• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

John Fante

Kenny Shovel

As most of my posts here have been in the more off-topic boards, I'll pull my finger out and actually talk about books, or in this case one of my favourite writers. I actually wrote this for another book board I frequent but it's ripe for re-use...

John Fante

Fante grew up the son of poor Italian immigrant parents in 1920’s and 30’s America, an upbringing that was to feature greatly in his writing. Despite the objection of his rather overbearing father, Fante left home and headed to Los Angeles as soon as he could to begin a career as a writer, and, like others with similar dreams, the brilliance of his work didn’t make getting published and building a readership any easier. Eventually Fante drifted into writing screenplays for Hollywood, work he considered ‘hack’; but the money was good and the work was far easier than the backbreaking toil of the world he’d come from.
Fante kept writing novels, novellas and short stories outside of his nine to five occupation in ‘the dream factory’ but it seemed that his was to be an overlooked talent, remembered by only a few. Fortunately, someone who hadn’t forgotten his work, and the effect it had on him, was the cult American poet Charles Bukowski, who never failed to mention him as an influence. Through Bukowski, people found Fante, and slowly, late on in his life, recognition came his way, until now, where he is considered an important figure in 20th Century American literature.

But for all this, Fante is not for everyone. His work is rooted deep in the world he came from, and a harsh dog eat dog world it can sometimes seem. His protagonists often appear to be closely drawn on himself, and he never shies away from painting a less than flattering picture. For example, his alter-ego Arturo Bandini, the star of a number of his novels, is an arrogant self-centred man yet one you can’t walk away from, you’re having far to much fun observing him.
Now, the flawed hero is a familiar figure in literature, but one that in the hands of many writers comes across as an elaborate conceit, an extension of the author’s ego. Look at me, it seems to cry out, I can create a character, make him cross ethical and moral boundaries that would stop you in your tracks and yet I can still make you empathise with him. It’s a trick that can sometimes leave a sour taste in the mouth.
But with Fante it is different, he is not giving you characters with flaws, he is giving you flawed human beings. People taken from Fante’s own experiences as a poor second-generation Italian immigrant, a ‘dago’ that society looked down on. It would be easy to play this for sympathy, but Fante prefers the route of a more painful truth; that those who are having mud kicked in their face by people higher up the ladder sometimes turn round and do the same to those they consider below them.

The reality of the world portrayed in his work is not their only draw, as Fante was a master storyteller and one with a beautiful, clean, writing style.
I’m sure if you go though many of the classics you’ll find writers who are masters of prose; capable of curling language round every object in a room, every action taken, every emotion felt, until the whole scene seems to be laid out in front of you like a photograph. They are rightly lauded for their greatness. But there is another kind of greatness, writers who can describe a scene in 3 pages rather than 15 with no loss in clarity for the reader.
Fante does this with a seemingly effortless skill. You can read a scene and be left with a crystal clear image of what happened and yet you can’t understand how, as there seemed to be no prose, no description. So you go back, and re-read, and you see how beautifully economic scraps of information are dropped into the narrative; just enough to allow you to create the scene for yourself. Fante doesn’t need reams of prose to create an image in your mind, he does something far cleverer, he creates truthful situations that the readers own experiences can fill in; he has the genius of simplicity.

Now at this point I should probably recommend the best of his work to you, and if someone’s really interested I will. Far better though if you try and find one of his books in the library or a shop. If you can find one, and it may be a struggle, just open it up and read a few pages; his work is pretty consistent, so any few pages of any of his works should give you a flavour of his writing. If you don’t like it, no problem, there are plenty of other books for you, but if you do, then I’ve just cost you a fair bit of money, as you’ll end up buying everything of his you can find.

John Fante, my kind of writer.

Ask the Dust certainly got me to buy the rest of his books. Luckily, Black Sparrow published them about ten years ago.

'Ask The Dust' is probably his best, and best known, work. The Novella/Short Story 'My Dog Stupid' is also a personal favourite.

