• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Jonathan Lethem

novella

I just read a great piece in this week's New Yorker by Jonathan Lethem. It's a memoir-type piece called "The Beards," which is structured around particular music that he was listening to at certain stages of life and what it meant and what else was happening at the time, sort of like a biographical soundtrack. He writes about music well, with a lot of personal insight and feeling.

He recently wrote the novel Fortress of Solitude, which I think I might pick up. I read the opening chapter online at the NY Times (great first chapters online section there, free), and I like his style. Though I'm pretty sure I wouldn't go for his early SF books.

I've only read Motherless Brooklyn, which is a masterpiece, one of the most original crime novels for years.

I shall definitely be reading more by this chap.

I finished The Fortress of Solitude yesterday. The book felt too cluttered; it felt like Lethem had all these ideas he wanted to get down on paper and was indifferent as to how they fit together. It seemed as if he was more interested in trying to tell us that he can be a clever and convention-defying writer instead of telling us a cohesive story. I did like some aspects of the book (mainly the portrayal of 1970's Brooklyn and the music commentary), but this is not one I'd go out of my way to recommend.

With that said, I wouldn't mind picking up another Jonathan Lethem novel. He did show some promise of telling a good story (at least when he wasn't trying to impress the reader with his literary bag of tricks), and I did enjoy his style of writing.

Just finished "Motherless Brooklyn". And I STILL haven't read anything by Lethem I didn't absolutely adore, even if this wasn't a masterpiece on quite the same level as "Fortress Of Solitude" which remains one of the best books I've read. This is both an excellent and innovative detective story and an autopsy of the detective story as form of literature. By having a narrator who suffers from Tourette's syndrome and is thus constantly ticcing verbally, riffing on conversations and clues, ripping everything apart and reorganizing it into puns, anagrams, jokes and insults only to then try and piece it together into something he can use to understand the case he's working on, Lethem turns the story into not only a whodunnit but a... uh... howwedoit. "It" being life and how we see it. And of course, Lethem's style in itself consists a lot of taking apart various influences and sticking them together in new ways, so there's a double re/deconstruction thing going on. At the same time, it never gets too post-modern for its own good, remaining at heart a hard-boiled detective story. Very impressive. I need to read more Lethem.

I've only read (as yet) Gun, with Occasional Music but it is very much a "Re/De-construction" effort (a melange of sci-fi and hard-boiled detective story).
I enjoyed the book, but it definitely shows signs of being a first novel. Eric Garcia's Anonymous Rex covers the same ground much more effectively in my opinion.
However, I am looking forward to reading Lethem's later books.

funes said:
Eric Garcia's Anonymous Rex covers the same ground much more effectively in my opinion.

I agree Anonymous Rex was better, but then I liked it better because it was funnier. Of Lethem's books I've read, my favorite has got to be Motherless Brooklyn. Loved the main character - the actual mystery was almost secondary. I enjoyed Girl in Landscape as well, thought it was a nice update on the 'pioneer' story. I have Fortress of Solitude on my bookshelf but haven't cracked it open yet. I should.

Yeah, I even wondered if Garcia's book (Anonymous Rex) and Lethem's book (Gun, . . . ) both stemmed from some common writing execize. They're both West Coast guys, I think. But, that really doesn't matter. I picked up Fortress of Solitude today - and it's moving up in my TBR pile.

I haven't read anything by Lethem yet, but I have Fortress of Solitude on my TBR pile, too, and am determined to read it sometime this year! I'm glad to hear that so many of you like him.

I am in love. I could not believe the genius behind Motherless Brooklyn. Has anyone else out there read it??? The Fortress of Solitude is spectacular in its own right as well. But I was knocked off my feet by Motherless. What a story, what characters! I cannot wait to read his other stuff.

Agree completely, Lethem is amazing (check my sig) though I think I may have preferred "Fortress" slightly to "Motherless Booklyn" - both solid 5/5 in my book. I haven't had time yet to read his other novels, but I'm currently finishing his semi-autobiographical pop-cultural essay collection "The Disappointment Artist", which is highly recommended. His and Carter Scholz' "Kafka Americana" (a collection of short stories re-imagining Kafka and his stories set in 20th century USA) is a hoot too.

Great recommendations! What struck me about Motherless and Fortress was how different they are. Could have been written by 2 completely different people. Thats genuis. Fortress was wonderful, the city itself playing a key role as a character. I also loved the adolesecent sense of magic he threw in. I'm a sucker for a good detective novel or book and thats one of the reasons I fell so hard for Motherless. Its the most unique and fascinating detective stories I have ever read!

Smila, there's an existing discussion thread for Lethem here which contains more comments and opinions. He's one of my favorite writers and yes, Motherless Brooklyn was my favorite of all his books.

Smila, there's an existing discussion thread for Lethem here which contains more comments and opinions. He's one of my favorite writers and yes, Motherless Brooklyn was my favorite of all his books.

Oops, sorry bout that. I'll look closer next time I start a new thread! Maybe an Administrator could merge this with the other one?

