• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Kate Chopin: The Storm

Loved it. I am glad seoulman has started this short story idea.

Robert, I have realized that I see things black or white sometimes, and miss some points. I read the story 3 times, and noticed in the first pararaph it says " called the childs attention to certain sombre clouds that were rolling with sinister intention from the west...." Do you think it was like a preview
of what was going to happen at home?

Loved it. I am glad seoulman has started this short story idea.

Robert, I have realized that I see things black or white sometimes, and miss some points. I read the story 3 times, and noticed in the first pararaph it says " called the childs attention to certain sombre clouds that were rolling with sinister intention from the west...." Do you think it was like a preview
of what was going to happen at home?

Yes. Also, storm refers to something more then just the weather.

Does it mean the same thing on the second paragraph? and what does the shrimp have to do with it?

I'm sorry, do you [-]have a clue?[/-] need a clue? ;)
lol, me clueless.

Part II (first and second paragraphs)

Was Calixta preparing? "she felt very warm and often stopped to wipe her face on which the perspiration gathered beads. She unfastened her white sacque at her throat..."

Why did Alcee show up there and not find refuge elsewhere? oportunity?

Libra,

Storm also means passion. Chopin spent her years in the later half of the 19th centery. What were the expectations of women concerning passion?

Alcee and Calixta have not been alone since Calixtra married because they not only knew each other, but had a very passionate relationship. Alcee respected Calixtra so she was a virgin to her wedding night. There is the building storm because Calixtra's husband, Bobinot isn't capable of the passion that Calixtra has brewing. That's the symbolism of Bobinot and his son hiding from the storm which of course means he is avoiding passion.

Also note at the end that Clarisse, Alcee's wife, was only too happy not to hurry back, to forego their intimate conjugal life. Perhaps she isn't very comfortable with Alcee's passion.

Need more?

Libra,

Storm also means passion. Chopin spent her years in the later half of the 19th centery. What were the expectations of women concerning passion?

Alcee and Calixta have not been alone since Calixtra married because they not only knew each other, but had a very passionate relationship. Alcee respected Calixtra so she was a virgin to her wedding night. There is the building storm because Calixtra's husband, Bobinot isn't capable of the passion that Calixtra has brewing. That's the symbolism of Bobinot and his son hiding from the storm which of course means he is avoiding passion.
This part I was really not understanding, what the son had to do with the storm, thanks for the explanation.

Also note at the end that Clarisse, Alcee's wife, was only too happy not to hurry back, to forego their intimate conjugal life. Perhaps she isn't very comfortable with Alcee's passion.
This part I understood.

Need more?
Ofcourse, I am only at part II.

This part I was really not understanding, what the son had to do with the storm, thanks for the explanation.

This part I understood.

Ofcourse, I am only at part II.

Ok, then you understans.

It's a cool story. As I understand it, most of Chopins writings, including The Awakening, explore a womens attempt at self fulfillment.

So what's next?

Ok, then you understans.

It's a cool story. As I understand it, most of Chopins writings, including The Awakening, explore a womens attempt at self fulfillment.

So what's next?

Now that you have explained some things , I understand it better. It is a very good story.

Let me think about what's next.

I'm sorry, do you [-]have a clue?[/-] need a clue? ;)

Heh, the conversation on Page 1 is reminiscent of something that happened in a class I took on short stories. Most of us understood what this story was about . . . except for one poor soul. He assumed Chopin was just describing a storm. My professor responded that someone clearly missed the weather report. Before you ask, no that student was not me :p.

Back