• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

John Grisham

Read the King of Torts whilst on my brief sojourn (ooh look, big clever words!! :p ) to Rome.

Not bad, one of his better ones actually, the story of the rise and fall of a lawyer who finds himself out of his depth in the cutthroat world of mass tort legislation (if you understood any of that, then you know more than i did before i read the book!)

Phil

Wait, hang on, lemme get this right!!?

You go to Rome ... you know, one of the most beautiful cities in the world ... with your .. fiancee, was it? .. in any case, with a women you love (I assume) . . .

. . . and you read a bloody book?!

Are you mad?!

Anyway, did you have a good time?

Cheers, martin :D

TWO books actually!! I read them on the plane anyway :p

You know what SHE went and did?? Bought herself a bloody Gameboy tax-free at the airport and hogged it herself the whole trip!! :D

And yes, i love her very much!! (Which im glad about, as she's agreed to marry me for reasons i cant quite fathom!!)

(Except for the fact that im gorgeous, obviously :) )

Phil

You sound like a lovely couple, you reading, her playing the gameboy! Match made in heaven!

And on you being gorgeous?
puke.gif

Cheers, Martin :D

I rather like John Grisham. The rather lawyerly tone of his books can be intresting and absorbing and he has written some quite good books including but not limited to The Summons, The Chamber, The King of Torts etc. [The later is my favorite work of his.] But alongside these he has also brought forth some very ordinary, hack, buck-wringing works like The Pelican Brief and most specially The Rainmaker.
I believe he should stick to what he can write best [The only thing he can write, IMO.], bright, young lawyers facing all sorts of difficulting and pitfalls and big, meety law firms with a thousand secrets stuffed in their showy offices and a general bashing of lawyers and the judical retinue.

I have read a few of his books and I must say that I found most of them very predictable,specialy The Pelican Brief and The Firm, the only one I liked was A Time to Kill.I prefer Scott Turow.

I just finished The King of Torts as well... great book except for the ending. I was really hoping that more of the issues that arose during the book would be resolved at the end, but I suppose it is more like real life to leave things a twisted mess.

I still have to read "The Partner", "Runaway Jury", "Chamber" and "The Firm" - But I have read the others. Grisham, I must say, is one of my favorite authors. This, if only because "The Client" is one of my favorite books. *sniffles* I really hated the ending to "The Client", it was and still is disappointing to read the end... but it is very practical. I guess that's why I like him. His books are believable, whle still giving a sense of thrill. And he is very good at making one 'fall in love' with a character, for lack of a better saying.

Hi Zoleth & welcome to the forum! :)
Have you read The Last Juror then? If so, what did you think?(without spoiling anything for anyone)

RaVeN

RaVeN said:
Hi Zoleth & welcome to the forum! :)
Have you read The Last Juror then? If so, what did you think?(without spoiling anything for anyone)

RaVeN

Thanks for the Welcome! :)

Let's see... what to say without spoling it? Hmmm..

Well, it is, to me, one of his novels having less to do with the legal system? *shrugs* I wouldn't put it ranking with my favorites by him, butit's still a very good book. Ugh... not sure how much I can say without spoiling it for people.

True. Other than The Painted House, Bleechers & Skipping Christmas, this one had the least to do with lawyers. I really liked the relationship that the main character had with "the last juror" though and esp liked the ending....though it was predictable.
And you must read The Firm. Much better than the movie.

RaVeN

read quite a few of his books, but none of them stick in my mind!! Never got to the end of the painted house, despite reading the first 3 quarters of it 4 or 5 times!!!

sue :D :D :D

Just finished a marathon book session, managed The Testament, The King of Torts, The Street Lawyer (one of his best IMHO) and The Runaway Jury all back to back!lol!
Is there anyone else here who has read The Street Lawyer? What did you think?

beefcake08 said:
Is there anyone else here who has read The Street Lawyer? What did you think?

I'll be the one to confess. I read it & liked it. But for some reason, I can get the image out of my head of having Don Johnson & Cheech playing leading roles in a TV spinoff. :(

RaVeN

Back