• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Kate Chopin: The Storm

This should keep you busy for awhile, Libra.

Nathaniel Hawthorne: Young Goodman Brown
Ernest Hemingway: A Clean, Well-Lighted Place
Flannery O'Connor: Good Country People
Herman Melville: Bartleby the Scrivener
William Faulkner: A Rose for Emily
Irwin Shaw: The Girls in Their Summer Dresses
Edgar Allan Poe: Ligeia
Leo Tolstoy: The Death of Ivan Ilych
Tim O'Brein: On the Rainy River
Amy Hempel: In the Cemetery Where Al Jolson is Buried

I will search them and see which one is next since you can't decide.:whistling:

You need me to decide for you? I'm making it too easy for you. I'll wait for you to decide.

Still whistling The Fishin' Hole?

Well usually what I do is turn the light on and put my glasses on. Once that's done, it's easy to find it.

:lol::lol: I thought you got down on your knees in the dark and searched for it with your hands?

I was struck by how erotic the writing was, almost like a Penthouse forum letters (...from what I've heard, of course), even BEFORE Calixta and Alcee embraced and kissed. Examples:

sewing furiously on a sewing machine
she felt very warm
perspiration gathered in beads
she unfastened
Alcee rode his horse
"May I come ...till the storm is over?"
Alcee, mounting to the porch
snatched Bibi's braided jacket
the water beat in upon the boards in driving sheets
Alcee helped her to thrust it beneath the crack <------- !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was also surprised how quickly Alcee and Calixta embraced and shared a passionate moment. And how quickly it ended. Typical horse-riding male, I guess.

seoulman, how can I describe this story in two words? Quick and sweet?

For me reading it the second time around I picked up on
all that you mention above. For a short story, it gives you alot to think about.

It's a cool story. As I understand it, most of Chopins writings, including The Awakening, explore a womens attempt at self fulfillment.

This is my favorite thing about Chopin. So many female authors sell themselves short by writing a woman with no personal desires (sexual or otherwise) but Chopin always manages to surprise me :)

Sorry I'm late to the discussion, I thought we were starting today, oops! I'm glad you all enjoyed the story though, and I definitely agree with Seoulman about the language in this story. That is what I really loved about it the first time I read it. The Storm seems like such a quick, simple read but ends up having so many layers to deal with.

My, what a story - plenty of interesting symbolism.
libra said:
what does the shrimp have to do with it
Perhaps a reference to the size of Bobinôt's personal equipment? ;)

My, what a story - plenty of interesting symbolism. Perhaps a reference to the size of Bobinôt's personal equipment? ;)

asmileys.on_my_web.com_repository_Thinking_bad_idea_014.gif
oh my, I think you are right. Calixta does love shrimp, just not on that day I guess.:whistling:

Back