Stewart said:
It wasn't in the thread's title, Kenny. ;)
Indeed, it had been cunningly hidden directly above the list.

Stewart said:
Off topic, Kenny, thanks for introducing me to John Fante. :)
You may have got on board before the bandwagon starts with Fante as "Ask the Dust" has been made into a film with Colin Farrell taking the lead; he's far too tall and good looking for the part IMO, but there you go.

I've been meaning for some time to add a review of all Fante's available works in a thread I'd started about him, but depending on what you've read so far I would say that whilst the Arturo Bandini novels are his most well known work, his real genius is in the shorter form. I'd especially put in a word for the novella "My Dog Stupid" in the "West of Rome" collection.

Incidently John's son Dan Fante is also a writer, one who's style mixes his father's great champion Charles Bukowski with the man himself; the result is pretty uncompremising. He may be a bit of an acquired taste, but I think he maintains the family name well.

Regards,

K-S

Kenny Shovel said:
depending on what you've read so far...

That would be the first hundred pages of Wait Until Spring, Bandini; I've got The Bandini Quartet anthology. I think it's his prose style I really like; I'll certainly put up a review once I've read it.

Stewart said:
That would be the first hundred pages of Wait Until Spring, Bandini; I've got The Bandini Quartet anthology.
Ah yes, that’s the new blue covered one from canongate; I bought that to replace my old copies of the various books. One of the best things they did with that anthology was to incorporate Buckowski’s forward to “Ask The Dust”, which is a bit of a classic of its type.

Stewart said:
I think it's his prose style I really like
Well yes, it’s wonderful; you can think of any number of modern writers who seem to suffer from a kind of descriptive diarrhoea in comparison.

Stewart said:
I'll certainly put up a review once I've read it.
Ok, I’d be interested in that, perhaps a link to it can be put in the John Fante thread. Speaking of which I think I’ll PM a mod to move these posts about him over there too.

Just thought I'd say 'I love Ask the Dust.' I read 'The Brotherhood of the Grape' first. That did nothing for me and I wonderered what Charles Bukowski was going on about in his praise.

It was a couple of years later I got 'Ask the Dust'. Then I knew! The rest of the Bandini books are good.

I do like Dan Fante's Chump Change, Mooch and Spitting off Tall Buildings. He is as good as his father in my opinion.

Here are my replicated thoughts on Fante, whom I only recently started reading after a long period of irrational dislike of 'beat literature' :rolleyes: (if he even counts as beat...)

John Fante first came to my attention when I saw the first paragraph of the novel used as the epigraph to Bret Easton Ellis's 1994 collection of stories, The Informers.

One night I was sitting on the bed in my hotel room on Bunker Hill, down in the very middle of Los Angeles. It was an important night in my life, because I had to make a decision about the hotel. Either I paid up or I got out: that was what the note said, the note the landlady had put under my door. A great problem, deserving acute attention. I solved it by turning out the lights and going to bed.

Probably Ellis intended to use this to infuse his collection with the essence of Fante, as his characters were modern versions of Fante's: feckless, drifting, irresponsible. There the similarities end though, for Ellis's characters derive their plotlessness from an excess of money and unregarded privilege, whereas Fante's have the opposite. Also, Ellis's characters are suffering - to cite the blurb - from the death of the soul, whereas Fante's are bursting with heart and soul from the first page.

Ask the Dust was published in 1939 but it feels entirely fresh. Like his disciple Bukowski (by an embarrassing coincidence, I read what I thought was the opening of Ask the Dust in the bookshop and liked it enough to buy it, only to get home and realise what I had liked so much was the start of the introduction, penned by Charles Bukowski: Kenny above rightly calls it a classic of its type), Fante uses mostly ordinary, unordained language to extraordinarily vivid effect. This makes the occasional fine phrase - 'the waves eating the shore' - all the more arresting. We live right alongside Fante's alter ego Arturo Bandini as he struggles with his writing, his love Camilla, and his own zigzagging sense of self-worth. For comparisons to Bukowski (or vice versa, as Fante was writing thirty years earlier), Bandini is not actually as low and hopeless as Bukowski's Henry Chinaski. He has a fair measure of success with his writing, and his mostly one-way love affair with his 'publisher' J.C. Hackmuth is frequently hilarious.