Oops, sorry bout that. I'll look closer next time I start a new thread! Maybe an Administrator could merge this with the other one?

No worries, Smila. Just thought you'd like to see there were others who agree with you, including me. :D I love your avatar - is it from a painting?

No worries, Smila. Just thought you'd like to see there were others who agree with you, including me. :D I love your avatar - is it from a painting?

Yes, its a portrait! Just heard Edward Norton interviewed on NPR - he is adapating Motherless Brooklyn for the screen!! Actually, he would be a great choice for the lead as well.

So, You Don't Love Me Yet by Jonathan Lethem.

At the beginning of this book, two of the main characters go to an art exhibit consisting of a large white cube entitled "Chamber Containing The Volumetric Representation of the Number of Hours It Took Me to Arrive At This Idea". They sneak inside it and have sex. And I can't quite shake the idea that Lethem is aware that that's a pretty good summation of his new novel; clever, ironic, funny, occasionally sexy (Woody Allen sex, not Penthouse sex)... but as if the sum total of it is no more than "Book Containing 224 Pages Filled With What Happens To The Main Characters In The Time It Took To Write It".

Sure, it's hilarious sometimes. He's come up with a cast that is just slightly too quirky, a just slightly too-good-natured-to-be-vicious attack on the whole hipster music scene that makes the book come across as a little bit of a novelization of Questionable Content, and a satire on the whole idea of owning - whether it be things, persons or ideas; stealing kangaroos is right, stealing songs are wrong. He lands some pretty good punches at the whole immaterial rights debate (and what is more immaterial yet essential than love?). (Incidentally, I paid US $36 for this immaterial fun. I'm just saying.)

But yet there's something missing. I think Lethem would appreciate a pop culture reference, so I'm going to quote Neil Young:
Well, the artist looked at the producer, the producer sat back
He said "What we have got here is a pretty good track
But we don't have a vocal and we don't have a song
If we could get this thing accomplished nothin' else could go wrong"
So he balanced the ashtray and he picked up the phone
And said "Send me a songwriter who's drifted far from home
And make sure that he's hungry and make sure he's alone
And send me a cheeseburger and a new Rolling Stone"
In his attempt to satirize man's obsession with what he doesn't have, what he can't own, what he can't do by himself (there's a lot of masturbation going on here too, both physically by the characters and mentally by the writer) Lethem has a pretty good track but seems to have forgotten to make it all into a song, something with a hook, something cohesive, something with substance. Apparently, some smart Hollywood producer has bought the rights to this and is presumably going to try and turn it into something palatable for the mass market. The irony of that isn't half as funny as the book is at its best, but it's hard to overlook.

I'm rambling. A book should of course stand on its own, without my prejudice about its later use. But it helps if it CAN, and Lethem's recurring mantra of "you can't be deep without a surface" seems to miss out on the fact that even the ocean's depths are actually filled with LIFE as well - not just quirkiness, verbal jousting and the odd satirical bit. That sounds harsh. Sorry. But he got my hopes up with his previous stuff, and I'll accept nothing less than genius from Mr Lethem. This is funny, cute, occasionally somewhat poignant (though it's nothing he hasn't covered before) and I really DO like it - I just don't love it. 3.5/5.

Men And Cartoons.

Lethem's second short story collection isn't a bad effort at all, but funnily enough (considering how good an essayist he is), I'm not sure the format suits him. Several of the pieces here feel like outtakes from a longer story, that sacrifice the character and thematic developments of a novel but don't quite pack the punch of a great short story. If you've read Fortress of Solitude (and you should) there's really not much new in stories like The Vision or Planet Big Zero, and sci-fi stories like Access Fantasy may be entertaining but come across as too obviously Vonnegut-meets-Bradbury without the sharp observations of either. That said, The Spray is a brilliant idea done very well (a couple are robbed, the police use a mystical spray to identify what's missing from their apartment, and the couple then turn the spray on each other to see what's unspoken between them...), The Dystopianist, Thinking of his Rival, is Interrupted by a Knock on the Door is not just a great title, and Super Goat Man makes the perhaps best use yet of Lethem's fascination with comic book heroes by featuring a jaded and retired superhero trying to make a living as a college teacher in Nixon's America - and then showing us exactly why heroes retire, and what happens to those who trusted in them; superhero deconstructions are a thirteen per dozen these days, but Super Goat Man is one of the better.

Lethem is never not entertaining, and when he gets it right, that Pynchon-lite walk through an America built as much by Stan Lee as by Abraham Lincoln, populated by people trying to pick up the world their forebears handed them in bright colours promising caped baddies and upstanding heroes that somehow never delivered, works very well in short story form as well. But Men And Cartoons is a little too slight, with one or two stories too many that just fizzle out without going neither SPLAT nor POW. :star3:

Has anyone read "Procedure in Plain Air" by Letham yet? It was published in the New Yorker last week.

I´m quite at a loss as to how to interpret the piece. Does anyone have any ideas/insights??

Thanks.

SA

Back