• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

John Grisham

Well, ah, Grisham isn't that very hot, but I love him, because he writes what appeal to guys. His earlier books are wonderful, except for new books like The Brethen which would make you smile alot, and the King of Torts. And besides, who wouldn't love to read about a guy who lucky bagged 100 million dollars? His style aren't that too intense, but he's a good fantasist! He writes about what the male criminal side desires!

My favourite Grisham is still A Time To Kill (though that might be because the movie features my boyfriend all sweaty and passionate*) though I really liked The Street Lawyer too.

*note* Yes, I am well aware that I am in fact a lesbian. For Matthew, and ONLY for Matthew, I'd reconsider.

A Time to Kill is my favorite at the moment. There was such heart-wrenching material to deal with surrounding the little girl's rape, but Grisham still incorporated humorous dialogue between the characters at times. I felt somewhat guilty for laughing at times, but I see that it was to break the tension amidst the serious business surrounding the trial and everything. I also have a copy of The Client, but I never did finish reading the ending. I'll have to remedy that someday.

I can't stand A Time to Kill because of the detailed descriptions o the child's rape. There isn't any need for it - child rape is horrifying enough without going into details, any detail, the fact is quite enough, and the reader does not need to know that the child had her legs tied apart etc.
All it serves to do is act as a sort of repellant titilation, the book doesn't need it as the story was quite strong enough without the firsst ew pages.

I just finished The Testament. It was quite enjoyable if you are into easy reads that don't sprain too many brain cells. :D

I was totally hooked from the beginning; the first few chapters were great, and then it settled down into a story that took off into a different direction that I was expecting. Yes, it's still a "lawyer book", but this one seemed to have a different focus, which made it a bit more interesting to read. :)

I was extremely unimpressed with A Painted House, but I actually rather like the one I'm reading now of his, The Runaway Jury. I was shocked that I liked it at all, and even while I'm reading it, I'm a bit unsure. Things move very slowly, but somehow the way things are written keeps my attention anyway.

Wow, my first post and I revived an old thread at that! I welcome myself. Do comicbooks count here? :p :D Just finished 'The Testament' too and gotta say it was a good read; it has some dragging moments but still made me enjoy the book. It made me wonder who could those characters be based on? Interesting characters like Troy Phelan, Josh Stafford, Nate O'Riley, and awe-inspiring places like Brazil, Corumba, the Pantanal.

And ofcourse I was really amazed by Rachel Lane, what a good soul. Hope I could meet a lady like that sometime. ;)

Refusing a gift like that and devote herself to God and help and preach the Gospel to the native people of the Pantanal is very remarkable. Although I somewhat predicted the climax, I still didn't like it. :mad: Why did she have to...ooops, just read the book. Poor Nate, I thought he could have had a shot with....:p , well, I understand the climax for dramatic and unpredictability purposes BUT I still didn't like it. :mad:

Don't have spoiler tags in my edit posting so just read this - SPOILER AHEAD! SPOILER AHEAD! SPOILER AHEAD! SPOILER AHEAD! SPOILER AHEAD! SPOILER AHEAD! SPOILER AHEAD! SPOILER AHEAD! SPOILER AHEAD! SPOILER AHEAD! SPOILER AHEAD! SPOILER AHEAD! SPOILER AHEAD! SPOILER AHEAD! SPOILER AHEAD! SPOILER AHEAD!

I thought the climax would be better if Rachel asked the chief to fake her death and just show Nate their fake graves and the chief giving Nate her testament while she is afar watching them, so the world wouldn't be searching for her anymore and still continue her work uninterrupted even while her cause just got a big financial boost -- I think this can be a good idea if there's a movie adaptation of this novel.

End of Spoiler:
Since Grisham is a Baptist and spent time in Brazil, I wonder if Rachel lane was based on an actual person, if she is, then it's confidential like in the book. :)

Just finished 'The Testament' too and gotta say it was a good read; it has some dragging moments but still made me enjoy the book.

I read this book seven years ago and don't remember anything about it other than I severely didn't like it. Whether it was the bulk of the book, I can't remember, but I certainly recall my disgust at the conclusion which was nothing more than a brazen deus ex machina.

Oh, and I fixed your spoilers. Surround the spoiler with the tags mentioned in the Edited by... line and it will black out the text.

I read this book seven years ago and don't remember anything about it other than I severely didn't like it. Whether it was the bulk of the book, I can't remember, but I certainly recall my disgust at the conclusion which was nothing more than a brazen deus ex machina.

Oh, and I fixed your spoilers. Surround the spoiler with the tags mentioned in the Edited by... line and it will black out the text.

severely didn't like it? awww, too bad. Do you think the climax was predictable? Others said it was, but I think it wasn't, and it was a sad one...and poor Nate, like i said he could have a shot. :)

It's a thriller, so I probably did find it predictable. It was one of those books you pick up because there's sod all other books around (I was on a ship) and you've read all the rest. Horror was my thing then but I wasn't averse to trying something new.

It remains the only Grisham I've read and will no doubt always have that distinction.

At the moment I'm on my first Grisham book, A Painted House.

I've read 230 pages in 2 days if that tells you anything about how I've been hooked in. I'm very interested to see how it comes out. After I finish it, I'll probably look into some of his other stuff. I've never really read a lawyer type book before so I might like it, might not.

But I'm pretty impressed with Grisham thus far.

I haven't read any of Grisham's newest books, but a few of his older ones. My favorites are A Time to Kill, The Client, and The Rainmaker. I thought The Firm was pretty dull.

the past few books he wrote bored me to tears. my fave is A Time To Kill as well. Did enjoy The Chamber too

There were two books by John Grisham at a local car boot sale, in very good condition too but did I buy them, no!! :rolleyes: Wish I had now! Will return to same boot sale in the hope that they are still there!! :D Ana xx

You know who I haven't read in a very loooong time? Tom Clancy...but that's another thread. Sorry folks.

Back