• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Joe Hill: Heart Shaped Box

Michelleje

Has anyone read King's son's book Heart Shaped Box? He goes by the name Joe Hill. I have yet to purchase it, but plan to. Interested to know what others think of the story.

I haven't read this one yet either but I want to, so I'll be interested in what people think too.

It has mixed reviews on amazon.co.uk but tending to the bad side. I never put too much faith in reviews because everyone had their own opinion of what is good or not, so I would like to read it for myself.
Interesting to know what people think though.

It has mixed reviews on amazon.co.uk but tending to the bad side. I never put too much faith in reviews because everyone had their own opinion of what is good or not

I've just read the reviews. They do tend toward the bad but these negative reviews are the more constructive when compared to the five stars who spend more time mentioning Stephen King, who has nothing to do with the novel, than Hill.

I also took a moment to look at the novella by the other son, Owen King. It has less reviews but they seem more favourable. (And I don't know what ever happened to Tabitha King's books over in the UK: I've never seen one on sale.)

eyez0nme is a fervent despiser of the King family. I thought it was just the patriarch, but it would seem the entire clan is his target. He's no doubt not read it.

(And I don't know what ever happened to Tabitha King's books over in the UK: I've never seen one on sale.)

They used to be on sale all the time over here. Haven't seen any in the last 10 years or so, though... I seem to recall reading one. It didn't leave much of an impression. Then again, I don't rate Julian Lennon's records and Jesse Dylan's movies very highly either.

Joe Hill

I have a friend that read his book and loved it. I'll be reading soon and will post an update.

I've just ordered it and as soon as I've read it I'll post my thoughts too.

Where did the Tabitha King thing come from?
I've just started reading one of hers called The Trap so they are still around. has a very old cover though.

I recently passed by it while in the library the other day and picked it up (recently being yesterday). I'm around page 70-somethign or so, but so far the novel seems to be moving in a right direction, however, there are a few things to note.

The main character is supposedly 54, and by the way he acts, thinks, and talks, you can't help but picture him as some young angsty 20-something year old, or at a least a thirty year old character. This isn't that big to the overall story, but it's just odd dealing with a character this unadult-like (awesome word, yeah?), who is supposedly past the 50-age mark.

The writing style is not bad per say, however, I've noticed it leans towards what I call Harry Potter writing. As in, very basic, very easy to follow, but some times annoying. Like Harry Potter, though, the imagination and idea behind this book kept me reading up to where I am now.

Unlike his dad, Hill gets to the point of the story from the beginning, so that's a nice change (yes, I did pick this up knowing who his dad was, and yes, I did compare them), from King's usual "let's talk about random bullshit for 50 or so pages and then get to the plot," style.

The characters--this is all personal taste though, so don't listen to this too much--are just a tad...stupid? There's the 54-year old teenage drama queen, the suckup guy who isn't too interesting, and the gothic girl. Again, I am not too far into this book just yet, so my opinions of them could, and most likely will, change.

I've been busy this weekend and have only been reading parts of this novel when I got the free time at work (no customers, whip it out and get a few pages in), but so far it is a very enjoyable, not too explicate story with a simple road to follow (again, there might be plot twists I'm not aware of, have to keep tossing that in), and the road it paves is one that is enjoyable to walk on.

From what I've read so far, I'd say he's nowhere near the talent of his father, but he does have the skill to keep you entertained. I wouldn't recommend buying it just yet, but hey, to each their own, I still say it's worth picking up.

Exactly as I would've put it. :)

Good job.

Actually, you said it was crap and no one should read it, SevenWritez said it was entertaining and recommended it. Then again, taken your stated opinion that a writer can simultaneously be good and a "pile of donkey crap", I guess it's not surprising that you're having trouble reading even your own posts sometimes.

I would like to restate my opinion after reaching page one hundred fifty something.

**** this book--save your money. Thank you libraries.

The characters are boring and so is the plot...it may get better but I've been bored reading it and ended up starting another novel.

Back