• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Jimi Hendrix - say it isn't so....Un-American?

novella said:
Hey, I never said Hendrix was drafted. As for John Wayne, this is from Wiki:

"Although appearing in many war films and frequently being eulogized as an "American hero," Wayne never served in the Armed Forces. Between 1940, when the military draft was reinstated and the end of World War II in 1945, he remained in Hollywood and made 21 movies. (Among them was Cecil B. DeMille's Reap the Wild Wind (1942), in which he portrayed one of the few less-than-honorable characters in his career.) He was of draft age (34) at the time of Pearl Harbor in 1941, but asked for and received a deferral for family dependency, a classification of 3-A. This was later changed to a deferment in the national interest, 2-A."

On a more positive note lets compare and contrast with James Stewart, this also from Wkipedia:

"Already a pilot, Stewart signed up for the U.S. Army Air Force a year before Pearl Harbor was attacked. Initially rejected for being too skinny, he gained weight and successfully reapplied. His first posting was at Moffett Field, California. American celebrities who served in World War II were generally kept out of harm's way and used for publicity purposes; Stewart objected to this special treatment, requesting the same combat duty as other pilots. By the end of the war, he had flown 20 missions over Europe with the 8th Air Force, piloting a B-24 Liberator. Among his decorations were the Air Medal, the Distinguished Flying Cross, the Croix de Guerre and 7 battle stars. Stewart was reluctant, though, to speak about the missions he flew, possibly due to his dislike of violence."

For me the telling sentence is the last.

novella said:
As with TBF, I believe you have to pick your battles, based on your own conscience and knowledge of the situation. Blanket obedience to any government is an abbrogation of personal responsibility and morality.

Fair enough. But keep in mind that not all of our soldiers go to war. Some spend their time training to maintain readiness.

novella said:
Since when are rock-n-roll drug addicts supposed to be held up as models of social and moral righteousness? Duh, it's kinda silly to talk about Jimi as a failed model of social behavior.

Good point novella...except that's exactly what people do...Jimi is looked at as a god amoung men. The ultimate guitar player and consumate rock star.
He's placed on the highest rung of musical achievement and justly so. Unfortunately many also forget that as a human being, and as an American, his ying definitely had a very serious yang.

Once again society hoists a person into superstar status, when in fact they really don't deserve the praise and/or hero label.

If it were not for the talent this person would be regarded as trash. I just ponder the hypocracy in it all.

Kenny Shovel said:
On a more positive note lets compare and contrast with James Stewart, this also from Wkipedia:

"Already a pilot, Stewart signed up for the U.S. Army Air Force a year before Pearl Harbor was attacked. Initially rejected for being too skinny, he gained weight and successfully reapplied. His first posting was at Moffett Field, California. American celebrities who served in World War II were generally kept out of harm's way and used for publicity purposes; Stewart objected to this special treatment, requesting the same combat duty as other pilots. By the end of the war, he had flown 20 missions over Europe with the 8th Air Force, piloting a B-24 Liberator. Among his decorations were the Air Medal, the Distinguished Flying Cross, the Croix de Guerre and 7 battle stars. Stewart was reluctant, though, to speak about the missions he flew, possibly due to his dislike of violence."

For me the telling sentence is the last.

Thanks for that, Kenny. Definitely worth remembering the good guys. Richard Attenborough and David Niven as well.

Motokid said:
Once again society hoists a person into superstar status, when in fact they really don't deserve the praise and/or hero label.

He is given a superstar status purely because of his musical talent. The other parts of his character does not matter. Yes many people admire his musical talents and dream of playing like him, but that does not mean they wish to fake beeing gay to avoid the draft "because Jimi did it". You can dig up dirt on a lot of superstars but does it really matter? They only show they are human after all.

Motokid said:
Yes, but when a person freely chooses a stint in the military over a prison term, that person should not be able to choose where, when, and/or what they morally accept or don't accept. If you volunteer for a position in the military you accept the possibility of having to fight. It's pretty clear and very simple to understand. Faking being gay is a cowardly, and dishonorable act regardless of the level of talent you might have at playing a guitar.
You appear to be arguing a completely different line of thought to the one I'm taking about.
For what it's worth I agree that if you sign up for the military then you know what the consequences are if there is a conflict. Does joining up then trying to duck out when war starts make you a coward? Perhaps, but I would suggest it certainly makes you an idiot; exactly how difficult was it to join those two dots up?
Regarding his reasons given; the armies’ discrimination hardly makes them 'honourable' either. As for his claim to be 'addicted to masturbating', well, from what a couple of my cousins told me, that was pretty much compulsorily in the Royal Navy!