Nonetheless the essence of the Depression and life lived on a day-to-day basis pervades the book and infuses it with a powerful sense of sadness. For the record, too, I started reading Ask the Dust immediately after giving up on The Grapes of Wrath which I found tiresome beyond measure. Both were published in 1939, and for me Ask the Dust conveyed the essence of an era as well as the word-bloat of Grapes failed entirely to.

I then went on to read The Brotherhood of the Grape, which was another fine read, if slightly less impressive and immediate than Ask the Dust. What it did do wonderfully well was portray the love-and-hate of family life both touchingly and amusingly.

Shade said:
portray the love-and-hate of family life both touchingly and amusingly

I think this is quite an important aspect of Fante’s writing, in particular his short stories. I’ve read a number of reviewers who much prefer his novels, which they regard as being darker and richer in content than the more ‘sentimental’ shorter work. Personally I take the opposite view; perhaps because I’m a bit of a sucker for the child’s POV in literature, perhaps because I don’t find his portrayal of the rough and tumble of a large family and his unsympathetic paternal figures to be all that sentimental.

BTW, I’d agree with your comparison of Bandini and Chinaski. You might be interested in the books of Fante’s son Dan and seeing how his alter-ego Bruno Dante (can you see what he’s done there) matches up.

Yes I stumbled upon Dan Fante when searching for John. His three novels are out of print in the UK (never having made it into 'proper' paperback, just large-format 'paperback original', so I'm guessing they didn't sell that well), but I will keep an eye out for them on eBay and Amazon Marketplace.

Shade said:
Yes I stumbled upon Dan Fante when searching for John. His three novels are out of print in the UK (never having made it into 'proper' paperback, just large-format 'paperback original', so I'm guessing they didn't sell that well), but I will keep an eye out for them on eBay and Amazon Marketplace.

Are you familiar with abebooks? They have some great bargins for the wary hunter..

I am indeed, abecedarian. However I have little faith in them as about half the orders I have placed with their various member stores have ended up being cancelled as the book was pre-sold... and I hate that! :mad:

Shade said:
I am indeed, abecedarian. However I have little faith in them as about half the orders I have placed with their various member stores have ended up being cancelled as the book was pre-sold... and I hate that! :mad:

Paint me dumb, but how can they do that? Are the sellers not obligated to keep their sale information updated?

Shade said:
...Sound of penny dropping...so that's why some of my paperbacks are bigger than others, they're paperback originals...what I know about the contemporary book scene you could write on the back of a stamp, with a large felt tip pen...

...I must have been lucky to get my copies then, although I think I still saw some on the shelves at Foyles, along with his collection of poems "A Gin Pissing, Raw Meat, Dual Carburettor V-8 Son-of-a-Bitch from Los Angeles" which I also mean to get at some point...

Shade said:
You'd think so, wouldn't you!

Shame on them then:mad: Anyway, I just did a quick check at half.com and they have 53 listings for John Fante. I've had good luck with them. In fact, just this afternoon I received a book I ordered from them last week.

...abebooks, half.com...I'm gunna have to write this stuff down, apparently that stamp is smaller than I thought...

*makes mental note to pay more attention to modern world*

Has anyone else seen the film of 'Ask the Dust?'

I did think they'd kill it when I heard they were making it. After reading the appalling reviews - I thought they had.

I've just seen it, it's not too bad at all. Matt Dillon does a good Bandini.

I wouldn't want to watch the film again, but it has made me want to read the book again.

If you hadn't read and loved the book - I suppose the film would appear p*ss poor.

Back