• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Juggle more than one?

Do you read more than one book at a time?

• Yes - I read more than one book at a time

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • No - I only read a single book at a time

Votes: 9 42.9%

• Total voters

Wabbit

I was wondering, how many books you read at one time?

A friend of mine always has 2 - 3 or maybe more going at any time. I only, ever, read one book at a time. The only execption to this rule is if the other book is a non-fiction book. I just, personally, like to enter the world of a book and get lost there. I know it will sound weird. If I read another book at the same time, then it's like the first world is less real because it's taking me away from there. Hard to explaine :)

So how many books do you like to have going at one time? :)

Regards
SillyWabbit

Since I'm in school we are often assigned several books from various classes, so on top of them there are the books I want to read. So, sometimes I do read more than one book at a time, whether it be fiction or non-fiction. Sometimes I'm reading fiction and non-fiction, and sometimes I'm reading a few fictional works. I usually don't just read non-fiction though. Anyway, that's about it for me for now.

I prefer to read one at a time. Occasionally, for some reason (often having to do with the fact that the 1st book is not in a handy location at the time) I'll pick up a different one when I'm in the middle of the 1st book, and when that happens I usually read the 2nd one all the way thru before returning to the 1st one.

Usually just one at a time but sometimes I'll leave one in my locker at work so I don't have to carry it back and forth every day. Carrying a hardback along with a lunchbox, maybe a jacket & the sporks Litany refuses to take out of me can be a burden at times.

RaVeN

I tend to go through one at a time to preserve continuity in my mind, although I can 'pause' the book to go watch a few movies/read a few magazines/pursue other interests.

I prefer to read one at a time. I can read more than one book at once, and have occasionally done so in the past, but I find it annoying to do so. I don't have trouble keeping track of what's happening in each book, but I just don't like doing it. I think it's like Wabbit said, I like to get fully immersed in the world of a story.

I, too, prefer to read one at a time, but college requires me to do a lot of reading next to my personal reading.

Cheers, Martin :cool:

I prefer to read one at a time, but i often have several on the go, if i find im struggling with something then i'll move onto something else and go back to it later :)

Phil

Usually, I'll just read the one book, but sometimes I'll read more than one. I read on the train, and when I'm waiting for the train, and sometimes I can't wait for a book to come out in the small paperback size if it's one I've been waiting for and it first comes out in that oversized paperback format I hate so much. Then it can get a bit heavy to cart back and forth to work with me, so I'll read that one at home and have a smaller book for work. Also harder to conceal larger books when I'm reading them at my desk. But then mostly I stick with the Esperanto for desk reading. Looks a bit more official, and if someone does look over my shoulder they can't decipher it anyway.

books

I like to read just one at a time and concentrate on it until I am done. I am in a quandary at the moment because after I was about 50 pages into a new book, I got an interlibrary loan book I had been waiting for and I need to start it so I am done with it on time.

My 9-year old daughter was reading over my shoulder when I answered the poll. "How can you only read one book at a time?" she asked. She usually has 5-8 going. In the summer, she may even have up to 20. Right now, it is 6 one-book readers and 4 multi-book readers. She hopes more multi-book readers vote.

I read more than one. I read two book sometimes. If one of them are really good that I have focus on one book and finished it and read other book.

Right now I'm reading three from three different categories, which seems to make it less confusing.

1. The O'Reilly Factor, by Bill O'Reilly
2. The Holy War, by John Bunyan
3. His Needs Her Needs, by Willard F. Harely, Jr. :rolleyes: OK OK, I'm really not a wuss...

:eek: Actually it's four because I am almost finished with Don Quixote, by Miguel Cervantes. I started this one a long time ago and never quite finished it so I am trying to knock it out so I won't be juggling so much.

i tend to have a lot on the go at once, usually all different genres that i dip into when i feel like it, could be months or days inbetween readings, for example i've got these on the go at the moment:

The gospel according to jesus christ - bit heavy
Elric omnibus - fantasy escapism light reading
Fup - short story nearly finished
Hard boiled wonderland and the end of the earth - the main book i'm reading
Ulysses - i will finish this tiresome book

so as you can see i usually have two main books on the go, one escapism book and a few heavy weights

ksky

Just one book at a time...I also like to get lost in the world of the book and mixing worlds is confusing.

I do, at times, have to read text-books for my college courses, but I don't really consider that reading more than one book at a time.

Back