based on your own conscience and knowledge of the situation. Blanket obedience to any government is an abbrogation of personal responsibility and morality.

There's a difference between being a "conscientious objector" (spelling?), being a pacifist, or against any and all kinds of armed violence against another human being, and "joining" the military to escape a prison sentence, and then "unjoining" the military to escape doing what the military is supposed to do.

I take nothing away from the guitar Jimi...what I take away is the "honorable human" Jimi in the sense that he basically "pig-fucked" the entire American System.

Again, if this was anybody else but one of rock-n-rolls biggest icons and legends there would be no story, and if there was he would be crucified by almost everyone willing to speak on the subject.

It's a double standard for talent/fame. That's all.

Robert said:
It's just like the vote, Kenny, everybody counts. Part of having freedom must include doing what is necessary to protect it.
That's not quite the point I was trying to make. I would suggest that the Vietnam Wars part in protecting your freedom is debatable. But that's a whole different kettle of lobsters.

Kenny Shovel said:
That's not quite the point I was trying to make. I would suggest that the Vietnam Wars part in protecting your freedom is debatable. But that's a whole different kettle of lobsters.

Yes, but when a person freely chooses a stint in the military over a prison term, that person should not be able to choose where, when, and/or what they morally accept or don't accept. If you volunteer for a position in the military you accept the possibility of having to fight. It's pretty clear and very simple to understand. Faking being gay is a cowardly, and dishonorable act regardless of the level of talent you might have at playing a guitar.

Motokid said:
There's a difference between being a "conscientious objector" (spelling?), being a pacifist, or against any and all kinds of armed violence against another human being, and "joining" the military to escape a prison sentence, and then "unjoining" the military to escape doing what the military is supposed to do.

I take nothing away from the guitar Jimi...what I take away is the "honorable human" Jimi in the sense that he basically "pig-fucked" the entire American System.

Again, if this was anybody else but one of rock-n-rolls biggest icons and legends there would be no story, and if there was he would be crucified by almost everyone willing to speak on the subject.

It's a double standard for talent/fame. That's all.

Since when are rock-n-roll drug addicts supposed to be held up as models of social and moral righteousness? Duh, it's kinda silly to talk about Jimi as a failed model of social behavior.

Back