Motokid said:

so then isn't this really our fault and not the superstars. we provide the loophole and then condemn them for using it?

jenngorham said:
so then isn't this really our fault and not the superstars. we provide the loophole and then condemn them for using it?

That's right. Each individual person being held accountable for their own actions. I bought his music. I look at him as a guitar virtuoso (spelling?), but I will never again use the words hero and Jimi Hendrix in the same way I might have before. Although I can't really remember doing that in the past either....

My personal opinion of Hendrix the man has taken quite a bruise.

Motokid said:

Well, Moto, it looks like you're the one guilty of hero worship. I personally think JH played awesome guitar, had a truly soulful voice, and great personal style, but I've always viewed his drug addiction, sexual promiscuity, personal hygiene, and sense of responsibility for America's youth somewhat below my standards.

Motokid said:
You just have to accept that everyone is flawed....and I recon he'd of been useless out there anyway...Keith Moon on the other hand would have been brilliant, two days in the jungle and he'd of gone feral…

Motokid said:
That's right. Each individual person being held accountable for their own actions. I bought his music. I look at him as a guitar virtuoso (spelling?), but I will never again use the words hero and Jimi Hendrix in the same way I might have before. Although I can't really remember doing that in the past either....

i think you missed my point. i don't think he ever wanted to be a hero, he just wanted to play guitar. we are the ones who set these people up as hero's and role models, and then when they fail, because they are human, we condemn them. how very hypocritical of us. love him for what he was, a brilliant guitar player, not for what you hoped he was.

i never would have used the word hero in the same sentence anyway, unless it was about what he liked to eat on his hero sandwiches.
he was just a guy, who could play.

I don't condemn a person for being human. Mistakes are made by all. Being a thief, a liar, a cheat, and a coward are not really characteristics that most of us "regular humans" carry around with us. I wouldn't hesitate to guess that the jenngorhams are far and away much better humans that Mr. Hendrix turns out to have been.

The things Jimi did are not "human" things. They are big. They are dis-honorable. They are un-American. That's what took the wind out of my sails. I can look past some of the indulgences that superstardome hoists upon a persons shoulders (drugs, sex , booze...) but I have a hard time overlooking the other stuff he did.

Anyone here seen Toy Story? My opinion of the draft is much like "The Claaaaaw!", which picked up those innoncent little green spacemen (who didn't know what they were getting themselves into) one by one. They were young and stupid and had no idea the horrible death they were receiving by being "chosen".

Realistically, who here would want someone like me drafted into the military? Hand me an AK-47 and I might accidentally wipe out my entire platoon...

Whether or not Hendrix was gay, I'd rather see someone wielding an axe (guitar), than a weapon... especially Jimmy.

I assume you mean Jimi... :p

So exactly how much criminal, and dishonorable behavior are you willing to let go in the face of musical talent?

Obviously car theft is not a problem.

What about spouse abuse?
Assault?
Molestation?
Rape?
Armed Robbery?
Vehicular homicide?

Motokid said:
So exactly how much criminal, and dishonorable behavior are you willing to let go in the face of musical talent?

Obviously car theft is not a problem.

What about spouse abuse?
Assault?
Molestation?
Rape?
Armed Robbery?
Vehicular homicide?

I would never put car theft, spousal abouse, assault, molestation, rape, armed robbery, or vehicular homicide in the same category as being picked (randomly?) for joining a military cause to help fight a war one may or may not even believe in. If I felt strongly enough about kickin' some ass in a war I felt was worthy of fighting, I would sign up for the military myself.

Motokid said:
I wouldn't hesitate to guess that the jenngorhams are far and away much better humans that Mr. Hendrix turns out to have been.

mmm, don't put me on too high a pedastel moto. i'm afraid of heights. i have fucked up plenty. have i ever said i was gay to get out of serving in the military nooooo, but i've done my fair share of not so nice things.

sirmyk said:
as being picked (randomly?) for joining a military cause to help fight a war one may or may not even believe in.

Hendrix was not drafted...he volunteered to get out of a prison sentence for auto theft....

jenngorham said:
mmm, don't put me on too high a pedastel moto. i'm afraid of heights. i have fucked up plenty. have i ever said i was gay to get out of serving in the military nooooo, but i've done my fair share of not so nice things.

If I put you high enough I can look up your skirt.... :eek:

I said I was guessing....but I don't know for sure...don't tarnish my image of your perfection jennashleagorhspamzilla....as your bouncing across the beach in the opening of the show....

Motokid said:
Hendrix was not drafted...he volunteered to get out of a prison sentence for auto theft....
Ah, I missed that part. So he dodged prison by joining a war, and then dodged the war by pretending (?) to be gay? That's a little messed up (or extremely smart).

Back